Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

My gixxer_drew Bilstein Hypercoil Review

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-08, 09:54 PM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SC4Hundo
How are you going to keep them from rusting fast?
Anyone know if theres a weight difference?
I would assume chrome would be heavier
I would assume that gixxer_drew had a damn good reason for selecting Hyper Coil springs over everything else on the market and I'd bet it had nothing to do with the color or finish.
Old 05-23-08, 11:01 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

hypercoil is the chit. they make very good product. my boss use to run hypercoil and eibach on all his VW F3 and toyota atlantic cars.

im seriously considering doing this setup. they only thing that holding me back is that a. i was thinking of selling my car and b. i can get a good deal on some stances.
Old 05-24-08, 01:53 AM
JJsc3
Driver

Try this exact setup with Eibach Prokit springs instead of hyper coils. It may just be the best suspension you've ever ridden on a SC. I'm running 19X10 with 255/40/19, slightly stretched, and my ride is lowered all the way so that the side wall of the tire is tucked in about 3/4 of an inch. That's just to give you an idea of how low my ride is, and that most would probably expect a very harsh ride. Oh, the rears only of course, lol... And I'm running the exact setup being talked about right now, except with Prokit springs. Those Bilstein's work so well once lowered. I think it gets better the more you lower it. That explains why it's so tough to compress a bilstein strut by hand. I've tried several coilover systems from the past, including HKS(stiff), Tanabes(too stiff), K-Sports(too stiff), FLT-A2(beautiful but more to the soft side). FLT's won my highest rating until..., I tried the Bilstein/Prokit w/customized coilover sleeves, I'm looking no further. It's the true, "it's not too stiff, yet not too soft" of a setup. It's an enjoyment while riding on the freeway especially. The inbound and rebound of the Bilsteins work so well with each other, as it compensates so beautifully on some of the dips of most highways. Another good thing is, you're building yourself a fine suspension setup on your own. Can't beat that.

I suggest everybody try out this setup if you can afford to spend another $700.00. Build it yourself and follow the instructions given to you already at the first page of this thread. I think it's worth it, and you just might end up selling your existing coilover system.

Alright, I'm done advertising, lol........!

Last edited by JJsc3; 05-24-08 at 02:03 AM.
Old 05-24-08, 09:59 AM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JJsc3
Try this exact setup with Eibach Prokit springs instead of hyper coils. It may just be the best suspension you've ever ridden on a SC.....
Say What? Glad you're happy with them and that they worked out for now.

In the interest of full disclosure, are you posting on Supraforums as "300sc" Newbie join date Apr 2008 from Cali on the ? Because if you are there are several informed replies from owners who had tested and used Eibachs and challenged to your decision to go with them.

gixxer_drew who specifically replied (twice in fact) stating first that:
Originally Posted by 300sc
I'm using regular Eibach lowering springs..

Those springs are nowhere near the quality of Hypercoils. I was quite unimpressed by them. -gixxer drew

Originally Posted by 300sc
... I dissagree though that the quality of Eibachs are no match compared to hypercoils. As long as you get the right spring rates for hyper coils, then you're okay. If not, you're gonna wish you had on Eibachs, lol.. ... a lot of people make negative comments about certain parts without even having tried using the part before.. Back it up!

Can you give a basis for your disagreement that eibachs are high quality because I can site some spring testing that show bad inconsisties in spring rate, fast deterioration over time and if you want anecdotal evidence (as you suggested) about why something is good or bad I'll give you some. A buddy (on this board) had eibachs and after a few years of use they were sagging so badly that the coils were binding on eachother. There are people who have performed tests on springs eibachs ARE sub par compared to hypercoils. This isn't a matter of opinion its a matter of FACT. - gixxer drew

Post #263
"I have had eibach prokit springs on my supra and they were utter garbage. They kept sagging and sagging lower and lower as they get older past 4 years. Tell me why a stock spring has to be 10+years or older before they start to sag in comparison to eibach springs? Also as mentioned before, they are way too unpredictable. I have felt that first hand doing spirited drives in the mt. Drew knows they are crap because in the past he has driven my car more then enough times and sat in my car more then enough times to already know that w/o owning a set. I forgot to mention the fact that the coils were binding when the car was static and just sitting there parked." - 95jza80tt

"I've used the Eibach ProKit on street and track, and I find it to be both unpredictable (who wants progressive springs on the track?) and not well matched to the OEM shocks on the Supra. Can you please provide a rationale that explains why you think Eibachs are good? As you say -- back it up. What are you creds?" - quick

So like the man said "what are your creds" ? You keep insisting and posting that Eibachs are great springs.

Last edited by SCoupe; 05-24-08 at 10:05 AM.
Old 05-24-08, 10:09 AM
JJsc3
Driver

Huh? Oh no... it's just my opinion. I haven't checked the supraforums for 300's posting. But I've had the setup for 3 weeks now bro, and I ain't going with anything else.. I've never experienced Eibach's to sag over time. As a matter fact, the Eibach springs I have on now are 4 years old. They were previously used on my wrecked sc. That time, I was running Eibach's with Tokico Illuminias. The first 2-3 months, the setup was working perfectly. After that, the ride started getting really bouncy, and that's when I swapped out the Illuminias for Koni's. Koni's were the shts. I had the rears at the stiffest mode, #3; I think it was, and I set the fronts to the softest mode #1. That was it, and I've used them for a little over 2 years until I wrapped my ride, snapping the piston of the front and rear passenger side shock. I then kept the Eibach's until I purchased another SC, and had plans to run it the way TRD recommends it. That's running the Bilstein/Eibach combo. I've had those for a good year or so. The ride was not as good as Koni's, but until I found the Bilstein coilover sleeves, dropped the ride another inch or so, and I couldn't be more happier.

