Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Lower Ball joint failed today - with pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-08, 08:43 AM
cm0nkey
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
This is why i always emphasize that all 98-00 GS should get new balljoints, especially if you dont know if they're original or not. Putting the 98-00 balljoints next to the 01-05's, they look a bit different. All the 01+ GS i've done never had any play in the balljoint. It's usually the 98-00 GS that has some sort of play. Thankfully, the ones you buy from Lexus are the same ones as the 01-05 balljoints.

I haven't really seen any 01+ failures. But who knows, there are always exceptions.

Do you know how I can tell if they installed the new 01+ joints, I did not have the service done at a dealer.

Thanks!!
Old 03-05-08, 08:47 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cm0nkey
Can a mechanic tell me why this idea has not already been put into production..

Here is what I am thinking, create a simple product like below that attaches to ball joints. The product will secure the joint in the likely event of a faiure.

To be honest shouldnt something like this be installed from the factory??

I have 2 patents in the works, if you guys think this is legit and I will look more into it.. This just seems so simple and stupid that I must be missing something.

Great idea. But that will have to be a seriously strong cable to withstand the forces of a 3800 pound car crashing down off of a ball joint.

Another FYI: a patent can cost upwards of $10K... just a heads-up!

Frankly, I consider this a maintenance item. Replace them every 30K or so miles for peace of mind.
Old 03-05-08, 08:50 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by cm0nkey
Do you know how I can tell if they installed the new 01+ joints, I did not have the service done at a dealer.

Thanks!!
Depends if you had OEM balljoints installed or not. I do believe we have aftermarket balljoints, but I do not know anything about their reliability. I wouldn't sweat it though.
Old 03-05-08, 10:13 AM
TRD911
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
Great idea. But that will have to be a seriously strong cable to withstand the forces of a 3800 pound car crashing down off of a ball joint.

Another FYI: a patent can cost upwards of $10K... just a heads-up!

Frankly, I consider this a maintenance item. Replace them every 30K or so miles for peace of mind.
It is called a tether.

BP
Old 03-05-08, 01:01 PM
cm0nkey
Rookie

Originally Posted by TRD911
It is called a tether.

BP

AH HAH - so it does exist.

I did not have any luck finding one on google/etc but Im sure your right.
Old 03-05-08, 04:01 PM
TRD911
Lead Lap

It is mainly used to stop the wheel from flying off and killing a bystander. Not really to protect the car. The ball joint should not break and it certainly should not break at the rate we are seeing them fail so we can have multiple threads about them breaking.
Nascar.. F1 to name a few use them. http://www.sugarfreeracing.com/image...en/52299.3.jpg
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mot...afety_package/

I can kinda understand those of us who modify their car but, as I can tell the pics here are of a stock GS.

I am of the opinion that these ball joint issues that we are having is real and that it should NOT be treated as a maintenance issue. cm0nkey should not have had a failure like this.

I am assuming you had just gotten off the interstate or other road where there where several bumps.

I really think that this is a lubrication issue. Maybe I should rip the boot off my ball joint I replaced to see how much grease is inside it. I bet there is alot cause I never felt any popping before I replaced them.

This is a serious issue. I guarantee that if this where one of the old (i say old as Toyo is 2 now right?) big three that it would be all over the news and people would be screaming murder.
I am very disappointed the way Toyota continues to turn a blind eye to issues that it knows about. Tundra brakes, ball joints, Door lock actuators. Just issuing a TSB is a cop out. I am a huge Toyota fan and I do not mean to berate them.

This is VERY dangerous, I know that Chevy had an issue like this with their trailblazer line and they called people up on their cells or on-star and said pull over we will come get you now.

cm0nkey I really want some more pictures of the ball joints from you. I would really like to compare some of your pics with the pics of mine that had 80K on them.

Blast me

BP
Old 03-05-08, 08:56 PM
cm0nkey
Rookie

It is mainly used to stop the wheel from flying off and killing a bystander. Not really to protect the car. The ball joint should not break and it certainly should not break at the rate we are seeing them fail so we can have multiple threads about them breaking.
Nascar.. F1 to name a few use them. http://www.sugarfreeracing.com/image...en/52299.3.jpg

I can kinda understand those of us who modify their car but, as I can tell the pics here are of a stock GS.

I am of the opinion that these ball joint issues that we are having is real and that it should NOT be treated as a maintenance issue. cm0nkey should not have had a failure like this.

