Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Product Review: Prothane F&R LCA kits...

Old 12-24-07, 05:45 PM
andrewdees
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Product Review: Prothane F&R LCA kits...

Hello all, I have recently installed the F&R LCA bushing kits from Prothane. Both kits were ordered on EBAY for $175 shipped to my door. Installation took a while since I didnt have a lot of time to work on the SC since I have been busy with my normal job.

As far as the kits go, both came with lots of bushings. Upon opening the boxes, I was kinda timid, thinking theres no way i'll be able to install all of these bushings. There were 8 on the front and 14 on the rear I believe. I'm a motorhome mechanic and have been working on cars for the past 4 or 5 years. Its not a job for someone who hasnt wrenched much in the past. If you have any experience with taking apart suspension components, its no problem at all.

Prothane uses 2 separate bushing halves to make 1 complete bushing. Plenty of their "super grease" was included. In the included instructions they say that the old bushings need to be cut/torched/pressed out with an arbor press. I did not have access to any sort of press. I did have access to a propane torch and a 5.5" bench vise.

The hardest part was getting the old bushings out. The front LCA bushings were the only ones that I had to torch out. The rest I used the bench vice with a smaller socket on one side and larger socket on the rear to allow the bushings to slide into. I found that heating the metal before squeezing out the old bushing made it come out a lot easier. Once the old bushings were out I used an air powered die grinder with a gasket removal attachment to clean up the metal on the inside of the sleeve. The new bushings push right in by hand as long as their lubed up well with the grease. I should have taken pictures but did not have access to a digi camera.

My overall impression with the kit is VERY HAPPY. The car isnt as quiet on the inside with the windows up as it used to be, but it still feels like a Lexus. Its smooth as silk on the highway. City driving is a little bit harsher but that could be since im on 245/45/17's. I dont know how these compare to the Daizen's, but for someone who needs theirs changed, I dont think you can beat the price. Especially if you can do your own labor.

-Drew
Old 12-24-07, 07:06 PM
CantSeeMe
Lead Lap

Thanks for the review
Did you get or have plan to get an alignment ?
If not, I'm wondering if that may help with the noise?
Old 12-24-07, 07:11 PM
andrewdees
Rookie

Yeah I got an alignment done right after I put the last bushing in. I didnt mark any of the old cam bolts so my settinngs werent even close. My buddy at the alignment shop got her all lined up straight for me. The interior noise is just a little more, easily something I can live with
Old 12-25-07, 12:49 PM
ewingli
Pole Position

hmm what was the noise coming from? im thinking of getting the same kit on ebay but sorta scared that the quality of the kit is poor.
Old 12-25-07, 03:15 PM
andrewdees
Rookie

The quality of the kit is very good. All bushings fit in perfectly. The noise I am talking about is just road noise. Its not as quiet on the inside as it was before I installed the bushings. Its not a huge difference but there is a small change. If I had to buy the kit again I would.
Old 12-26-07, 09:05 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

nice info. im getting this setup too soon.
Old 12-26-07, 05:14 PM
DJ420a
Pole Position

I just did a full set on my 240sx and I totally understand what you mean by "if you haven't wrenched long this isn't a job for you". Ive been wrenching for awhile so it was pretty easy, especially having the press and a torch.

Great review none the less. I need to get a kit as well for the front and rear and I was contemplating on this specific kit. I will definitely order this kit now.

Keep us updated on if they start to squeak from wet roads or coldness.

Old 12-26-07, 06:04 PM
andrewdees
Rookie

Well just got back from a 800 mile drive around Florida. Went from Vero all the way to Gainesville then to Ocala and down towards Tampa and back. The car feels great on the highway. Had her up to about 100 once and it felt like it was on rails. No squeaking yet.

When you install the new bushings make sure that you put plenty of grease on the outside of the bushing. The part that sits against any metal needs to be very well lubed. The grease included is very very sticky. I would advise wearing latex gloves or something like it when lubing up the new bushings.

Like I said before a press is not needed to do these things. I did every single one with a 5.5" bench vice mounted on my workbench. Just make sure you have a lot of different sized sockets. I think the biggest socket I had to use was 1 7/16". A big socket is needed to give the bushing something to slide into as it is pressed out of the arm. The 1 7/16" and a 21mm were the 2 most common used ones. On the front lower control arms you have to torch the old bushings out, making sure you leave the factory inner sleeve installed. Also make sure you have some kind of rotary tool (air powered die grinder) with some sort of soft attachment for it, because you want to clean the inside of every sleeve very good that way the new bushings press in very easily. If you need new bushings I highly recommend these.

Ive only got about 1000 miles on them but so far so good!

-Drew
Old 12-26-07, 06:09 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Well the big question is will you come back in 6 months and say "These dang bushings split on me, stupid prothane"

...and I have been looking at them so that would be something to hear about.
Old 12-26-07, 06:59 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

i dont see a reason for them to split. do you have some negative experiences with prothane kits OLT? i have used their kits on a few 240's and a project beetle converted to a dune buggy
Old 12-27-07, 10:09 PM
andrewdees
Rookie

I had the Prothane tension rod bushings on my old S14 240SX.They looked brand new when I sold it a year after installing them. I never had any sqweaking problems. The kit seems to be very well made and high quality. I dont know how the cold will affect them since it doesnt get too cold here in south florida.

-Drew
Old 12-28-07, 06:15 AM
Bob'sSC400
Rookie

this is a great thread! I was first thinking I wanted to replace both front LCA but after seeing what they cost decideded against that. From what I've read it appears that the bushing kits work fine and should stop the noise that I hear every now and then when driving. Two questions:

1. I have replaced alternators and other parts but never got into suspension and I don't have a torch. How much would it cost to have the bushings replaced on both LCA at a repair shop?

2. Also, what about installing new shocks/strutts? Easy to do? Any suggestions on brands?

Thanks.
Old 12-28-07, 07:43 AM
andrewdees
Rookie

As long as you have a good set of tools with different sized wrenches and sockets you should be fine. If you take your car to shop to have both the F&R Prothane kit done, you will most likely leave with a huge bill. There are a lot of bushings to do and if the shops charging you atleast $50 per hour, thats gonna be expensive.

Invite a friend over that has some suspension experience, and make a weekend out of it. All the different suspension components come apart and go back together the same way. Just work on 1 corner at a time and its no problem. As far as the torch, just go to wal-mart and buy a little propane torch.

If you did want to do new struts it would be a good time to replace them since the lower part of the strut has to be unbolted on the F&R. I wanted to do coilovers on mine but didnt have the money for them.

-Drew
Old 12-28-07, 08:29 AM
Bob'sSC400
Rookie

thanks. The rear was done a few years back so I need only do the front. Thanks for the advise...now if only I can bribe someone into help me...I know...FREE BEER!!!
Old 12-28-07, 12:50 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

im down for free beer.....to bad ur in texas

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Product Review: Prothane F&R LCA kits...