Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Part 1: Complete suspension rebuild/replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-08, 10:46 AM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mteele
How many miles are on your SC?
150K miles

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
it kind of looks like you are leaking power steering fluid, are you going to have it fixed? if any of the fluid gets on the new bushings they will start to deteriorate quick
It is engine oil not power steering. I did check the lines and the canister and they looked okay and I have not been loosing fluid. The oil has made a mess down there and does not look pretty. Also, a lot of fluid got shot around with the big hole in the boot. If you have any particular spot you saw please let me know and I will investigate further...appreciate the eyes.

This car needs some TLC which is why I bought it cheap(er) than others I could have picked up but I knew I would be doing a lot of the repairs/upgrades on any one I bought.

Last edited by ICONYQ; 02-22-08 at 10:52 AM. Reason: multiquote
Old 02-22-08, 09:46 PM
Rexn30
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bet it will ride like a champ now
Old 02-23-08, 04:03 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

maybe its engine oil lol, hard to tell when its all covered lol. if you are not loosing and fluid in the P.S reservour then ur good.
Old 02-23-08, 06:32 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

Nice work! I will be replacing all my bushings soon and was thinking about dropping the rear subframe to do it. Im in the same situation as you because i dont have a lift .How bad was it? my subframe bolts are rusty so I already know this will not be fun.
Old 02-23-08, 04:21 PM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Rexn30
I bet it will ride like a champ now
yes the quick spin I took feels awhole lot better!!!

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
maybe its engine oil lol, hard to tell when its all covered lol. if you are not loosing and fluid in the P.S reservour then ur good.
Well at this point I think it is oil, powersteering, and a touch of transmission fluid lol. I am about to pull the engine and just refresh it all. The previous owner put this car through hell. When I pulled the exhaust he used exhaust sealant and caked it all on one side and barley any on the other. I sanded it all down and bought the PROPER gasket which was like $5.

I knew buying the car it needed TLC and it is getting a lot of it.

Originally Posted by sc250tt
Nice work! I will be replacing all my bushings soon and was thinking about dropping the rear subframe to do it. Im in the same situation as you because i dont have a lift .How bad was it? my subframe bolts are rusty so I already know this will not be fun.
It is not that bad. I have a compressor and all the other tools so I just lifted the car on jackstands as far up as it could. I would drop the subframe no questions asked. It will make the job simplier and quicker IMO. The hardest part was getting it all back up as one piece by myself but after doing it once I could do it again pretty quickly. Good luck and thank you for the compliments.
Old 02-23-08, 04:39 PM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

WOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! The car is back on the ground and we have done a couple of laps. I need to get it aligned before any big driving but I have the power steering issue that I have to work out first....

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=1#post3302714

well here is a couple of pics. I will post a DIY soon so that anyone that has wants to do this or is taking apart their suspension can do so with a guide. The one interesting part is that I can no longer get my jack under the car. I had to use the stock jack to get my 3 ton out from under the car. I will have to go buy a low profile jack now.

Also, after getting close and personal with the engine ( working on the front) I might be pulling the engine very soon...like maybe this week. It sounds like my rack is leaking and I have a ton of other leaks. This engine needs a good cleaning and to be refreshed.

Old 02-23-08, 05:11 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

nice car man. like the way it sits. how is the ride on those coilovers? stiff?
be sure to get a lot of pics when you deside to pull the motor.
Old 02-24-08, 11:40 AM
Carbon J
Lead Lap

Nice looking drop, big props for you doing all of the work.
Old 02-24-08, 12:49 PM
TroySC300
Lexus Test Driver

Well done! My rack is leaking too, replacing it soon :\
Old 02-24-08, 03:54 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

keep us updated on how it rides. do some sort of a long-term drivers test like road&track does
Old 02-24-08, 04:11 PM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

LOL. Will do. I want this to be comprehensive. I will say that the test will be on hold for a little because I will be pulling the rack off since it is leaking. At the same time I am going to refresh the entire block with new seals, water pump, timing, etc. I am debating to turbo it right now or to just get it back to a solid state.

If I do not do turbo I will tap the oil pan right now and lower the compression to 9.2:1 with the HG. This way I will just have to bolt on the kit and go...however I doubt I will wait

The question will be do I go with the NA pistons and a 9.2:1 compression for the spool or do I go with the TT pistons and stock TT HG.
Old 02-24-08, 04:46 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

leave the bottom end stock and get a metal head gasket. what are your performance goals for the car? any track days or just a nice, quick street car?
Old 02-25-08, 06:01 AM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
leave the bottom end stock and get a metal head gasket. what are your performance goals for the car? any track days or just a nice, quick street car?
this is what I am trying to decide. My Z was a nice quick 500whp/500trq car but after about a month I was complaining it was too slow. I am thinking the 600 mark might be okay but I know then I will have to build the auto or go 6spd. I actually have been thinking 6spd all the way but just recently began thinking of doing an auto since I am building the Z up as well.

Decisions Decisions!!!
Old 03-02-08, 02:56 AM
rekit
Driver School Candidate

Default Front LCA's

Great write-up! I am getting the 93 LCA's for my 93 soon. Question-when the front LCA's didn't seem to fit, what did you find? It looks like I'll need a spring compressor and a ball joint fork. Anything else? Is there a difference between the TT and NA arms? Thanks.
Old 04-09-20, 08:02 PM
platoribs
10th Gear

Default Rebuilding my suspension, could use your write up, please email plat0ribs@yahoo.com

Originally Posted by ICONYQ
Complete suspension rebuild. Well first let me tell you guys that I was not planning on rebuilding the suspension at all, at least not like this. The previous owner, not a CL member, should be beaten for treating a car like this…not just because it is a Lexus but because he should care about his possessions. Anyway on to the goods…

I am awaiting all the parts to arrive. I ordered them from a guy name Luis at Carson…a couple of you may know him already Let me tell you BY FAR one of the best guys I have dealt with in the car world…even before the Lex with my Z. He is awaiting gathering all the parts..and there are a lot as you will see and then he will ship them out to me. I will then begin a mad dash to put them all on the car. I will be taking as many pictures, or my wife will actually, as I go through the process and do a write-up. There is not a single suspension piece that is left untouched I believe.

List of parts.

="4"%Carson Toyota

Front
Supra TT Lower Control Arm –Left and Right
Upper Control Arm – Left and Right
Endlinks – Left and Right

Rear
Lower Control Arm – Front (Left and Right)
Lower Control Arm – Rear ( Left and Right)
Upper Control Arm – Left and Right
Strut Rod – Left and Right
Endlinks – Left and Right
Supra TT rear stabilizer bar

="4"%Speed for Sale
Megan Racing Coilovers

="4"%Parts to buy
Outer tie rods
Stabilizer bar bushing – autozone per CL post

Any other thoughts of what I should do while I am under there. I will be doing a BBK conversion later on. Right now there is no need as I have not built the engine. I will be doing the interior next and then after that I will build the engine and paint her with new lighting. At that time I will also need to get new wheels again as the ones I have are too skinny.

This is what started the build:

This is why I need to just do all the arms

Drop the rear

Also, found this when I dropped the subframe. You think it is just the hose?
i could really use these pictures and your write up for my restoration project.
please email to Plat0ribs@yahoo.com
The following users liked this post:
2Phaat (07-23-20)