I mentioned from my previous thread that I've tried on several other coilover systems in the past, but they were all out of friends' rides consisting of Supra's and SC's.

Last edited by JJsc3; 05-24-08 at 10:38 AM.
Old 05-24-08, 11:21 AM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

It has been my experience that hypercoils are excellent springs and lots of my scca and rally buddies use them on their track day cars as well as their daily driver/ weekend warriors. Bilstein are excellent quality shock absorbers.

Eibach springs leave little to be desired in my opinion but it's also not my preference to lower a car 3" by cranking down a set of coilovers and put largly oversize rims on it without changing other parameters of the suspension. At that point it's a look your going for not functionality or performance.

If you'd like a high quality alternative to hypercoils try: http://www.swiftsprings.com/advantage.html

They're extremely high quality and well thought out/engineered springs. They're a variation in design of a conventional linear spring.
Old 05-24-08, 12:04 PM
SC400DAVE
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SCoupe
I would assume that gixxer_drew had a damn good reason for selecting Hyper Coil springs over everything else on the market and I'd bet it had nothing to do with the color or finish.
I totally agree! All springs are not created equal! I have personally made springs and know this for a fact. If I went with this set up I personally would use the springs recommended if I wanted the same results gixxer_drue got.
Old 05-24-08, 02:44 PM
JJsc3
Driver

Originally Posted by UpInTheLex
It has been my experience that hypercoils are excellent springs and lots of my scca and rally buddies use them on their track day cars as well as their daily driver/ weekend warriors. Bilstein are excellent quality shock absorbers.

Eibach springs leave little to be desired in my opinion but it's also not my preference to lower a car 3" by cranking down a set of coilovers and put largly oversize rims on it without changing other parameters of the suspension. At that point it's a look your going for not functionality or performance.

If you'd like a high quality alternative to hypercoils try: http://www.swiftsprings.com/advantage.html

They're extremely high quality and well thought out/engineered springs. They're a variation in design of a conventional linear spring.
It's actually a pretty darn good ride bro. You should try it before you help me decide what's good and what's not. Honestly, I wouldn't even get involved in this post if I had nothing to do with this suspension setup. And if it did suck, I would definitely tell people to stay away from it. I'm serious! It's really good.

By the way, 3" is not that much of a drop for SC's. I can certainly drop it lower, but then I'll be leaving my shocks without any suspension travel. Believe me, I thought about it and measured everything before I dropped it any lower. I've driven SC's for a total of 6 years, may not be that much compared to others, but sufficient enough to say that I know what I'm doing. I am an enthusiast, and be prepared to see some pictures of my ride once I"m done.

I do respect your point also, but please let others experience what I have. They just might love it.

Last edited by JJsc3; 05-24-08 at 02:55 PM.
Old 05-24-08, 04:05 PM
sumotime
Rookie

I just got the UPS tracking info for my shocks . I am ready to drop the LEX. Sumo
Old 05-24-08, 11:53 PM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JJsc3
Honestly, I wouldn't even get involved in this post if I had nothing to do with this suspension setup. 3" is not that much of a drop for SC's
"Honestly"... your set up no longer has anything to do with gixxer drew Bilstein Hypercoil set up. The gixxer drew set up was never about dropping the car to improve handling and specifically recommending not to lower more than 1" from stock with his set-up.

You've slammed your sc to within half an inch of its suspension travel then capped it off by using crappy springs by any informed standard and beg others to join you before trying gixxer drew's well conceived and executed suspension system.
Old 05-26-08, 01:12 PM
CLRH2O
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stupidnewb
The shocks came from eshox.com

:/ www.eshox.com is a website for " eShox4 eCommerce Software For Small Business"

Am I reading something wrong here? I went off to buy a set of Bilsteins and found a website selling web dev ecommerce software.....
Old 05-26-08, 02:07 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe it's supposed to be www.shox.com.
Old 05-26-08, 05:52 PM
CCC-TT
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Last night RedPhoenix took me for a ride in his car, and i was impressed with the suspension setup, i wouldnt mind something a little stiffer but i was pretty happy with it. I think this is what i will be ordering here in the next week or so when i can fully make up my mind. I just figured I'd vouch for the setup and say that it really does feel nice while driving and not harsh by any means.
Old 05-26-08, 09:11 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CCC-TT
Last night RedPhoenix took me for a ride in his car, and i was impressed with the suspension setup, i wouldnt mind something a little stiffer but i was pretty happy with it. I think this is what i will be ordering here in the next week or so when i can fully make up my mind. I just figured I'd vouch for the setup and say that it really does feel nice while driving and not harsh by any means.

Thanks Bobby
Old 05-26-08, 11:24 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

in all honesty a spring is only as good as its price and designated use. i have had experience with eibach and hypercoil springs for formula cars and i have to say that both worked extremely well.

i have the eibach springs on my car with tokico hp's and the HAS sagged a bit over the last two years. the ride remained the same. the springs are too soft for the weight of the car. the eibach springs made for out cars are a cheap alternative to stock springs that are about to break. the only reason i got my setup was because it only cost me 150 bucks. if i had to pay anything close to retail i would never even consider it.

hypercoil makes a great product and eibach makes good springs...just not for out cars.

my buddy is doing the gixxer drew similar setup for his mk3 supra. i will let you know how it goes.

Quick Reply: My gixxer_drew Bilstein Hypercoil Review