Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Review: F-Sport Springs and F-Sport Bilstein Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-08, 10:00 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by VikDiddy
Do you feel that the sways were worth it? Seems like body roll is pretty much gone for me with just springs and shocks.

I really don't think we will benefit from these other parts here in IL. Roads suck and unless you are going to track the car I really don't think you will feel the difference. Lowering the car and stiffer springs is a HUGE improvement on this car. I was telling Brian between the PS2 tires and the drop the car feels like its on rails. I have pushed it everywhere I can and not had any issues....I think if you get them its going to add more weight to the car the benefit for our daily driving.
Old 05-17-08, 10:37 PM
webra
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi guys,

If there is no wish for lowering (roads too poor), what do you think of F-sports shocks with stock (non-sport) springs? Bilsteins do have a fabulous reputation.......
Old 05-17-08, 11:32 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by VikDiddy
Do you feel that the sways were worth it? Seems like body roll is pretty much gone for me with just springs and shocks.
Well I know the sways make a big difference because I installed them before I put my springs and shocks on. Basically when I had my stock lux rolley rolley suspension, the addition of the sways will make the car feel more connected to the road due to the urathane bushings and make the car flatter when you hit the turns at speed. Low speeds however you wont feel any difference. The reason I went with the springs and shocks was that, feeling the improvement with just the sways, I wanted to feel a difference at low speeds as well + up the road feel another level. Now I the the car is pretty much complete suspension wise and I'm pretty happy with it other than the steering wheel firmness..

Another thing I sense is that my car even though it feels more locked down now and secure it also feels more dangerous.. I say that because before I wouldn't take turns so aggressively because of the body roll but now I think i might be getting over confident in the twisties and that's kinda dangerous heheh
Old 05-17-08, 11:35 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by passnu2
I really don't think we will benefit from these other parts here in IL. Roads suck and unless you are going to track the car I really don't think you will feel the difference. Lowering the car and stiffer springs is a HUGE improvement on this car. I was telling Brian between the PS2 tires and the drop the car feels like its on rails. I have pushed it everywhere I can and not had any issues....I think if you get them its going to add more weight to the car the benefit for our daily driving.
I think you are mistaking him asking about the chassis braces but he was only asking about the sways. I don't think we'll benefit from the braces either. If the IS-F can make do without them I think we don't really need them either. He was asking about the sway's though and I know those make a difference and it wont make the car any heavier either because they're replacement parts not add on's.
Old 05-17-08, 11:36 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by webra
Hi guys,

If there is no wish for lowering (roads too poor), what do you think of F-sports shocks with stock (non-sport) springs? Bilsteins do have a fabulous reputation.......
I think if you get just the shocks and get the sway bar set you'll be a very happy camper.
Old 05-18-08, 12:21 AM
webra
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ba-b4
I think if you get just the shocks and get the sway bar set you'll be a very happy camper.
Thanks for tip ba-b4. Can anyone here describe the difference in feel between stock and F-sport shocks?
Old 05-18-08, 12:28 AM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by webra
Thanks for tip ba-b4. Can anyone here describe the difference in feel between stock and F-sport shocks?
I think I've only seen one guy post on here that has shocks only

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...25&postcount=9
Old 05-18-08, 02:47 AM
webra
Pole Position

I think I've only seen one guy post on here that has shocks only

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...25&postcount=9
Thanks! I have reposted the question there.
Old 05-23-08, 05:43 PM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Newb question: Whats the difference between an after market coil over setup and the F-sport springs and shocks package? I don't mean drop height, spring rates or anything like that, I mean it in the most literal sense. I remember reading somewhere that there is a difference, perhaps the f-sport springs and shocks still retain a crucial stock element that after market coilovers replace? Coil overs, correct me if I'm wrong here are just shocks and springs as well... right?
Old 05-23-08, 06:43 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NovaIS350
Newb question: Whats the difference between an after market coil over setup and the F-sport springs and shocks package? I don't mean drop height, spring rates or anything like that, I mean it in the most literal sense. I remember reading somewhere that there is a difference, perhaps the f-sport springs and shocks still retain a crucial stock element that after market coilovers replace? Coil overs, correct me if I'm wrong here are just shocks and springs as well... right?
The difference is with coil overs you can adjust the height and firmness. With the F sport shocks and springs combo you can't. It's fixed.
Old 06-02-08, 09:15 AM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Does anyone have any pics of the components installed? I'm seriously considering doing the full suspension (minus the rear chassis brace). I'm getting to the point where I just can't stand the body roll while cornering.

ba-b4--- can you elaborate on your dissatisfaction with the steering wheel firmness?
Old 06-02-08, 10:19 AM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Buds
Does anyone have any pics of the components installed? I'm seriously considering doing the full suspension (minus the rear chassis brace). I'm getting to the point where I just can't stand the body roll while cornering.

ba-b4--- can you elaborate on your dissatisfaction with the steering wheel firmness?
Yeah forget the brace it won't help you much if at all...

About the steering firmness I think most people here with 06 - 07 model IS would prefer firmer steering because it's very loose, light and not very sporty feeling. The 08 models have firmer steering though so I've heard.
Old 06-02-08, 12:02 PM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah forget the brace it won't help you much if at all...

About the steering firmness I think most people here with 06 - 07 model IS would prefer firmer steering because it's very loose, light and not very sporty feeling. The 08 models have firmer steering though so I've heard.
Oh ok... I didn't know if something changed after the parts were installed that caused you to be dissatisfied with the steering feel. Thanks!
Old 06-02-08, 12:10 PM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

I dont know if anyone else saw the specs on the new fsport.com, but the sway bar stats are pretty intriguing...

IS250 Stiffness increase: Front: 46.6% Rear: 42.8%
IS250 AWD Stiffness Increase: Front: n/a Rear: 42.8%
IS350 Stiffness Increase: Front: 6.3% Rear: 151.5%

Pretty astounding if you ask me (if these numbers are in fact legit)!
Old 06-02-08, 01:02 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

^^^Those numbers don't really make sense.. why would the IS250 stock rear sway's be larger than the 350's stock rears?

Quick Reply: Review: F-Sport Springs and F-Sport Bilstein Shocks