Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

CL - Need Help - Choosing Suspension (A few coilover choices versus Springs/Shocks)

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-08, 01:09 PM
AdrockTT
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CL - Need Help - Choosing Suspension (A few coilover choices versus Springs/Shocks)

Hello all. I'm usually over on SF.com, but I need some help with my 2000 platinum series GS300 that I have just put some new 19s on.

I have currently bone stock suspension with 19x8.5 235/35/19 fronts and 19x9.5 275/35/19 rears.

My goals are to lower the car, eliminating the fender gap, WITHOUT losing ride quality. This is my daily driver, my luxury car, and I'm a granny driver in this thing. Performance is not anywhere near the importance of comfort, non-bouncy, smooth, not-jarring-your-teeth, daily drivable ride. I also DO NOT want to rub tires in my car either.

That said, I'm a dealer for many different car parts, so my choices of parts is based on my rates and ability to get various pricing on different setups. I don't have a lot of room here (ie - don't really want to go Tein, Espelir, etc, due to lack of a solid account.)

OK, here's what I'm considering

A) Lowering Springs with New Shocks
A-1: Tanabe NF2 with KYB GR2
A-2: Tanabe DF2 with KYB GR2
A-3/A-4: Tanabe springs with Bilstein Shocks (HDs I would assume since I hear they ride better)

Coilovers
[Cost aside, I'd rather know that my choice fits my priorities of quality ride with fender gap eliminated, longevity for my DD, etc. than debate the cost diff between springs/shocks and coilovers]

B) K-Sport Kontrol Pro Damper System KSP-CLX05-KP coilovers
I've seen very little feedback, can anyone point me to a review or have any input here? Would these fit my goals? Should I add the helper spring to make things softer?

C) Tanabe Sustec Pro S-OC Coilovers
Same questions as above (I assume these are better for ride quality with the helper spring than the S-OC type II version...)

D) Tein CS v.2
Honestly, I am including these for thoroughness, but I'd have to pay a great deal more for these due to accounts that I can't see making it fully worth the difference (unless these are just the perfect combo). Any thoughts, especially comparisons/contrasts?

Thank you in advance for all help and input! I can't wait to get the right parts on order and get this baby dropped, handling better, and riding nice!

Adrock
Old 02-18-08, 04:13 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

first welcome.
second, utilize the search feature, it's really helpful
third, tein cs will get you about a loose finger gap all around. also, need to know the offsets you're running as well on the wheels. tanabe DF's have a fairly aggressive drop and might be your best bet on the s/s combo. dont know much about k-sport products. to be honest, your primary concern appears to comfort. i'd go w/espelir + kyb due to espelir's comparable spring rate to oem and kyb's arent as firm as bilstein's (tho i havent ridden in a car w/sports, so i cant attest to those).

i'm on hks RS and i can slam the car, capable of tucking all around. i've never adjusted the damper, but, its 32 way adjustable...so i've always got that flexibility. i just raised it up to 4 fingers/front and 3 fingers/rear and it rides firm, more than oem and tein CS, but less than HD's (keep in mind i'm still too lazy to adjust the damper to softer).

GL!

Last edited by 4ntvings; 02-18-08 at 04:16 PM.
Old 02-18-08, 04:59 PM
AdrockTT
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for your post and help! I have spent all day searching and have only found 1 prior thread on K-Sports. I am very suprised that there isn't more info

I don't have an Espelir account, but if it really warranted it, I suppose I could pay extra if the springs are that desirable. With that particular drop, I will not rub on the current tire setup?

Also, from searching, I have read mixed thoughts from several different threads as to if the KYBs ride with greater comfort than the Blistein HDs (with several posters claiming quite opposite statements...)

Overall, I gather you feel that Springs (Espelirs) with upgraded shocks (KYB GR2s) would offer the best in ride quality of the aforementioned setups?

Thanks! Please keep more input coming!
Old 02-18-08, 05:11 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

k-sport isnt a widely used suspension product on these forums, as compared to tein, tanabe, etc.
espelir springs arent too expensive.
best bet for shocks, find some CL members in your area w/the setups you like to entertain and get rides from them.
its difficult to always be able to have your cake and eat it all the time. espelirs wont eliminate the gaps completely, but, either those or the DF's might be your best economical bet.
Old 02-18-08, 05:55 PM
AdrockTT
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for your post. I wish the Tein CS was a little more affordable at my cost, but the price difference would really need to require life changing difference at this point to want to spend the difference.

