Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Front Sway Bar Broken!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-07, 06:05 AM
Rob Daddy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Sway Bar Broken!

Well last night i ran into my first major hiccup with my car, i was coming out of a gas station and the front sway bar snapped. I don't know what brand it is, but i do know that it is aftermarket. It is purple in color. I do know that the original owner had replaced it & the bushings are yellow. My question is: Is the factory sway bar the same diameter as the aftermarket one? I will upgrade it after the holidays but just need to get the car back on the road. Also does Daizen sell their bars individually?

Thanks
Old 12-19-07, 09:19 AM
Rob Daddy
Lead Lap

anyone know?
Old 12-19-07, 09:27 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

The bar on your car is Intrax. I'm surprised you dont know considering your sign displays it

Daizen does not sell bars individual. Only OEM and TRD sells individual bars.

The Intrax and OEM bar are not the same diameter. You can replace it with the factory sway bar if you want, but you'll need new OEM bushings. You can use the TRD bar, but it's probably stiffer, and you'll get mix-matched performance between the front and the rear.

So decide if you want more comfort or the reduction in body roll.
Old 12-19-07, 11:11 AM
Wheel Boy
Rookie

That sucks man. I would get the TRD, but Like GSteg said you will get mix-Matched performance.
Old 12-19-07, 11:31 AM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Keep in mind your suspension works together as one unit. I've noticed some of the people on here who've snapped aftermarket sways also have shocks/springs/coils that are on the softer side. If you have a very stiff sway bar and softer spring rate, you are going to be adding more stress to the sway because when turning, the springs and shocks are going to be absorbing disproportionately less energy then the sway. My take on it, is going stiff with stiff, and soft with soft.

This is sort of the same principle why airplane wings, bridges, and skyscrapers are built purposely to be able to flex to a certain calculated amount. If they were too rigid, they'd snap.

Also, you are going to change the balance of handling if you mix and match sway bars. Depending on what you do, you are going to increase either understeer or oversteer by using different front and rears.
Old 12-19-07, 02:50 PM
Rob Daddy
Lead Lap

thank you for all of the replies
I knew my signature said Intrax but that was the only brand could think of that uses purple paint.

I ordered a OEM sway bar with new OEM bushings for now just to get car safely back on road. I will replace the front & rear with TRD sway bars later on.