Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

~~("THE BACHSTEIN") by JJsc3 in adition to the "GIXXER_DREW" suspension~~

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-08, 11:29 PM
JJsc3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ~~("THE BACHSTEIN") by JJsc3 in adition to the "GIXXER_DREW" suspension~~

My current setup is similar to "Gixxer_Drew" Bilstein/Hypercoil setup, but instead, it's called "THE BACHSTEIN" setup consisting of Bilstein's and Eibach Prokit springs dropped via custom coilover sleeves. Yrs. ago, I remember running Bilstein/Eibach's yrs. without sleeves for the very first time, and I didn't like the ride. I thought it would be good since TRD recommended it, so that's how I tossed the springs aside in my garage for another suspension setup. But, after totaling my ride and then buying another stock SC3, I was in a hurry to drop the ride from stock heiight. Therefore, I came across the "Gixxer_Drew" setup on (Superforums.com), and thought to maybe if I did drop the Bilstein/Eibach w/ coilover sleeves, the ride just might improve. It was indeed a shocking discovery.

Now based on MY OPINIONS of the "THE BACHSTEIN" setup, it's now favorite suspension setup over most aftermarket coilover setups. I'm definitely staying with these. It's the true, "it's not so stiff, yet not too soft" of a ride. I now have no fear cornering at high speeds, as the car just responds so well. Drive on the highway at 80mph, and then come to one of those slight decline/incline dips, and just feel how strong Bilstein's adjust to the road conditions. I mean, the rebound is so good and perfect that your car remains easily in control. Now this was supposedly what I had expected from TRD's recommendation of the Bilstein/Eibachs, prior to lowering it further. It's that simple!

The "Gixxer_Drew" post will guide you to the entire setup of the coilover sleeves, but instead they recommend the use of hyper-coil springs. I was going to follow the same route, but remembered having a set of Prokits inside my garage. I was curious to see whether the springs would work rather than using taller coils, but yet still leaving a sufficient amount of strut travel. It turns out that even dropping 3" below stock, there is still plenty of travel for the strut to work with. And to give you an idea of how low my ride is, I'm running 19X10's at rear with slightly stretched 255/40/19's, and the tire tucks just inside the fender about 1/4 of an inch. Yeah it's quite low alright, but the car still rides good surprisingly. I know a lot of people who like to ride low, but always end up with too stiff or too bouncy if a ride. Right now people would look at my ride and the first that they'll ask me is, how the ride must be really bouncy rite? All that I've done to my suspension, and people assume it's a bouncy ride. Well, I don't blame them because I use to think that also. I had expensive quality JIC's FLT-A2's on my previous "totaled" SC300, and I thought those were the best coilovers out there. However, I was only able to lower them about 2.5", and any further it became too stiff of a ride. But now I honestly have to say the Gixxer_Drew setup with Eibach springs feels much better than the JIC's to me.

I highly recommend this setup if you have a used set of Prokits sitting around, otherwise, it'll cost you roughly $250 for Eibach's, and $400 for Bilstein's. Then add about another $135.00 for the coil sleeves including the seat adjusting wrench. Yeah, an almost $800.00 setup thats enough to purchase a nice set of Tiens. But I've always been a fan of Bilstein, and hoped there would one day be an affordable Bilstein coilover setup. If you're in the market for a suspension setup, try this. You just might be very happy with the results. Forgot to mention also, after a 3" drop, I was still able to align my wheels within spec, and without the use of a camber kit.

Pictures are on the way!

Pictures as promised:5/31/08

Last edited by JJsc3; 05-31-08 at 12:26 PM.
Old 05-31-08, 12:32 AM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Some editing and paragraphs would make this much easier to read.
Old 05-31-08, 12:59 AM
JJsc3
Driver

Originally Posted by sc300max
Some editing and paragraphs would make this much easier to read.
Ma Bad.. I drank a bit too much tonight, and just started typing, lol. I'm starting to really like this forum. Some of the people's thoughts are so interesting.
Old 05-31-08, 07:12 AM
mr2tosc4
Lexus Test Driver

interesting..i have the bilsteins off a supra rz with the stock supra springs and i'll be putting them on today just to see if it's good enough. it won't be low enough as i have read but i'll make my decision from there. nice to hear there are alot of options for springs for this strut that'll work for the sc.
Old 05-31-08, 07:58 AM
JJsc3
Driver

Originally Posted by mr2tosc4
interesting..i have the bilsteins off a supra rz with the stock supra springs and i'll be putting them on today just to see if it's good enough. it won't be low enough as i have read but i'll make my decision from there. nice to hear there are alot of options for springs for this strut that'll work for the sc.
Stock springs dropped maybe too soft. However, post pictures if possible. Good luck!

