Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.
View Poll Results: Decisions, decisions...
Coil overs... straight up, nothing else.
19.05%
OEM style shock with air ride.
19.05%
Coil over unit with air ride.
61.90%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Thinking of going on air

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-07, 10:14 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Thinking of going on air

Hello CL folk,

The plan was always to go for coil over suspension.

However, the more I look into it, I've been having naughty thoughts of installing air ride onto my Soarer instead, reason being...
1. Although my car is turbo, I don't really drive it hard.
2. My driveway SUCKS...
3. Possibility next year that my Soarer is going to be a weekend special

Now that I've gotten that outta the way, I've seen guys go both ways, however I'm still tossing up the idea of how I'm going to go about it. Also, mounting of the compressor and air tank are of big importance as well since I want to be able to maximise my boot space with the tank etc. installed.

The system that seems to be the go are either:
1. Air strut, i.e. using an OEM style shock absorber with a bag of sorts around the shock.
2. Go for coil overs and wedge the cup between the coil spring and the upper mount with all the necessary hardware, ala Roberuta style.

Option 1
I was thinking of getting KYB or Koni Yellow's (Supra specific) with the air bag strapped to it (not sure if the Supra upper mount is required as well, will have a look into it). Or keep the OEM strut for the mean time until I find a replacement that is compatible with my TEMS (kinda like an OEM EDFC).

Option 2
If I was to go the coil over w/cup, I was planning on getting something such as the JIC FLT-FAS or TEIN Super Street. In this case I'm not sure if the spring rate still plays a major part in the ride comfort though.

The question is, which would you guys recommend if I was to go the air ride route? I'm not looking for a fast system, I'm just looking for something to allow me to lift the car when absolutely need it (i.e. going into my driveway and up onto hoists).
Old 12-27-07, 11:26 PM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The speed is determined by line size...

Air Runner uses 1/8" lines, pretty slow...

I use 3/8" but plan to change to 1/4" in my 2nd version...

Either would be perfect for on the go adjustments to clear steep driveways and what not...

Coilover route is the way to go, comfort depends on how much air you run in your bags. Too little = bouncy, too much = super stiff...

PM me if you need more help...

Tony
Old 12-28-07, 05:42 AM
c2ispy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was in your shoes not so long ago. I wen't with the UAS / KYB setup. As for line size, you can always use dump/fill control valves.. so if you want to run it slow for daily, or fast for that weekend showoff, you can always adjust on the fly.
Old 12-30-07, 04:31 PM
BeanTWNSC3
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After having the Tein CS/UAS Bag combo for ~7months I could not be happier with this setup. I bought the entire kit from universal air, 5 gallon and all. I would change/go with some different components for optimum trunk(boot) space.

When I get around to redoing the tank/compressor setup I am going to go with a 4 gallon easy street tank to mount in the spare tire well. I will mount the compressors in the empty rear fender space as there is plenty of room to fit two compressors in each fender without the cd changer,

I am truly satisfied with the ride. Stiffness only means filling up the bags. I wont say its a great track setup but for your driving style, it should be fine. I am going turbo next, and will not regret the handling/ride with the bag setup.

I have 1/2" lines, but there is no need to go bigger than 3/8"...1/4" is perfect for our rides

Here is a pic of the first trunk setup(unfinished)

Maybe fit a set of Golf Clubs behind it, but thats it.

And the Spare Tire well with valves etc.

Will clean this up and mount the easy street 4 gal. in the spare tire well

How it sits today...

Last edited by BeanTWNSC3; 12-30-07 at 05:10 PM.
Old 12-30-07, 11:58 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

man thats sick... props.

with air suspension how is the body roll?
Old 12-31-07, 08:03 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Cheers for the info guys.

