Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

HELP: What springs to buy?!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-08, 06:28 PM
JATLIFE
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default HELP: What springs to buy?!?

Hi guys, I have a black IS250 (pretty much stock) and I just upgraded my wheels from the 18's to a set of black MRR GT-1's (235/35/19 front; 265/30/19 rear). Now that I have the wheels on, I have realized it needs to be dropped. When it was stock, it had more wheel-well space in the front compared to the back, BUT after I put on the 19's I have noticed that I can fit 3 fingers (about 2") front and back, with absolutely no extra room. It's pretty much exactly the same gap (front compared to back).

Soooooooo... I was curious if I should get the Eibach Pro-Kit (1.4" front, .8" rear) or the F-Sport springs (1" front and back).

Here are some of my concerns:
-I want it to be low, but not tooooo low... right now it looks too high but I also don't want it to be so low that I am scraping the bottom on speed bumps -all the time).
-Should I just get the F-Sports? With an otherwise stock suspension, I should expect a 1" drop all the way around? I had heard the Eibach's can vary from install to install even though they say 1.4" and .8"... same case for the F-sports? I definitely don't want to buy springs only to realize it's not dropped the amount they advertised. A little more is fine, but less (especially with the F's) would suck.
-I realize the ride quality is going to be worse, but is one better than the other?
-Since the front and back now has the same space in the wheelwells (according to my scientific finger test), should I just go with the F-sports since after installing the Eibach's the front would be lower than the rear?

I know there is a lot of info out there in this forum, but I wanted to see if someone could answer my question since I seem to have my front and back at the exact same height. If you guys could give me your quick thoughts I'd really appreciate it.

THANKS... MUCH appreciated. I will definitely post pics once they have been installed.

Also, if I were to get spacers sometime down the road if I feel the need for them, how much would a shop charge roughly? And the spacers are pretty cheap? If it's a $100 or so for everything I'd rather just wait to see if i need them.

Again, I really appreciate it.

Last edited by JATLIFE; 07-15-08 at 06:35 PM.
Old 07-15-08, 07:06 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When i switched to F sport springs I left no difference in ride quality... even over the poorly maintained bay area roads and LA roads... Mine dropped maybe a little more than an inch...
Old 07-15-08, 07:26 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i say go for the f sport if u have the money hands down. i remember reading a thread sayin that the fsport are basically eibachs painted blue and stamped with the f sport logo. i think both are good but u have 18s so go with fsport should be good. post some pics when u installed them.
Old 07-16-08, 06:07 AM
JATLIFE
Driver School Candidate

just to clarify, i have 19's, not the stock 18's.
Old 07-16-08, 08:05 AM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JATLIFE
I realize the ride quality is going to be worse, but is one better than the other?
Get TEIN CS coilovers and I can give you first hand evidence that the ride actually is smoother than stock. Plus, you'll be able to adjust your ride height to where ever you want it, and if your car leans like a lot of ours do, you can dial that out .
Old 07-16-08, 08:40 AM
MCL1
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1st of all, good taste in wheels. I have the 18's, same wheels.

2nd. I learned like the guy above me, whenever you ask about SPRINGS, everyone and their mother will start telling you to spend 3x as much for coilovers...

..to answer you questions, I got the Eibachs. happy with the drop, no scraping.
Old 07-16-08, 03:41 PM
JATLIFE
Driver School Candidate

I think I'm going to order the F-sport springs online from Sewell Lexus or Superstition Springs Lexus (about $255 shipped from both places). I think the 1" drop is enough... I just hope it's actually a 1" drop and not less.

I guess I'll wait to get spacers until I see how it looks.

Anybody have any suggestions/advice/tips on the springs? If not, F-sports it is. Thanks to all who responded.
Old 07-17-08, 04:47 PM
iialcii
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

buy my pro kit! hahaha im swapping them out this weekend for coilovers. they ride great, I actually love them but its not low enough, Im on 20's and no rubbing.

I was happy with the spring kit when I installed it, handling improved, less body roll and better handling. Good luck