Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

F-Sport Springs Installation Quote

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-08, 11:08 PM
subliiime
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F-Sport Springs Installation Quote

I was at my dealership today and asked for a price quote on purchase and installation/labor of F-Sport lowering springs.

$1177 + tax, including alignment.

That sounds a bit much to me, but what do you guys think?
Old 06-10-08, 11:21 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Yes, very high.
Old 06-10-08, 11:26 PM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

It's too much. At Sewell the part is $235 and according to their installation time it is about 4 hours.

Old 06-10-08, 11:29 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by pisaykotik
It's too much. At Sewell the part is $235 and according to their installation time it is about 4 hours.
Comes out to roughly 800 with tax and install and about 950ish with an alignment... So almost 1200 without an alignment is much too high.
Old 06-11-08, 04:06 AM
fluxx
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do it yourself, save monies and gain experience! lol

Last edited by fluxx; 06-11-08 at 05:20 AM.
Old 06-11-08, 07:42 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are worried about maintaining your warranty, go to a shop.

IF you do experience suspension problems, getting them uninstall by the shop, then re install the stock, and taking the stock ride to the dealer, is still cheaper than what they charge you for this lol.

Plus F sport springs are said to work with the stock shocks on their site
Old 06-11-08, 09:11 AM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Angry

FUNNY... here's the EXACT quote I got from Sewell themselves (I'm in Dallas):

"The labor to install the sways is $421.87
The labor to install the springs and struts is $718.02
Recommend to have a 4 wheel alignment with this suspension work: $129.95"

That's a total of $1139.89!!! That's $222 per hour in labor for the sways and $171 per hour for the springs and shocks!!!!!!
Old 06-11-08, 09:13 AM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mikez
If you are worried about maintaining your warranty, go to a shop.

IF you do experience suspension problems, getting them uninstall by the shop, then re install the stock, and taking the stock ride to the dealer, is still cheaper than what they charge you for this lol.

Plus F sport springs are said to work with the stock shocks on their site
That's completely dishonest and underhanded......but I agree that any decent shop can do it much cheaper.
Old 06-11-08, 11:53 AM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Buds
FUNNY... here's the EXACT quote I got from Sewell themselves (I'm in Dallas):

"The labor to install the sways is $421.87
The labor to install the springs and struts is $718.02
Recommend to have a 4 wheel alignment with this suspension work: $129.95"

That's a total of $1139.89!!! That's $222 per hour in labor for the sways and $171 per hour for the springs and shocks!!!!!!
Obviously there is a discrepancy in their hourly rates from the quote they gave you, did you talk to them about it and what was their response? From my experience with the local dealerships, the persons who give out quotes may not be the most knowledgeable. In fact, there are times when you ask for quotes from different persons of the same dealership and you'll get different answers.
Old 06-11-08, 12:03 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FiveOhNine
That's completely dishonest and underhanded......but I agree that any decent shop can do it much cheaper.
The F sport springs are said to be able to work with the stock shocks.

Now the Lexus tech, I have watch them at the dealer I go to, are just the same as reputable tuner shops. Maybe Lexus tech are worse as they are pretty sloppy when I watched them through the glass wall on the service bays, leaving parts of the car behind when they put it back together, joy riding in customer cars

Poor installation aside, if your shock blows with the F sports after getting it installed at the dealer, the dealer replaces within warranty. If your shocks blows with the F sport getting it installed elsewhere, you pay for the replacement.

Again, poor installation aside, I dont think its shady for my suggestion as the dealer rips you off for basically for covering parts under warranty.

I stood under the car, beside the mechanics thats installed my spring every step of the way, and I did my research into DYI so I understood basically every step of the install to make sure the mechanic didnt miss anything. I think thats shady how the dealer rips you off for the labor for a part that probably wont blow your shocks until your warranty is out anyways lol.

If I can get a more acceptable price, I will glady give up the comfy couch, AC and the free muffins that Lexus offers lol
Old 06-11-08, 01:34 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mikez
The F sport springs are said to be able to work with the stock shocks.

Now the Lexus tech, I have watch them at the dealer I go to, are just the same as reputable tuner shops. Maybe Lexus tech are worse as they are pretty sloppy when I watched them through the glass wall on the service bays, leaving parts of the car behind when they put it back together, joy riding in customer cars

Poor installation aside, if your shock blows with the F sports after getting it installed at the dealer, the dealer replaces within warranty. If your shocks blows with the F sport getting it installed elsewhere, you pay for the replacement.

Again, poor installation aside, I dont think its shady for my suggestion as the dealer rips you off for basically for covering parts under warranty.

I stood under the car, beside the mechanics thats installed my spring every step of the way, and I did my research into DYI so I understood basically every step of the install to make sure the mechanic didnt miss anything. I think thats shady how the dealer rips you off for the labor for a part that probably wont blow your shocks until your warranty is out anyways lol.

If I can get a more acceptable price, I will glady give up the comfy couch, AC and the free muffins that Lexus offers lol
I'm not suggesting that an aftermarket shop would be better or worse than a Lexus installation. What I am saying is that swapping parts which caused a failure, whether they be OEM or aftermarket, outside of the warranty, in favor of original warrantied parts is highly dishonest.

Your feelings for dealership prices aside; they are in it to make money. They will charge as much as they think people will pay given the market. You have to realize that they have to cover huge overhead which 'Johnny's hot wheels garage' doesn't. Part of this huge overhead is directly due to fallacious warranty claims such as you are suggesting.
Old 06-11-08, 04:02 PM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Obviously there is a discrepancy in their hourly rates from the quote they gave you, did you talk to them about it and what was their response? From my experience with the local dealerships, the persons who give out quotes may not be the most knowledgeable. In fact, there are times when you ask for quotes from different persons of the same dealership and you'll get different answers.
I haven't pushed the subject yet because I'm not ready to purchase all the parts just yet. I got a quote to get a better sense of what the whole project would cost. If I do eventually move forward with it, I'll definitely bring this chart in to discuss.
Old 06-11-08, 04:11 PM
subliiime
Rookie

Yeah, this guy that I talked to didn't seem like he was very knowledgeable on the F-Sport stuff. He kept calling them "IS-F Springs" too. He even called them "IS-F" springs when he picked up the phone and dialed somebody up for the installation numbers on them, and I guess the guy on the other end replied "1.5 per wheel", which I'm not sure if that means hours or what. So that whole little ordeal made me a little uneasy.

Anyways, I haven't called them back or anything to ask them why the price was so high, I'm just going to order them from Sewell and have them installed somewhere else, maybe at another Lexus dealership that has their numbers right.
Old 06-11-08, 04:35 PM
subliiime
Rookie

Just got a call back from Scottsdale Lexus. Quoted me $800 for the installation but $370 for the springs.

So I thought, alright cool, I'll just buy the part online and bring it in. I told the guy what I was going to do, but he said they'll only warranty it if I buy it from them. Then I was like, that's wack yo...then he was like, alright, if they're genuine lexus springs, we'll price match, just provide documentation where u brought them, so I was like ok cool.

So I guess I'll bring it into them when I get the springs.
Old 06-11-08, 05:31 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Remember all labor costs are negotiable!!! I was able to negotiate down to $650 for both my Springs and Shocks!

Quick Reply: F-Sport Springs Installation Quote