Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

New design in oem pads??

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-08, 03:20 AM
Deception
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New design in oem pads??

Has anyone recently bought oem pads from the dealership?? is it me or did they change the design on the pads. to me the pad is not full. its like missing a portion of it on all the pads. and is there a specific way to install it?

i will try and post up pictures
Old 05-15-08, 04:56 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I think it's been this way for awhile. I was also suprised when I changed my brakes about 2years back about how much material was missing.

I think there was a thread quite awhile back with same conclusions. Definitely some large cuts are taken out of the pad.
I assume the cuts are for noise and indeed mine are noise-free . The car does stop decently, more then enough for casual driving, or even emergency stops, but it is not mindblowing nor would I feel comfortable taking it to a track for extended hard use. I would like to state though that there might be other problems with my braking system (such as probably some air in the system that probably needs a dealer scantool brakeflush). And I don't have anything else in recent memory to compare too.

But definitely I think the big cuts in the OEM pad design can't be helping the the stopping power. I'll probably give aftermarket such as the Akebono pro-acts a try next change.
Old 05-15-08, 08:33 PM
jspecdan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not sure what the big chunks missing means, but i think you're talking about the chamfers on the side. they're there as noise, judder and pedal feel countermeasures.
Old 05-15-08, 08:48 PM
Deception
Lexus Test Driver

thats how they look like. but how you you put them in, like is there a certain way to put them in

Old 05-15-08, 08:56 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Originally Posted by jspecdan
not sure what the big chunks missing means, but i think you're talking about the chamfers on the side. they're there as noise, judder and pedal feel countermeasures.
I think that's the correct term.
On the design of replacement OEM pads the "chamfers" are quite agressive on the front pads. If memory serves me, I'd guess it reduces the surface area that actually touches the rotor to about 60% of the full pad, with a large section cut out, not just a angled leading/trailing edge. So does seem like a significant design tradeoff was made to sacrifice some braking performance for comfort reasons after release.

If OP posts pics, I think it'll clear things up.
Old 05-15-08, 09:02 PM
Deception
Lexus Test Driver

or these

Or is this the correct way??

Last edited by Deception; 05-15-08 at 09:06 PM.
Old 05-15-08, 09:04 PM
jspecdan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The large area missing is called a J-chamfer. The other is what would be a parallel chamfer if the other side was the mirror image.

I've never changed pads on a GS so I'm not 100% sure, but when you change your pads, check to see which pads have the wear indicators (inner or outer), that'll obviously narrow down which pads go where. What I don't know is the reason for the J-chamfer, especially on one side, and therefore I don't really know how exactly you install the pads. Too bad I don't have the drawings on hand.

Hopefully someone who has swapped the pads can chime in.
Old 05-15-08, 09:51 PM
raytseng
Instructor

As you take out the old ones, I think it'll be clear how how to match up the replacement.
If worst comes to worst, just do 1 side at a time, so you have the other unchanged side to refer to in case you forget how things go.
Old 05-15-08, 10:00 PM
Deception
Lexus Test Driver

well the thing is, i know how to change the pads, just these new pads are confusing me. here lets say that the i am working on the passenger side of the car. and in front of me is disc and i place the pad with the sensor on the inside.
but the thing is do i place the pads with the j-chamfer all facing one side for example facing down. or the outside pad with the j-chamfer facing up and the pad on the inside with the sensor facing down.

so do i use picture 1 or picture 2:?

PICTURE 1

PICTURE 2
Old 05-15-08, 10:19 PM
wiliefeliz
Driver School Candidate

How much do OEM brake pads cost for the GS400s usually?
Old 05-16-08, 02:52 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

about 60 bucks.
Old 05-17-08, 03:18 AM
Deception
Lexus Test Driver

ok i spoke with a technician today he told me that the taper(chamfer) should be faced to the back of the car. and both should be the same facing down(or back of car).
Old 05-28-08, 10:35 AM
jamodeo

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

What I did, (and I am sorry I do not remember which way) was remove the stock ones, look at how each of them was placed, and removed the metal plate that goes over the brake, cleaned it, put it onto the new brake, and installed it exactly the same way it came off. It was the only logical thing I could think of...

-Joe
Old 05-28-08, 04:36 PM
Golgo13
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Deception
Has anyone recently bought oem pads from the dealership?? is it me or did they change the design on the pads. to me the pad is not full. its like missing a portion of it on all the pads. and is there a specific way to install it?

i will try and post up pictures
oh oh I got it i got it. Here is your problem YOU PURCHASED SOMETHING AT THE STEALERSHIP. To really answer your question I wouldnt know I changed my own pads like three times before i sold my 2nd gen and I didnt see any uneven ware before i put them on.
Old 05-29-08, 11:04 PM
Deception
Lexus Test Driver

yeah stealership pads are weird, its like nothing i had ever seen before with the chamfer(taper) had changed pads before and it easy to go on. but nothing like this.