Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Supra tt rotors and pad choice

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-08, 10:10 PM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Supra tt rotors and pad choice

I know one of the advantage of having supra tt calipers is that there are a lot of choices for pads and rotors. However, a lot of people say that oem rotors and oem pads are the best way to go. Im wondering, What setup do people usually go with? I want stopping power but i dont want all the squeeking noises and brake dust associated.

People with supra tt calipers, what do you run and what do you think of it?
Old 06-02-08, 10:13 PM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

by the way, ive seen people talk about irotors on ebay, im wondering if the pads they offer are any good? the rotors seems ok because quite a bit of member likes them.
Old 06-03-08, 07:56 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I'd get the calipers and pair it with some Akebono ProACT ceramic pads. No/Little dusting plus better fade resistance than OEM pads. Stopping distance will be practically the same in the end. Honestly, any pad that exceeds OEM standard will be good. It's a matter of how much dusting you want relative to the amount of bites (aggressiveness) you get. Can't really have it all.
Old 06-03-08, 08:07 AM
markesc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with Brembo cross drilled rotors and hawk hps pads. They are great for the occasional mountain run. I'm sure there are more aggressive pads out there however!
Old 06-03-08, 08:30 AM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

where do you get this Akebono ProACT? and how much does it usualy run? can i get these pads at a local auto part store?

How much did the brembo run you?
Old 06-03-08, 10:26 AM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

endless m sport pads
Old 06-03-08, 10:58 AM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

I can't believe this. I'm clearly the odd man out, but I am going to suggest that you start off with MKIV TT oem Toyota semi metallic Brake Pads for the reason that this entire brake set up as delivered in oem form was and remains one of the most powerful brakes put on any production car during its time and remains a performance icon for good reason. Find out just good they are first and if you think your having a certain issue with them, look for a specific type of pad to solve it.

What specifically do any of you guys think the the oem setup is not capable of that 1SickSC is likely to encounter and why aftermarket is superior?

I use the oem set-up on high speed HPDE open track days with demands far beyond anything you're likely to do on the street. They do not fad, they grip very hard and are capable even above 120mph of activating the abs circuit. I'm considering some pads for track applications, but I just want it said that oem is a rocking set up and you should start there because of this.
Old 06-03-08, 12:56 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Yup.
I looked to those who have punished their brakes on the track, regularily, and they maintained that the oem parts are the best all around.
Maybe some better cooling(ducts), perhaps would be an improvement.
Old 06-03-08, 02:19 PM
GSteg
Rookie

It's not the fact that the OEM pads and rotors can't do a great job because they can. No one said the stock supra pads/rotors are incapable. It's the fact that you can get more for the money. The major reason why I recommend the ProACTs because dusting is minimized while still retaining performance. I'm sure everyone on here would appreciate little to no brake dust.
Old 06-04-08, 05:43 AM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

I get your point, reducing dust is great if there is no sacrifice in performance, though imho, the oem pads are mild/acceptible dust to begin with. Toyota tt pads cost about $60, not out of wack. I still insist they are the best way to get started for the first time Supra TT brake user to become familar with these extraordinary brakes.

All pads produce dust as they wear, there aren't any "no brake dust" pads, but it is a lighter colored dust and not as noticed on the wheel. It still has to be washed off.

I wholly reject the premise of 1Sick's question as phrased:
Originally Posted by 1SickSC
I want stopping power but i dont want all the squeeking noises and brake dust associated.
This is how urban myths get started on our forums, that there is something wrong with the oem brakes pads, ("squeeky-dusty"). FALSE. In seven years of owning my SC I have never had squeeking noises or unacceptible brake dust, nor has it ever been a complaint issue in our community.

Just look at how many times "stock" or "oem" appears in this SF thread: http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...highlight=xp12 and the few references to dust and noise are made on the ceramics.

All that being said, I'm looking into Carbotech XP12 for track use. Carbotech are ceramic, mild dust (to be determined!), have an excellent reputation with many compounds to chose from. Great informative link here: http://www.ctbrakes.com/faqs.html#4

fyi, "more for your money"? XP12 go for $192 front, $169 rear, $391 a set. eom is a fraking bargain.

Last edited by SCoupe; 06-04-08 at 06:16 AM.
Old 06-04-08, 09:02 AM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

woowo thanks guys! ill go with oem or proact for pads! how about rotors? oem? anyone used irotors?
Old 06-04-08, 09:15 AM
GSteg
Rookie

I'm using R1concept rotors right now and they are holding up fine. They're very popular around the forums and their prices are right too.
Old 06-04-08, 09:17 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by SCoupe

All pads produce dust as they wear, there aren't any "no brake dust" pads, but it is a lighter colored dust and not as noticed on the wheel. It still has to be washed off.
Yup. There are still brake dust but I used the term "little to no" to show how it doesn't dust up too much. To many people, little could mean a lot to me. Just like how it's acceptable for you that OEM pads dust, it's unacceptable to me. I'm about to toss out my almost new OEM pads for some aftermarket ones.
Old 06-04-08, 10:46 AM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

iirc I've got Irotors on my SC. <---WRONG! EDIT: http://turboimport.com/catalog/supra.htm are the rotors I'm actually running. They're Zinc coated, slotted and fake drilled(dimpled). They've held up really well. Even to track duty. They are kinda noisy most likely cos of all the milled surface treatments... They've been good for the money, a lot less expensive than oem rotors. They aren't a bit rusty after 2 or 3 years. If I had it to do over again I would only get a rotor with 6 slots or just a plain face to keep the noise down. I guess only complaint is a little noise. If you go this route get the slotted only option.

I run the HAWK HPS pads. I chose them cos everyone on supraforums raved about them. But, I think a pad with more initial bite would be a good choice. HPS pads noticeably grip more the hotter they get. So when braking they're is a bit of a delay while the pads heat up. But they wear excellent imo. I still have a ton of life left and they've been on there 2 or 3 years also.

Last edited by UpInTheLex; 06-04-08 at 06:25 PM. Reason: wrong rotors. Not iRotor, Turbo Import
Old 10-17-08, 07:39 AM
wanganstyl
Lead Lap

if you like hps and want more bite, try project MU B-force (for street use) or Hawk Hp+

Colbalt friction also has great pads, i wonder if they have for JZA80tt

Quick Reply: Supra tt rotors and pad choice