Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Aftermarket Drilled Slotted Rotors and Noise Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-08, 06:24 PM
McKrevice
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

skip the cross drilled/slotted rotors. They cost more, and are more prone to warping/cracking etc. They don't do anything except give you that bling factor. Not worth risking your braking on that. Just get a set of Brembo Blanks and throw those in.
Old 09-09-08, 11:35 AM
MJImport
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by McKrevice
skip the cross drilled/slotted rotors. They cost more, and are more prone to warping/cracking etc. They don't do anything except give you that bling factor. Not worth risking your braking on that. Just get a set of Brembo Blanks and throw those in.
I agree, I have drilled/slotted with a stickier pad and saw a slight improvement over OEM. If you really want better brakes, go with a larger diameter rotor and larger/more pistons (if you have the room)
Old 09-09-08, 12:42 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by McKrevice
I agree with part of this comment, the other part of the comment is confusing me. Most, actually all of the BBK's are either drilled and/or slotted which means they are prone to warping/cracking. With that said I think it going to the brand. Brembo, Rotora, Endless, ProjectMU and a few others come in OEM sizes but are slotted and/or drilled.

Slotted are less prone to be damaged, slotted and drilled are more prone.

Last edited by ZippyGuy; 09-28-08 at 09:26 PM.
Old 09-09-08, 06:16 PM
McKrevice
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have seen cross drilled slotted rotors fail on the race track...split completely down one side. Now normal driving is not racing, but if they fail, they fail, and you're screwed. I'm sure you all know, but back in the day, the drilling was used to dissipate gasses that would build up between the pad and rotor. With new technology in pads, this is not even a concern and certainly not enough to warrant it on a street car.

I run 13" brembo blank rotors on my Mustang and beat the hell out of them and they never give me problems, and I get them very very hot with the race pads I use.

I used to like the look of drilled rotors, who doesn't? If they actually gave a benefit I would probably get them, but seeing what I have seen, I'd rather spend the money, like someone else said....get larger calipers with more pistons, better pads and good rotors. Way better than some bling bling brake rotors.

But that's only half the battle. All of the new brakes won't mean a **** in a bucket if you don't have good tires. Ever try locking up Brembo 4 piston calipers on some old crappy mismatched tires? (I have, moving a car with crappy wheels and tires while the race rims were at the powdercoating shop and I decided to be a jackass) It's ugly. REEEEEALY ugly.
Old 09-21-08, 07:38 PM
russian
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DBA makes the best rotors, period.

I have the DBA slotted rotors and they are fantastic. They only make a whirring noise when I am braking aggressively.
Old 08-12-12, 01:07 AM
Silverado6
Driver School Candidate

Default Rotor's

I know this is a Lexus Forum But I was looking at different people's thoughts and saying's about Drilled and Slotted Rotor's I have a 2006 Chevy Silverado 1500 reg cab with 20" wheels on it I installed Crossed Drilled and Slotted Rotor's with Power Stop Z16 Brake Pads The only sounds I got with these rotor's was taking off from a dead stop or getting up to 20-25mph sometime it done it if I was driving at 40 mph I can let off the gas and it stops I give it gas and stay at that speed comes back for a few seconds and stops. Or if i just give it some speed it stops with the sound.

Mine is more like maybe metal brake clip deal thing that maybe the rotor is touching it. kinda sounds like someone shacking a set of keys on a key chain lol kinda hard to really explain it Its not very loud But Iv tried everything I can to stop it but no luck I drive this daily which I got use to the sound and said whatever lol I don't think people really can hear it tho because know one has gave me a look or anything lol.

I think I know what mine really is doing know but I don't know if you can remove it or not but it's a part that the brake pads sit on It's a small metal clip like deal It broke after installing Drilled and Slotted rotor's and that's when my sound got quite but still their.

Photo will show more what I'm talking about.

