Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Lower Ball joint failed today - with pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-09, 10:16 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would take it to a shop you know and trust, and order the ball joints and whatever parts you need replaced from either Carson Toyota or Sewell Lexus, just to save yourself some money. Also if you have the tools there are DIYs on how to replace the ball joints and tie rod ends and such. Did it damage your fender also?
Old 02-05-09, 11:21 AM
kevin.tran
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation File a complaint

Here is the complaint number or Confirmation number (ODI Number): 10257562 Below is what I wrote in the complaint. Everyone should write or file a complaint if your balljoint had failed.

I own a 1999 lexus gs300. I've heard some creaking noises coming from the front suspension leading up to the failing of my lower ball joints. Before it failed I brought it to firestone on FT. Lewis, WA to get a suspension inspection where they did not see or hear anything from my suspension. So a week later (January 15th 2007) I was driving in Seattle, WA when the lower ball joint failed. The result of that was body damage due to the vehicle crashing down onto the wheel and a snapped ABS sensor wire. Just to repair this vehicle to be able to drive was to replace the ball joint and new tires that all together amounted to about almost $600 dollars for a part was was about $50-60 dollars. The cost of repairing my vehicle isn't an issue but this is a very serious malfunction or defected item that needs to be reviewed. I've waited to file a complaint to see the amount of people effected by this and since than there were more than a dozen instance where the ball joint has or had failed causing damage and in time will cause death or serious injury to people not aware of this problem i.e on a freeway where people can't stop in time to avoid it or the actually wheel comming off the vehicle and hitting another vehicle. Most of these instances has happend at low speeds, side streets or parking lots. Like I said before I waited to file a complaint to see the amount of people effected by it and to also compile more information. These are a direct link to the disscussion about the problem that includes pictures and accounts for each instances: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/susp...gs-owners.html and https://www.clublexus.com/forums/susp...with-pics.html There are more links to discussions about this problem but I believe these two links will be enough to discribe the problems and people effect by it.

*This is what I wrote and it is a overall summary. It is up to each individual to file a complaint listing the nature or discription of each ball joint failure because each one is differnt in nature and can not be compiled onto one complaint.
Old 02-05-09, 01:36 PM
mkaresh
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sUpErMaNGS
MY 2000 LEXUS GS300 ball joint snapped today it looks exactly like the first post =[!!!!!!!!!!
im so sad...it got towed away

any ideas how much it will cost in a normal shop? and when it died on me VSC ABS and another light turned on....will it go away after i fix it?
How many miles were on the car at the time?
Old 02-16-09, 09:24 PM
cone_killr
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

So the latest ball joint failure theory I heard from a dealer was that the camber arm spherical bearing wears-out and allows the front spindle to slam fore and aft to generate high loads at the ball. Doesn't seem to be consistent with the stories of creaking and driving down the freeway without applying the brakes though. Did you have any vibrations prior to the socket failure?
Old 02-16-09, 09:59 PM
[ant]
Lexus Test Driver

damn, i bought some new b/j's and had my car in for service last Friday and had intended to get them changed at the time, but forgot to give them my wheel lock nut key! so they checked them and said they;re fine, but im still worried since my car is low on 19s with a couple of deg of neg camber. the car has done 140k KMs. I think i'll book it in and get them done after all :P
Old 02-17-09, 12:06 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Just add as much lubrication as you can to the ball joints as a precaution. I didn't do that because I didn't know what kind they were using. If anyone from sewell or carson can chime in... it'll be great. Adding additional lubrication can help make the parts less likely to fail to stress and heat.
Old 02-17-09, 11:37 AM
TRD911
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cone_killr
So the latest ball joint failure theory I heard from a dealer was that the camber arm spherical bearing wears-out and allows the front spindle to slam fore and aft to generate high loads at the ball. Doesn't seem to be consistent with the stories of creaking and driving down the freeway without applying the brakes though. Did you have any vibrations prior to the socket failure?
Based on the pictures we have here in this thread it is a lubrication issue. I am sure that your lexus dealer has seen way more ball joints and in many differents health states so he may know more then.

I will probably get heat for this but, I do not aggree with this being a mechanical wear item. This part should last forever. You should need to replace the car before this part.

My vote is that it is a lub issue.

BP
Old 02-19-09, 11:11 PM
[ant]
Lexus Test Driver

Got mine changed anyway today. Car was dead stock and 1 older owner before me, since i had it i dumped it on coilovers and added 19s. Mines a 98 GS300 with 140,000km's on the clock. Had it serviced last week and they said ball joints were okay, and i never got any creaking or crunching or any strange sounds.

nevertheless id bought the joint already and figured for a couple of hundred i might as well get the job done. Since changing them the steerng and front end definately feels tighter. Not a huge difference, but noticeable. Also, i get more NVH than i did before, which also confirms that they did have some play which has been eliminated.

overall im glad i did them, now im less stressed when driving the car!
Old 02-19-09, 11:13 PM
Mr.412
Lead Lap

how much are new parts?
Old 02-19-09, 11:21 PM
[ant]
Lexus Test Driver

i actually bought them several months ago in August last year through Carson Lexus, price was $63.70USD per side
Old 02-19-09, 11:34 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

At Sewell Lexus it is about $122 for a pair. With the clublexus discount it is about $107 for the pair.
Old 02-20-09, 06:42 AM
Mr.412
Lead Lap

how do I make contact with them?
Old 02-20-09, 03:01 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr.412
how do I make contact with them?
With who, Sewell? Just use their online parts order page. http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/ Click on service and maintenance button, enter your model and year in the pull down windows, then select common service items on the left, select the parts you want, then enter clublexus as the discount code before you check out for the discounted price.
Old 02-23-09, 08:45 AM
Mr.412
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
With who, Sewell? Just use their online parts order page. http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/ Click on service and maintenance button, enter your model and year in the pull down windows, then select common service items on the left, select the parts you want, then enter clublexus as the discount code before you check out for the discounted price.
thanks bro!
Old 09-01-09, 06:50 PM
gnipgnop
Driver School Candidate

Default Wow...

This is the EXACT same thing that happened today to me on my 1998 GS400 that has about 225k miles on her. I had the ball joints replaced last year. I am having the car delivered to the place I had it worked on last month to see what (if anything) they might do... since they gave me the green light after about $1700 in suspension work. OUCH. I think this is DEFINITELY a safety issue... luckily I had just exited the highway and turned left off of the exit ramp when the B J snapped on the front left tire and I basically came to a stop on the side of it. My car looked literally IDENTICAL to the first post.

Quick Reply: Lower Ball joint failed today - with pics