I am assuming you had just gotten off the interstate or other road where there where several bumps.

I really think that this is a lubrication issue. Maybe I should rip the boot off my ball joint I replaced to see how much grease is inside it. I bet there is alot cause I never felt any popping before I replaced them.

This is a serious issue. I guarantee that if this where one of the old (i say old as Toyo is 2 now right?) big three that it would be all over the news and people would be screaming murder.
I am very disappointed the way Toyota continues to turn a blind eye to issues that it knows about. Tundra brakes, ball joints, Door lock actuators. Just issuing a TSB is a cop out. I am a huge Toyota fan and I do not mean to berate them.

This is VERY dangerous, I know that Chevy had an issue like this with their trailblazer line and they called people up on their cells or on-star and said pull over we will come get you now.

cm0nkey I really want some more pictures of the ball joints from you. I would really like to compare some of your pics with the pics of mine that had 80K on them.

Blast me

BP

Thanks,

I will post pics soon, just got the parts from the shop today when I picked up my car. They appear to have been replaced with OEM replacements not after market, at least the bag I saw was a toyota bag.

Anyway I really need some help figuring out what my next steps are to get rid of the ABS and VSC codes my car is now throwing.

The VSC OFF, VSC, and ABS lights are all ON at all times.
Old 03-05-08, 09:00 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Did you replace the ABS sensor?
Old 03-05-08, 09:20 PM
cm0nkey
Rookie

Originally Posted by GSteg
Did you replace the ABS sensor?
No they soldered the wire back together....

And one other strange thing is the code indicates the FR sensor - but the wire was cut to the Front Drivers side sensor, which I assume is FL?

C0200 - FR Whell Speed Sensor Malfunction (Cald,Cam, RX3, Cel.)
Old 03-06-08, 12:06 PM
cm0nkey
Rookie

Blast me

BP
Ok,

here are the pics of the both joints..

Old 03-06-08, 12:19 PM
TRD911
Lead Lap

Chirs.... In this picture right here does it look to you like the shaft(?) rubbed and rubbed and rubbed into the side of the socket causing it to wear break rather than snap?
Does having them in your hands help you determine why yours broke?

How did you get the ball out of the socket in one of your other pictures?

I will try to get the boot of my old ball joint tonight and take pics.. I will try..

Thanks for the pics.

BP
Attached Thumbnails Lower Ball joint failed today - with pics-failed-20ball-20joint-205.jpg  
Old 03-06-08, 12:28 PM
cm0nkey
Rookie

Chirs.... In this picture right here does it look to you like the shaft(?) rubbed and rubbed and rubbed into the side of the socket causing it to wear break rather than snap?
Does having them in your hands help you determine why yours broke?

How did you get the ball out of the socket in one of your other pictures?

I will try to get the boot of my old ball joint tonight and take pics.. I will try..

Thanks for the pics.

BP

I still don't understand why they cannot make these stupid things safer.

It is not in the pics, but the rubber was attached to the drivers side, just like the passenger side.

- When I had the car up on the lift, I checked out these ball joints and to me they looked OK. The rubber was shiny and new looking with no damage present..
Old 03-06-08, 04:02 PM
TRD911
Lead Lap

Again... Chris.. how did you get the ball out of the socket? I took my boot off of one of my old ones.. It felt tight although I could move it much free-er then the tie rod end not that means anything.

SORRY TO YELL... I COULD NOT GET THE BALL OUT OF THE SOCKET WITH MY HANDS.

Anyway the very first thing I did when I got home was straight out to the garage with the gloves on... took the boot off.. wifey comes out out and says what are you doing. I did not want to tell her... so she waited and talked about her day.. bla bla bla.. then she asked me again.. well here goes.. I am playing with my balljoints... she said... Okay.. I don't wanna know..

Here are some pics..
Attached Thumbnails Lower Ball joint failed today - with pics-dsc00472.jpg  
Old 03-06-08, 04:03 PM
TRD911
Lead Lap

This one of the boot itself.. I see lots of grease..

BP
Attached Thumbnails Lower Ball joint failed today - with pics-dsc00469.jpg  
Old 03-06-08, 04:05 PM
TRD911
Lead Lap

After some brake clean.. It moves around fairly freely but, it does not feel overly loose.

BP
Attached Thumbnails Lower Ball joint failed today - with pics-dsc00476.jpg  

Quick Reply: Lower Ball joint failed today - with pics