Last edited by JJsc3; 05-31-08 at 08:41 AM.
Old 05-31-08, 08:32 AM
mr2tosc4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JJsc3
Stock springs dropped maybe too soft. However, post pictures if possible. Good luck!
keep in mind this is OEM bilstein shock/spring coming off a 95 Supra RZ with 50,000 kms on it. we'll never know until we slap it on i guess.
Old 05-31-08, 08:44 AM
JJsc3
Driver

Originally Posted by mr2tosc4
keep in mind this is OEM bilstein shock/spring coming off a 95 Supra RZ with 50,000 kms on it. we'll never know until we slap it on i guess.
Wait, I'm confused. Are you doing the coilover setup as well, but with stock springs? With just stock springs and bilsteins, it's like what I did to my previous wrecked sc3 for the very first time, and I didn't like it at all. It will not be the same as what I recommend.
Old 05-31-08, 08:59 AM
mr2tosc4
Lexus Test Driver

Wait, I'm confused. Are you doing the coilover setup as well, but with stock springs? With just stock springs and bilsteins, it's like what I did to my previous wrecked sc3 for the very first time, and I didn't like it at all. It will not be the same as what I recommend.
I am not doing the coilover setup until I test this Supra RZ oem setup first. So you had the same exact setup before? how was the ride/drop? here's a pic

Old 05-31-08, 09:24 AM
JJsc3
Driver

Yup.. this was the exact setup I did for the very first time, but I didn't like it one bit. They were too soft of a ride, and only dropped a lil. over a half inch. Also, I noticed you do have factory Toyota Bilstein's, and I really don't know whether those struts are built with the exact same specs as the Bilstein's I purchased from shox.com. Good luck though. Trial/Error is the way to go bro.
Old 05-31-08, 09:31 AM
mr2tosc4
Lexus Test Driver

i'm putting them on today, we'll see...
Old 05-31-08, 12:27 PM
JJsc3
Driver

Default Pics!

Pics are here!
Old 05-31-08, 04:15 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Forgot to mention also, after a 3" drop, I was still able to align my wheels within spec, and without the use of a camber kit.
Thats a pretty interesting setup. I live in San Jose also. Where did you get your car aligned and how much did they charge if you dont mind me asking? Ive had problems with alot of shops that wont even touch my SC because it is "too low". I spent almost $500 on my little brothers old SC just to get it close to specs WITH a camber kit.

PS..Im sitting on Supra Tein SS fully slammed. Thanks!
Old 05-31-08, 04:29 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JspecSC3
Thats a pretty interesting setup. I live in San Jose also. Where did you get your car aligned and how much did they charge if you dont mind me asking? Ive had problems with alot of shops that wont even touch my SC because it is "too low". I spent almost $500 on my little brothers old SC just to get it close to specs WITH a camber kit.

why would you want stock alignment specs. they are terrible. you can easily do 1.5* of camber on the front without showing major tire wear. handling will feel much better too. look on supra forums for alignment specs that people commonly use. its a good base line to go by. most supra owners lower their cars and dont do any other major suspension modification while trying to keep factory like specs...just like SC owners.

for daily driving i would do the following:
Front
camber: 1-1.5*
caster: as much as you can get...up to 6*
toe: 0

Rear:
camber: 1*
caster: a bit more then stock

for track use i would do:
Front
camber: 2-3.5*
caster: same as previous
toe: 0 (some prefer some toe out...i dont like it)

Rear:
camber: 2*
caster: same as previous

im running 1.5* of camber right now in the rear and tire wear is not noticeable at all. i check my tires all the time.

front camber i have about 1* and its pretty much stock.

btw you cant get a "nice" set of teins for 800 bucks. there isnt any good coilovers for 800 bucks unless you get distributor cost on it. if you want a good suspension system you will end up spending 2000 bucks easy. this will be amazing on the street and still very drivable on the street. i wish Robispec made coilovers for our cars. those coilovers are amazing. both track and street. the only thing that came close to the handling of my friends Evo 9 MR with robispec is my friends STi on custom sprung and revalved Stance coilovers

Last edited by 5sp_jzz30; 05-31-08 at 04:37 PM.
Old 05-31-08, 04:32 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i love my bilstein setup!
Old 05-31-08, 05:08 PM
JJsc3
Driver

I got the alignment done in Frisco, a place called Metropolitan Motors, 721 Bryant St, San Francisco, CA 94107. It's located along the right side of the block. I actually paid $125.00 for it cash deal. That's a hook up price for a friend. Regular price for the SC300 is $169.00. If anyone wants hookup, just mention Johnathan and his silver sc300. Ask for the owner Tony.

Originally Posted by RedPhoenix
i love my bilstein setup!
Bilstein is the shts..

The rear camber doesnt concern me much. I want to go lower and push my wheels out more but still be able to make my tires last more than 3 months on the front. Ive tried telling shops to at least get me into the 1-1.5 range but even that seems to be a challenge even with a camber kit.
More than 3 months only? I'm hoping my tires will last over a year.

Last edited by JJsc3; 05-31-08 at 07:48 PM.

Quick Reply: ~~("THE BACHSTEIN") by JJsc3 in adition to the "GIXXER_DREW" suspension~~