I will try to look around the FL section and see if I can find someone local with Tein CS, Tanabe, or K-Sport coilovers as well as the spring shock combos I can ride along with.

I found one last thread in my last hour of searching and saw that 2 members commented that they are "break your teeth, race car stiff." If that's truth, looks like they may be off my list.
Old 02-18-08, 06:00 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

like i said, if you're on a budget, def go with s/s combo. but you'll have minimal gap

either DF or espelirs + kyb's.
Old 02-18-08, 06:33 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

for the price you will pay for S/S combo, you might might want to consider these.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=334514

Look in the memeber classifieds section, plenty of stuff, new and used.
Old 02-18-08, 06:59 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Adrock - I'm feel'n ya. I went through the same situation that you're going through. Find a comfy ride, a little more performance, and get rid of the finder gap. First of all, the posters on CL are absolutely the best. LOTS of advise, the search tools is the best, and completing this task should be no problem on this site, welcome.

That said, my best non coilover set up was Tanabe NF springs with Bilstein SP shocks. Very nice ride, sporty, and fantastic drop WITHOUT bottoming out of speed bumps or jarring my teeth in potholes. Bilstein HD are a nice choice but won't give you as much driving satisfaction.

My current set up, which I would recommend to ANYONE is Tein CS with Tein Performance bars both front and back. The ride is absolutely love...I mean just amazing. Comfy, great lowering, if needed (and that's big for me, I don't want to slam my car....I live in DC), and performance is out of this world.

Regarless of what you do make sure to buy the right tires. I would recommend the Michelin PS2 if that's one of your prefered vendors.

Hope this helps and welcome to CL.

Last edited by ZippyGuy; 02-18-08 at 06:59 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-18-08, 07:57 PM
IMXCITD
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Great thread. I am in the same boat as you. I am researching what would be the best way for me to drop my GS. I am leaning toward an Eibach Pro Kit and new shocks/struts. I'm not sure I need coilovers for this type of car...and probably would never adjust them. I am looking for a nice look (minimal fender gap on 19's) and a decent ride.

I will keep an eye on this thread.

thanks!
Old 02-18-08, 09:28 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IMXCITD
Great thread. I am in the same boat as you. I am researching what would be the best way for me to drop my GS. I am leaning toward an Eibach Pro Kit and new shocks/struts. I'm not sure I need coilovers for this type of car...and probably would never adjust them. I am looking for a nice look (minimal fender gap on 19's) and a decent ride.

I will keep an eye on this thread.

thanks!
eibach drop is only 1" all around.
Old 02-19-08, 10:01 AM
AdrockTT
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GS FONZy
for the price you will pay for S/S combo, you might might want to consider these.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=334514

Look in the memeber classifieds section, plenty of stuff, new and used.
Thanks for the post. I will keep an eye on the classifieds, though I can purchase tein at a reasonable discount new. However, I have heard that HA models are some off the most stiff, performance oriented coilovers available for the GS. Most posters who had these were either aiming for a stiff, max performance setup, had edfc and wanted to adjust frequently, or otherwise made the mistake of going HA when they would have prefered Flex or even CS.

From my current reading, the CS really sound like the right coilover - though this makes me want to go with a s/s combo since it is 1/2 the cost to me...

Sigh...So I suppose the tanabe or epselin springs with KYB or Blisteins are looking most promising so far?
Old 02-19-08, 10:23 AM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=276772
Old 02-19-08, 06:03 PM
AdrockTT
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 4ntvings
eibach drop is only 1" all around.
It is listed by Eibach at 1.2", though the spring rates are as stiff as the DF210 which offer a greater drop on the same spring rate (which sounds like more what you would want?)

Adrock
Old 02-19-08, 06:09 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

even at 1.2" drop, on 19's, you're going to still have at least 2.5" gap. you mentioned your goal is to eliminate the fender gap.
Old 02-19-08, 07:02 PM
AdrockTT
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 4ntvings
even at 1.2" drop, on 19's, you're going to still have at least 2.5" gap. you mentioned your goal is to eliminate the fender gap.
I was just answering the other poster's question and commenting on the Eibachs. Too bad they wouldn't work, I can get them dirt cheap.

At this point, from the ultimate info thread, I am really considering most strongly the DF210s with KYBs. With my current tire setup, I won't have any rubbing issues on that suspension will I???

Quick Reply: CL - Need Help - Choosing Suspension (A few coilover choices versus Springs/Shocks)