Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Part 1: Complete suspension rebuild/replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-08, 08:58 PM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Part 1: Complete suspension rebuild/replacement

Complete suspension rebuild. Well first let me tell you guys that I was not planning on rebuilding the suspension at all, at least not like this. The previous owner, not a CL member, should be beaten for treating a car like this…not just because it is a Lexus but because he should care about his possessions. Anyway on to the goods…

I am awaiting all the parts to arrive. I ordered them from a guy name Luis at Carson…a couple of you may know him already Let me tell you BY FAR one of the best guys I have dealt with in the car world…even before the Lex with my Z. He is awaiting gathering all the parts..and there are a lot as you will see and then he will ship them out to me. I will then begin a mad dash to put them all on the car. I will be taking as many pictures, or my wife will actually, as I go through the process and do a write-up. There is not a single suspension piece that is left untouched I believe.

List of parts.

Carson Toyota

Front
Supra TT Lower Control Arm –Left and Right
Upper Control Arm – Left and Right
Endlinks – Left and Right

Rear
Lower Control Arm – Front (Left and Right)
Lower Control Arm – Rear ( Left and Right)
Upper Control Arm – Left and Right
Strut Rod – Left and Right
Endlinks – Left and Right
Supra TT rear stabilizer bar

Speed for Sale
Megan Racing Coilovers

Parts to buy
Outer tie rods
Stabilizer bar bushing – autozone per CL post

Any other thoughts of what I should do while I am under there. I will be doing a BBK conversion later on. Right now there is no need as I have not built the engine. I will be doing the interior next and then after that I will build the engine and paint her with new lighting. At that time I will also need to get new wheels again as the ones I have are too skinny.

This is what started the build:

This is why I need to just do all the arms

Drop the rear

Also, found this when I dropped the subframe. You think it is just the hose?
Old 02-04-08, 09:14 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

if you dont mind me asking...how much is all that costing you? why would you buy all new control arms. unless yours are bent you can just replace the bushings. buy some polyurethane bushings for all control arms, sway bars, and steering rack.

if you are getting coilovers you will sacrifice your ride quality anyways so might as well get some bushings that will improve handling and not just put a big hole in your wallet. just my $0.02
Old 02-04-08, 10:00 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow must have set you back a pretty penny. Anxious to read the difference in ride quality when you have all of it installed.
Old 02-04-08, 10:48 PM
Sc dRifta
*****Do not buy from this member until further notice *****

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

probably he wanted new ball joints.... only reason i can see buying brand new control arms but there are solutions to everything

thats what i use well a custom version of it
Old 02-04-08, 10:56 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

^^^more details and specs please.

i have access to machine shop and tig welder to get the job done.
Old 02-05-08, 11:15 AM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
if you dont mind me asking...how much is all that costing you? why would you buy all new control arms. unless yours are bent you can just replace the bushings. buy some polyurethane bushings for all control arms, sway bars, and steering rack.

if you are getting coilovers you will sacrifice your ride quality anyways so might as well get some bushings that will improve handling and not just put a big hole in your wallet. just my $0.02
understand and thought about buying the bushings.

As far as why I bought all new arms is that EVERY ball joint was broken on the car. There was not one that I could salvage and use again. in 12 years playing with cars I have never seen something like this.

I looked into custom arms but the price was a lot higher. I worked with the chassis/suspension shop that I have worked with for years and we looked and tried a couple things and none of them came out cost effective. I spent about $2500 on all the parts (minus the coilovers = $889) so overall I do not see that it cost an outrageous amount. I look at it that I have all new suspension and this car will drive very nicely. I got the car at a VERY good price because of the condition so it is a rebuild for me.
Old 02-05-08, 08:44 PM
Sc dRifta
*****Do not buy from this member until further notice *****

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
^^^more details and specs please.

i have access to machine shop and tig welder to get the job done.
lol detail and specs cost me $1200 lol pm me for my paypal address
Old 02-05-08, 09:02 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are the ball joints in our control arms replaceable?

I'm scratching my head at your $2500 parts cost???? I know Gazi must have about 50 sets of control arms with good ball joints.
Old 02-05-08, 09:22 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sc dRifta
lol detail and specs cost me $1200 lol pm me for my paypal address
so 1200 for just blueprints? if thats the case ill pass. if i had more time i would use FEA and design and make my own.
Old 02-06-08, 06:43 AM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by shern
Are the ball joints in our control arms replaceable?

no they are not replaceable. This is the first thing I tried going down the route of finding a balljoint I can swap in. After 3 months of the machine shop, chassis shop, and myself we decided that we should move on. The biggest obstacle I ran into was that that OD of the upper control arm was ~31mm (going off memory) which the only balljoint that we could find to fit that was from an ATV. Did not want to do that since the minor weight difference and I did not want to remove all the material from the arm to fit the smallest press-in I could find which was from a 82 Maxima from fear that the arm might just break.

I'm scratching my head at your $2500 parts cost???? I know Gazi must have about 50 sets of control arms with good ball joints.
I do not like buying used suspension parts...I know a new one could go out in 30K miles but with used suspension parts it is a crap shoot. Each to his own though.

I have bought from Gazi before and know he is a standup guy. I thought about it but just wanted to do everything new and rebuild the car completely from the ground up.

Last edited by ICONYQ; 02-06-08 at 06:47 AM. Reason: added more info
Old 02-06-08, 09:13 AM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Very nice thread, subscribed to see your progress and writeup...

Tip for your wife on closeup shots, turn on Macro-mode...
Old 02-06-08, 09:20 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

tread looks really promising =]

FILL IT UP WITH PICS!! =]
Old 02-06-08, 12:47 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

I plan to do the same for my car when I save up enough cash. I can't wait to see all the pictures.
Old 02-08-08, 07:51 AM
98supra6sp
Driver

I just purchased both front Supra Turbo LCA's for my Dad's 98 SC400. I also picked up the rear sub frame mounts for a Supra Turbo also. I can't wait to see how much better this car will handle with the Supra Turbo sway bars and the Supra Turbo LCA's. I am waiting for them to arrive next Tuesday.
Old 02-11-08, 08:58 PM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

Alright well I got most of the parts in and thought I would share some of the progress. I of course got hit with the flu so I am not doing all the work at one time like I wanted to. I wanted the car up this week. It might more like this weekend.

Here are the presents:

Here is the subframe on the table getting ready to take apart.

Here is the subframe on the table after putting on the 3 new control arms.

Here is an issue.

Looking at the nut you see the nylon ring. Using handtools to tighten it the screw catches on the nylon and will not continue and begins turning the control arm stud. I then went and checked my old nut from the orginal arms and there is no nylon strip and it went right on. My only issue is that I could only get one off and the other nut does not want to let go...I will try again tomorrow since I am dog tired with no energy from being sick.

I will post some steps later. All the bolts are 19mm bolts. Use a wrench on the bolt end with a ratchet on the nut and tighten.

Initial thoughts: The balljoints on the arms were not as stiff as I had thought they would be. I can move all of them with my hand with very little effort - I am not talking splapping it back and forth just some movement. My arms that I replaced moved with gravity. My happiness will be weighed on the road.

Quick Reply: Part 1: Complete suspension rebuild/replacement