Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Changing rear wheel bearing soon....

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-08, 06:32 PM
andrewdees
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing rear wheel bearing soon....

Hello, for the past few months ive heard a grinding sound coming from my driver side rear wheel. Ive taken the wheel off and inspected everything. Everythings good. I hear the noise as soon as I start driving but it goes away when I turn left - which means its a right side problem because of weight thansfer. Its hard to describe the noise but its like grind-grind-grind-grind etc...... it gets faster when the cars is driving faster and slower when I drive slower. If I jack up the rear tires and start the car, put it in drive and take it up to 30-40mph I cant hear. I think that since the weight of the car isnt on the bearings that they won;t make any noise. Anyways....I ordered a new bearing today and it should be here tomorrow.

Does this bearing have to be pressed from the hub? And do I need to grease it before reinstalling? THANKS!!!!!

-Drew
Old 11-29-09, 12:20 AM
mk4r34
Pole Position

Originally Posted by andrewdees
Hello, for the past few months ive heard a grinding sound coming from my driver side rear wheel. Ive taken the wheel off and inspected everything. Everythings good. I hear the noise as soon as I start driving but it goes away when I turn left - which means its a right side problem because of weight thansfer. Its hard to describe the noise but its like grind-grind-grind-grind etc...... it gets faster when the cars is driving faster and slower when I drive slower. If I jack up the rear tires and start the car, put it in drive and take it up to 30-40mph I cant hear. I think that since the weight of the car isnt on the bearings that they won;t make any noise. Anyways....I ordered a new bearing today and it should be here tomorrow.

Does this bearing have to be pressed from the hub? And do I need to grease it before reinstalling? THANKS!!!!!

-Drew
Bringing back an old thread to get an update!!..im having the same exact thing going on continuosly scrapping noise moving slow/fast even when i am braking to a complete stop and goes away on left turns but,it's coming from the driver rear..so was it your bearing or e-brake shoes?
Old 11-29-09, 09:37 AM
MarcusMIA
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's the bearing. I had the same symptoms.
Old 12-01-09, 12:50 AM
mk4r34
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MarcusMIA
It's the bearing. I had the same symptoms.
Did you also have the clunking/banging noise too?...I thought it was the bushings but,I replaced the camber arms/bushings except the top arm bushings..im hoping that's the cause of the bearing too!
Old 12-01-09, 09:24 AM
MarcusMIA
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember a clunking banging noise in the front wheel when taking turns to the opposite direction. The front left also had bearing issues.

If that happens to you in the rear when turning, it may be the same thing.
Old 12-01-09, 11:37 AM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Just to throw this out there: if the problem goes away when you turn left, then it's a problem on the left side, not the right. Turning left causes the car to lean right, and take weight off of the left side. If there was a noise or vibration on one side, turning the car to that direction will cause the noise/feeling to stop.
Old 12-01-09, 02:31 PM
mk4r34
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MongooseGA
Just to throw this out there: if the problem goes away when you turn left, then it's a problem on the left side, not the right. Turning left causes the car to lean right, and take weight off of the left side. If there was a noise or vibration on one side, turning the car to that direction will cause the noise/feeling to stop.
Your right there....that's why it's coming from the driver side and stops turning left..just waiting on the bearing to come in...now I think of it I should have just ordered two for the rears and get it done now....$h*+
Old 12-01-09, 03:37 PM
SCDanny
Rookie

My right rear went out on me so i just did them both at the same time. And chances are, if the bearing is bad you are going to have to order a new hub too.
Old 12-01-09, 07:17 PM
alanchad
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MongooseGA
^^^ What he said