Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

My gixxer_drew Bilstein Hypercoil Review

Old 02-27-08, 08:53 AM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 188 Posts

If any one reads the SF thread about this from drew, you would be dead set on this. I know I will def. be doing this on my car.
Old 02-27-08, 01:49 PM
Checkk
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be doing this also when they start getting the shocks in. The shocks are back ordered until May.
Old 02-27-08, 01:53 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i wouldnt say dead set on it but its a great setup. if i had a dedicated track car i would do it and have certain valving and spring rates for it. then do the same for the daily driver.

it is not practical to have a setup that is "best of both worlds"

you cant have your cake and eat it too. its a compromise. compromising is not a good thing when it comes to suspension. some people track their car and also drive it on the street. for some one serious about tracking or drifting would not want the same valving and spring rates they use on the street.

track setup on the street is harsh...even though i dont mind it.
street setup on the track=FAIL

end of story.

if you compromise you lose.

RedPhonix did this because he will use this car 99% on the street. i talked to him about his goals for the car. we came to the conclusion that a set of coilovers is not necessary for him.

i daily drive my car but also take it to pretty much every drift day there is in the area. this season midwest has about 10 events set up with 6 Midwest Cup drift competition events. the season goes from april to october. i will be at all of them. if i save up by april im getting stance because i need more flexibility then this setup offers...even though it is very good.
Old 02-29-08, 07:21 AM
gunluvS14
Driver School Candidate

wow great stuff.
def. a better alternative than most JDM coilover... most has too much compression and too slow of rebound, or worst, underdamped for their spring rate.

great job
Old 02-29-08, 07:24 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gunluvS14
wow great stuff.
def. a better alternative than most JDM coilover... most has too much compression and too slow of rebound, or worst, underdamped for their spring rate.

great job
Thank ya sir
Old 03-02-08, 02:00 AM
Juzscy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RedPhoenix
I guess its pairing the Bilstein Shocks that are valved to deal with springs that are up to 20% over stock rates and the softer Hypercoil springs help it.
I'm liking this set up the more I read about it. Curious about the Bilstein valving, and the spring rates, though.

I've only found stock spring rates published in one spot for a 92 SC400 - 357lb F and 182lb R. If those are correct, that works out to 6.39 kg F and 3.26kg R, WAY below most coilover numbers. If so, your "softer" Hypers at 500 and 275 pounds are far more than the 20% over stock you mention. Any idea if those ARE the correct rates for stock?

Do you have specs for the Bilstein rates and travel? Also do you have the outside diameter of the shock body? I might make some sleeves.

Thanks
Old 03-02-08, 06:16 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Juzscy
I'm liking this set up the more I read about it. Curious about the Bilstein valving, and the spring rates, though.

I've only found stock spring rates published in one spot for a 92 SC400 - 357lb F and 182lb R. If those are correct, that works out to 6.39 kg F and 3.26kg R, WAY below most coilover numbers. If so, your "softer" Hypers at 500 and 275 pounds are far more than the 20% over stock you mention. Any idea if those ARE the correct rates for stock?

Do you have specs for the Bilstein rates and travel? Also do you have the outside diameter of the shock body? I might make some sleeves.

Thanks

I thought there was some charts in the SupraForums thread on my first post. It may have the info that you are looking for.

My shocks are within the 20%, not surpass it. If you cant find it, call Bilstein. They are very good people and very knowledgeable.

The sleeves are " 2" " sleeves but everywhere you go there are labeled 46mm. That is the ID size. Each sleeve by Bilstein has a notch inside the sleeve in the center that slides onto a C-Clip thats on each shock. It keeps it from moving.

There are other companies that make the sleeves, but without knowing if they had the notch in the middle of the sleeve, I couldnt risk it. Most seemed to only have the notches in the top and bottom (Bilstein does as well, but they have a 3rd notch in the center).

The notch is also tapered too. This is done so the sleeve fits snuggly over the C-Clip.
Old 03-02-08, 06:14 PM
Juzscy
Driver School Candidate

I thought there was some charts in the SupraForums thread on my first post. It may have the info that you are looking for.
Couldn't find the info on the Supra thread - I'll contact Bilstein directly.

Thanks for the info
Old 03-09-08, 01:21 PM
Rexn30
Pole Position

gooood those are some balln *** wheels lol
Old 03-12-08, 04:31 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rexn30
gooood those are some balln *** wheels lol
haha you know it!
Old 04-14-08, 11:56 AM
b1ackhawk
Intermediate

What spring rates did you end up going with? i saw 2 numbers for the rear in the gixxer thread, 250 and 300, i think i only saw 1 number for the fronts.

Also, did you need to use a spring compressing tool to remove the old or install the new setup?
Old 04-14-08, 12:08 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SC4Hundo
What spring rates did you end up going with? i saw 2 numbers for the rear in the gixxer thread, 250 and 300, i think i only saw 1 number for the fronts.

Also, did you need to use a spring compressing tool to remove the old or install the new setup?
Hey hows it going? I went with 500f/275r. I used a spring compressor to remove the old strut mounts. Advance Auto rents them for free. its like $60 deposit and they return it when you bring it back.
Old 04-14-08, 12:40 PM
b1ackhawk
Intermediate

Hey hows it going? I went with 500f/275r. I used a spring compressor to remove the old strut mounts. Advance Auto rents them for free. its like $60 deposit and they return it when you bring it back.
It's going good...forums like this certainly make life easier
Awesome info man, Thanks!

you must monitor your threads 24/7, instant response :P
Old 04-14-08, 02:34 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SC4Hundo
It's going good...forums like this certainly make life easier
Awesome info man, Thanks!

you must monitor your threads 24/7, instant response :P
lol I happen to be doing a lot of computer based homework and take frequent breaks
Old 04-14-08, 02:49 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

lol I happen to be doing a lot of computer based homework and take frequent breaks
Lies! I bet you have CL sync'd to your mobile device so you get alerts when your threads are replied to.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My gixxer_drew Bilstein Hypercoil Review