Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Thud/Clank sound coming from brakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-08, 07:57 PM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thud/Clank sound coming from brakes

I am hearing this thud/clank sound coming from my brakes. This sound occurs occasionally when releasing the brakes after putting the car in gear.

For example: Pressing down the brake, then putting it into reverse then letting go of the brake = occasional thud/clank sound. This also occurs when I release the brake after going from reverse to drive. At first I thought it was the transmisson, but after further investigation, it clearly has something to do with the brakes, calipers, etc. Not sure if anyone else has noticed this.

Last edited by NovaIS350; 02-07-08 at 08:01 PM.
Old 02-07-08, 08:41 PM
since5oh
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i have the same problem...the noise seems to be coming from the rear passenger wheel. it started out as you described and has gotten progressively worst (as in it happens all the time now). need to find time to take it in to dealership...
Old 02-07-08, 09:13 PM
Jay.Diem
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep same here...

Noise was drastically reduced after I did my brake TSB though
Old 02-08-08, 01:01 PM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

hmm, I've gotten the brake TSB. But the noise is the same. Not sure what it is, it just sounds horrible.
Old 02-08-08, 01:25 PM
vif350
Driver School Candidate

I have the same problem but the dealer can't find the problem. However, the service manager told me it was normal having to do with the 350's brakes, although I have a hard time believing he telling the truth.
Old 02-08-08, 01:41 PM
Salil022
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

i am having the same problem...i was told by the service tech that , sound is coming from brake pad shifting and i told him that it is absolutely not normal and then he tells me there is nothing they can do about it, next time i am going to speak to their service manager to see if they could do something!!
Old 02-08-08, 03:37 PM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Okay I just took my car in to get the cold start rattle issue (TSB) taken care of. I also mentioned the thud/clanking sound coming from the brakes... we'll see what happens. I will definitely keep you guys posted.
Old 02-08-08, 03:51 PM
Jay.Diem
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh make sure they don't just machine your rotors... that was a waste of time when they did that for me to try to fix it, it came back the very next day.
Old 02-09-08, 08:18 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by aragorn
Oh make sure they don't just machine your rotors... that was a waste of time when they did that for me to try to fix it, it came back the very next day.
Yeah they're not machining anything. If anything I will make them replace my rotors, calipers, and pads. I bought the car for 45K, they better do all of the above.

UPDATE: Just got the car back. Lindsay Lexus told me there was nothing wrong with my breaks, pads, calipers or rotors. It appears that we are destined to live with this noise.

Last edited by NovaIS350; 02-12-08 at 04:05 PM.
Old 03-04-08, 08:33 AM
since5oh
Rookie

hey guys, i finally took my car in last night regarding the brake noise. i drove w/ the service foreman and upon confirmation of the noise, he said it was normal. he said that he gets this question at least once a week and has tried a few things, but unable to eliminate the problem. i'll try taking it to another dealership to see if they can help me out.
Old 03-05-08, 07:51 AM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Stop wasting your time with this problem. This was the Service factor given to the break pads for heat expansion. When cold you will get a small movement. You don't want your pads to be solid to the calipers, they will crack. What your hearing is it tap the metal on each side. Look at the pic.
Attached Thumbnails Thud/Clank sound coming from brakes-breaks-006.jpg  
Old 03-25-08, 03:09 PM
since5oh
Rookie

Default fixed

took my car to lexus mission viejo and they confirmed noise was from the front brakes. i took the opportunity to try out the new low dust pads and problem is solved. no more clicking noise.
Old 05-28-09, 06:29 AM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by since5oh
took my car to lexus mission viejo and they confirmed noise was from the front brakes. i took the opportunity to try out the new low dust pads and problem is solved. no more clicking noise.
i was also told this noise is normal... i'm wondering if its the caliper or brake pad at fault (i don't know brakes, above picture means nothing to me without arrows and text).

i noticed it happened _after_ the low dust brake's from the GS line were installed. it also seemed to happen more consistently the more i shifted from D or R into N with the breaks firmly applied.
Old 06-07-09, 07:44 PM
GreyHound
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Exactly !

Originally Posted by NovaIS350
I am hearing this thud/clank sound coming from my brakes. This sound occurs occasionally when releasing the brakes after putting the car in gear.

For example: Pressing down the brake, then putting it into reverse then letting go of the brake = occasional thud/clank sound. This also occurs when I release the brake after going from reverse to drive. At first I thought it was the transmisson, but after further investigation, it clearly has something to do with the brakes, calipers, etc. Not sure if anyone else has noticed this.
I Have the same noise every now and again. Right front is where mine comes from. I always accounted for it as the mix of brake dust and surface rust that will occur on your disc, if you don't drive the car for a day or two and it rains or you wash it. Then clunk when you release those brakes, cause you have to press on them to get the car out of park.

I looked at everything in the well well, and nothing was loose when I got the wheel in the air. I am not going to worry about it. The car stops on a dime. Heck I don't mind cleaning the brake dust every other time I drive it.