Old 08-12-12, 06:26 AM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Slight noise when braking. Go with solid rotors I would
Old 08-12-12, 06:33 AM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MJImport
I agree, I have drilled/slotted with a stickier pad and saw a slight improvement over OEM. If you really want better brakes, go with a larger diameter rotor and larger/more pistons (if you have the room)
This myth I keep hearing on these forums about better brakes. What you really mean is that you brake with less pressure on the brake. Big brakes are better if you are on a mountain road or on a race track where brake fade becomes an issue. As far as braking, it is the tires that matter. Ask yourself, can I lock my tires up? (or does the abs kick in?) then that's the fastest you are going to stop period, regardless of what brakes you have. So when you say a slight improvement do you mean brake fade? Brake feel? Because unless you also changed your tires, suspension or something else it most certainly is not stopping distance. Be specific
Old 08-25-12, 06:36 PM
GS300Turbo
Driver

I was thinking about getting the Brake Motive drilled and slotted rotors from eBay. Anyone have them on?

Last edited by GS300Turbo; 08-28-14 at 03:16 AM.
Old 04-03-14, 08:11 PM
RoMiLex
Driver

Im kicking dust off this one to freshen it for those looking for slotted & drilled rotors.

So rotors, be it slotted, dimpled, drilled, are not going to improve braking unless the material is different. Take for example the ZR1 Corvette with carbon ceramic rotors. Those slotted and drilled rotors look cool but really if anything increase your stopping distance because of less than stock rotor surface. Those designs are really intended for race. Where the rotors see maximum duty and a great amount of heat. In day to day driving they benefit you none.

As for noise. The past owner of my car "upgraded" to slotted and drilled rotors but kept them at the stock size. So the fronts warped and shimmy during any speed of braking. The rears make this odd cricket / clicking noise at low speed braking. So I now have to go back to stock because bone stock GS400s shouldn't be a pain to drive but have stock sized "race" rotors. moron (head shake)

I will say this if you really think your car needs better brakes look into Hawk HPS pads (high performance street). Its a pad that I ran on a previous car of mine. It is hands down a great best of both worlds pad. Easy quiet day to day braking with little to no dust but do a few highway speed halts to get them warm and you better hope you like the taste of your steering wheel.
Another realistic brake upgrade option is to increase the rotor size with an actual brake upgrade.
Bigger rotor pros:
More leverage from the center of the hub = greater braking control
Bigger rotors dont fluctuate tems as much as thinner smaller rotors
Bigger rotors often have bigger vanes for better heat dissipation
Larger pads, that means less pressure per square inch to do the same work = less heat, more control
Aesthetically, filling up the rim with big brakes looks cool too.
Bigger rotor cons:
More rotating weight
(Rotating weight carries centrifugal energy. Lots of spinning weight is harder to change direction)
More unsprung weight
(1lb unsprung=10lbs sprung weight)

Hope you had the time to stop and read all that and I hope you can take away something useful from it before you spend your money unwisely.

Last edited by RoMiLex; 04-03-14 at 08:26 PM.
Old 04-07-14, 07:55 AM
rico23
Driver School Candidate

That's what I needed upgrading brakes now .. Explained very well
Old 07-27-14, 08:49 AM
DaveAlex98
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

I've been chasing a groaning, rumbling noise on an 03 430 for several months. New pads and calipers. At first I did not suspect my drilled and slotted rotors because they were so new. After reading this post, I thought -- could it be? Yes, I put on new blank rotors this morning, and it is very quiet again. Interestingly, I had no noise issues when I first installed the drilled and slotted rotors, but then 4 or 5 months later, the noise began, and today my brakes are quiet and smooth as silk. I'm staying away from drilled and slotted rotors. Thanks for the post. :
Old 08-14-14, 12:48 PM
Ar1st0
Driver School Candidate

I got a set of EBC gold series rotors which are dimpled not drilled. I had ebay drilled and slotted rotors that were super loud with the clicking noise on the car before. Now with the EBC there is a very faint click noise that you can only hear with the windows down and the radio off. It not bad at all.