Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Just installed my tein flex..impressions

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-08, 09:59 AM
FinLIFE
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Just installed my tein flex..impressions

Well I swapped out my l tuned suspension last night for a set of tein flex. The adjustment on the flex is awesome and currently im tucking the stock 17's . The only thing that bugs me about them so far is that they are a bit noisier than my l-tuned. I took the car for a quick spin and when you roll over a bump or a medium crack in the road you can hear/feel it. I dont know if its cause of the upper pillowball mounts, but I was used to the real smooth and soft feel of my shock/spring combo. The car is stiffer and more responsive and also feels a lot different when you step in/out of it cause of the lowered stance. Im going back in the garage today to raise it back up a little cause once it settled it went down a little too much hehe. I guess it will take getting used to.

Quick question for flex owners. To adjust damping do you go all they way counter-clockwise first and then count the clicks going clockwise?? or do you go all the way clockwise and then going the clicks going back?
Old 03-09-08, 10:15 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Nice chris, bring the car in to work tomorrow i wanna see.
Old 03-09-08, 10:25 AM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4_CS
Well I swapped out my l tuned suspension last night for a set of tein flex. The adjustment on the flex is awesome and currently im tucking the stock 17's . The only thing that bugs me about them so far is that they are a bit noisier than my l-tuned. I took the car for a quick spin and when you roll over a bump or a medium crack in the road you can hear/feel it. I dont know if its cause of the upper pillowball mounts, but I was used to the real smooth and soft feel of my shock/spring combo. The car is stiffer and more responsive and also feels a lot different when you step in/out of it cause of the lowered stance. Im going back in the garage today to raise it back up a little cause once it settled it went down a little too much hehe. I guess it will take getting used to.

Quick question for flex owners. To adjust damping do you go all they way counter-clockwise first and then count the clicks going clockwise?? or do you go all the way clockwise and then going the clicks going back?
I have a pair of Tein CS's and thought I would get used to the noise as well, that didn't happen so I tried a few things that worked pretty well. First I bought and installed a new bump stop. That took care of any "thuds" when I went over a bigger bump/dip. Next I strayed undercoating on TOP of the pillow mount which took care of quite a bit of the noise. The last thing I did, which improved the performance was to treat the pillow mounts an additional time then install Tein Strut Bars, both front and rear. Found them on www.hopupracing.com for $125 (free shipping). wwwl-tunedparts.com probably can probably do better but I had credit on hop up I needed to use. Once I went through that three step process I am GRINNING all the way down the road!!
[/QUOTE]

Sound silly but remember, lefty loosey, righty tightey. Clockwise will tighten, counterclockwise will loosen.
Old 03-09-08, 11:23 AM
FinLIFE
Pole Position

I know the whole lefty loosey..etc, but some coilovers come with instructions that tell you how to adjust the damper properly. Lets say I want to set it at 8, do I go all the way to the left and then click 8 up..or?? do I go all the way to the right and then click 8 back?? thanks btw ill try to make a thin bushing to sit on top of the mount and ill look into strut tower bars.
Old 03-09-08, 02:48 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

left, loose = 0 / right, tight = 32
Old 07-19-08, 12:06 AM
Scott1258
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZippyGuy
I have a pair of Tein CS's and thought I would get used to the noise as well, that didn't happen so I tried a few things that worked pretty well. First I bought and installed a new bump stop. That took care of any "thuds" when I went over a bigger bump/dip. Next I strayed undercoating on TOP of the pillow mount which took care of quite a bit of the noise. The last thing I did, which improved the performance was to treat the pillow mounts an additional time then install Tein Strut Bars, both front and rear. Found them on www.hopupracing.com for $125 (free shipping). wwwl-tunedparts.com probably can probably do better but I had credit on hop up I needed to use. Once I went through that three step process I am GRINNING all the way down the road!!

Zippy guy,

On the new bump stops - were those oem lexus bump stops or tein ones you got? Part number?

Any more noises or did all that keep the noises out? And how do the Tein CS's compare to say the Bilstein Sports on stock springs - anyone know? Thanks
Old 07-19-08, 06:30 AM
Damnnchi
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

gs4_cs, if you want the dampening at 8 the click all the way to the left then click 8 to the right
Old 07-19-08, 09:17 AM
FinLIFE
Pole Position

Update..Installed tein strut tower bars and they seem to help out with the noise. So far they have been real good coilovers with very little complaints from me.
Old 07-19-08, 09:23 AM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I know the whole lefty loosey..etc, but some coilovers come with instructions that tell you how to adjust the damper properly. Lets say I want to set it at 8, do I go all the way to the left and then click 8 up..or?? do I go all the way to the right and then click 8 back?? thanks btw ill try to make a thin bushing to sit on top of the mount and ill look into strut tower bars.
On my TEIN CS's you have to tighten all the way down, then click back out to the damper setting you want.
Old 10-02-08, 12:32 PM
wuznme
Driver School Candidate

Update..Installed tein strut tower bars and they seem to help out with the noise. So far they have been real good coilovers with very little complaints from me.

How exactly does the STB help with the noise? I have a 01' 430 and on certain roads; noise is horrible coming from the front end.

Just recently installed upper/lower ball joints, tie-rods, the CS'

Car is running on 19" wheels with Mich PS2's

No other complaints other then the front-end noise, thought it might be wheel bearings, but doesn't make the noise all the time.
Old 10-02-08, 02:26 PM
dRo15
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Turbo_gg
On my TEIN CS's you have to tighten all the way down, then click back out to the damper setting you want.
By saying you are tightening all the way down you are turning it clockwise (to the right). Is that correct?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but CS are 16 way adjustable not 32. So if you wanted it set at 8 it really doesn't matter if you you start from the softest or hardest setting. Although I have had Tein SS on different cars and know some do click a few more than 16 times. I don't know how or why, if they are supposed to be 16 way adjustable. So I would start from 0 and turn right 8 clicks.