Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

How much to drop?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-08, 05:00 AM
omnixboi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much to drop?

Hey I jsut recently got a 2001 IS 300 and wondering how much I shoudl drop the car. My friend dropped his 2' and when he turns the wheel all the way, the tire hits the top part of the fender, cant even make a u-turn. I just want the capabilities of a regular car (can turn all the way and no rubbing on the fender). My budget is aroudn $400, what do you guys suggest? What brand of sprigns n how much of a drop? SOrry this is a noob question but hey im new.

any help is appreciated!
Old 02-09-08, 04:03 PM
blkis3
Driver School Candidate

I just put the Eibach pro-kit springs on my car last week and I think it rides just as good as the stock springs. It only drops the car about an inch but you can definitely tell a difference in the height. It just depends on what you want it to look like, depending on the size of the wheels I wouldnt think 2" would scrub but I dont know for sure. The springs are about $280 and very easy to install for any somewhat mechanically inclined person, just need a external spring compressor and a few other tools and can be done in a couple hours. There are some coilovers that I think are about $350 but I would imagine they ride a lot more harsh than the springs do but maybe not with a good set of struts. Good luck.
Old 02-09-08, 09:52 PM
omnixboi
Driver School Candidate

hmmm yea the thing is i got 19' rims so it scrubs the top. So the eibach springs shoudl be coo with my 19' rims? I dont know much about cars very much, the car jsut came lowered, and I want to raise it a little bit, enough so I can turn the wheel all the way. Eibach the way to go? and how mcuh of a drop... 1', 1 1/3'?
Old 02-10-08, 08:48 AM
BernieIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you only have about $400 to play with Skunk2 offers a sleeve coilover that works with your stock shocks. This would give you the adjustability to ower the car to the height that you need.
Old 02-10-08, 08:34 PM
omnixboi
Driver School Candidate

but with those skunk2 coilovers, i need to gete shocks also right? then its helal bank
Old 02-13-08, 09:23 AM
sirCharles
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blkis3
I just put the Eibach pro-kit springs on my car last week and I think it rides just as good as the stock springs. It only drops the car about an inch but you can definitely tell a difference in the height. It just depends on what you want it to look like, depending on the size of the wheels I wouldnt think 2" would scrub but I dont know for sure. The springs are about $280 and very easy to install for any somewhat mechanically inclined person, just need a external spring compressor and a few other tools and can be done in a couple hours. There are some coilovers that I think are about $350 but I would imagine they ride a lot more harsh than the springs do but maybe not with a good set of struts. Good luck.
Eibach pro-kit and simillar drops are the best for the 2nd IS.
This VIP Lexus is no rally car and such. Slam it if you want.
With Eibach pro-kit, Drop it like it's hot!