Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Bilstein HD or Sport?

Old 07-27-08, 03:31 PM
virginGS3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bilstein HD or Sport?

Hi all!

Looking at running stock springs + stock 16" wheels (ick) with some new shocks to eliminate float and tidy up the handling a bit for a 2001 GS300.

Any specific recommendations for or against Bilstein HD? Bilstein Sport?

Any brand recommendation for adjustable shocks?

(don't need springs or coilovers. not intending on lowering the car any.)

Thanks!
Old 07-27-08, 03:42 PM
Lexamatic
Pole Position

Very happy with Bilstein Sports. Also did the Eibach prokit as well. http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/S...brand=Bilstein
Old 07-27-08, 09:29 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

stock spring rates are fairly low and you'll prob still get a 'floaty' unless you get aftermarket springs with higher spring rates.

i'd get kyb for stock feel.
Old 07-27-08, 09:42 PM
AEKDBadGS4
Driver School Candidate

I have the Bilstein Sports, i heard they are 150% stiffer than stock, where as HD (heavy duty) is more like 125%. coulda been 200 and 150 respectively. I love the feel of the new shocks, much improved handling, however TWICE in one week I have experienced drastic loss of control during fast maneuvering or braking while steering, it was extremely startling having the back end swing out to about 90* on the freeway and have to catch it and ease it out of the extreme wobble. I am running stock springs, with stock wheels and new tires.

I'm guessing this is due to the stock springs, or the to tall of tires on the 16" stock rims. Over all very good improvement in handling, without total loss of the luxury ride quality, you feel the little bumps in the road but its not very severe, kind of a light shift rather than actually shaking you in the car, stiffer springs harshen the ride quite a bit, if anyone has any ideas for how to fix the unpredictable rear end in my car please let me know.

GOOD SHOCK REPLACEMENT!
Old 07-28-08, 12:11 PM
virginGS3
Driver School Candidate

Hey all!

Thanks for getting back to me so soon =)

I put in a phone call this morning and chatted with a TireRack representative regarding my issue of Bilstein HD compared to Bilstein Sport, for a stock spring and wheel combination.

The tech suggested that I go with HD, as they are more 'performance drive oriented', as compared to the Sport. He also mentioned increased firmness and response while not sacrificing ride quality for the HD.

He said the branding of "Heavy Duty" and "Sport" is quite misleading and confusing to most consumers. Sport is much firmer than HD, which wouldn't suit my desired combination / expectation.

Anyhoo, placed the order. Will give full review next week after the install.

Much thanks once again!
Old 07-28-08, 12:14 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Do not worry about the car remaining floaty. You will be much happier with the HDs.
Old 07-28-08, 12:47 PM
Vic Nyce
Lead Lap

i've got the sports with some H&R springs and lemme tell you...it rides hard! im sure the low pro 19s have something to do with it, but its def not a luxo ride feel anymore.
Old 07-29-08, 04:41 PM
Lexamatic
Pole Position

Yeah, its not like it was when I bought it but after doing all the mods I realized the sofa cushion ride quality was what I disliked the most about the car. I think the stock ride quality of the GS is fine if you're goal is a soft feel, but dropping the car and using BS sports makes the car safer and more fun to drive IMO. The sports are certainly not a harsh departure from stock, especially if you are using higher profile tires. With 19s or 20s, it would ride harder. I've got 18s and the ride quality is very livable as a daily driver.
Old 08-02-08, 07:30 PM
lexpiaa
Driver School Candidate

Bilstein HD and tanabe NF you'll still feel the luxury of your gs
Old 08-04-08, 11:00 AM
virginGS3
Driver School Candidate

Initial 3-day review

New:
Bilstein HD
Yokohama ADVAN S.4.

Old:
Stock springs
Stock 16"

Impression: Not bad at all.

My primary purpose was to retain stock ride quality, stock height (as parents also drive the car), while improving vehicle dynamics such as reducing body roll, dip, float, lift,... and improving handling characteristics for mildly spirited driving.

The stock springs retain soft cushiony ride, while the Bilstein's increased stiffness over stock (and blown) shocks controlled vehicle dynamics nicely.

Overall ride quality impression was much more European, near BMW Sport Package. Slightly stiff on local roads, but if Dad doesn't mind, who am I to say otherwise right? On the freeway the shocks truly shine with smooth sailing stability and damping.

More spirited drive review to come!
Old 08-04-08, 02:47 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lexpiaa
Bilstein HD and tanabe NF you'll still feel the luxury of your gs
I got the HD's with Tanabe DF's and the luxury ride is no more. I'm not sweating it all to much though.