From what I've gathered so far, the only option to go for (choosing bag etc) is the one that slips over the strut type (whether coil over or standard strut), so at least that is outta the way. Say (for example) if I went for bags (just to go on struts, for now), can the bags be removed and put on coil overs? If not that's fine as well

Bean, is your stuff in the trunk bolted down?! It looks like it's just sitting on the floor.
Old 12-31-07, 09:46 AM
BeanTWNSC3
Pole Position

Originally Posted by vwynn
man thats sick... props.

with air suspension how is the body roll?
Thanks, I have Daizen Bushing throughout the entire car and front Cusco strut tower bar, my body roll is non existent when I drive around slammed, but the ride quality goes out the window.

Bean, is your stuff in the trunk bolted down?! It looks like it's just sitting on the floor.
BLK, Yes, all the valve components are bolted down into the spare tire well. That pic was test fitting, to make sure i had clearance. The piece of MDF board under the Tank and Compressors is bolted down through the carpet with two small bolts. But I did line the entire bottom of the spare tire well, and trunk with B-QUIET(http://www.b-quiet.com/?googleads) to prevent the droning of the compressors and to create a tighter fit.
Old 12-31-07, 09:51 AM
BeanTWNSC3
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BLK13X
Cheers for the info guys.
Say (for example) if I went for bags (just to go on struts, for now), can the bags be removed and put on coil overs? If not that's fine as well
Sorry forgot that question...Yes you can use the bags over a set of coilovers down the line if need be. You will NOT be able to sit as low as Mine or Tony's(ACLEANSC4) Car at all without going over to coilovers, unless some modifications are made to the KYB or stock spring perches.
Old 12-31-07, 02:27 PM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BeanTWNSC3
When I get around to redoing the tank/compressor setup I am going to go with a 4 gallon easy street tank to mount in the spare tire well.

wanna buy mine? i only used it for a couple weeks
Old 01-01-08, 11:12 AM
BeanTWNSC3
Pole Position

Originally Posted by HoeBag
wanna buy mine? i only used it for a couple weeks
PM sent...
Old 01-04-08, 01:40 AM
User1321989
Lead Lap

i am looking for a air ride set up for a 2nd gen GS300 any sellers??

pics of your completed projects anyone?
nice SC's ! i miss mine
Old 01-04-08, 08:30 AM
BeanTWNSC3
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JDMparts
i am looking for a air ride set up for a 2nd gen GS300 any sellers??
What type of setup are you looking for? Complete drop in units or a Universal Air Suspension style kit. If interested in UAS, PM me for more info...

Travis
~LEXAZ~
Old 01-10-08, 02:04 AM
menty
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the JICs, you will get a very stiff ride.
Iv got some rear JICs on and, it is quite bumpy. (fronts not on yet)

Paramatta road = bouncing around.
Old 01-10-08, 07:15 PM
twizted
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BeanTWNSC3
After having the Tein CS/UAS Bag combo for ~7months I could not be happier with this setup. I bought the entire kit from universal air, 5 gallon and all. I would change/go with some different components for optimum trunk(boot) space.

When I get around to redoing the tank/compressor setup I am going to go with a 4 gallon easy street tank to mount in the spare tire well. I will mount the compressors in the empty rear fender space as there is plenty of room to fit two compressors in each fender without the cd changer,

I am truly satisfied with the ride. Stiffness only means filling up the bags. I wont say its a great track setup but for your driving style, it should be fine. I am going turbo next, and will not regret the handling/ride with the bag setup.

I have 1/2" lines, but there is no need to go bigger than 3/8"...1/4" is perfect for our rides

Here is a pic of the first trunk setup(unfinished)

Maybe fit a set of Golf Clubs behind it, but thats it.

And the Spare Tire well with valves etc.

Will clean this up and mount the easy street 4 gal. in the spare tire well

How it sits today...

Do the sport bags go in place of the spring on the coilover? The bor down the center looks so big in pictures and did you use there bearing plates?
Old 01-10-08, 09:37 PM
BeanTWNSC3
Pole Position

Originally Posted by twizted
Do the sport bags go in place of the spring on the coilover? The bor down the center looks so big in pictures and did you use there bearing plates?
Yes the Aerosport Bags, go in place of the coil springs. I did use the plates provided by UAS to bolt the bags onto the coilover.