Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

DIY: How to relocate the wiring harness your tire had for lunch v. LOL

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-08, 11:01 AM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think he is looking for another diy with pictures.
Old 06-24-08, 11:54 AM
buchum
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by durtysc300
i thought this one was better! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Rj7R...eature=related

that rubbin looked nasty!
LMFAO! yeah I'm gonna move my wiring soon
Old 06-24-08, 04:44 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

My car ate through like 5 harness wires. I tucked it but there isnt enough slack to tuck all of it. So now Im just going to forget the headaches and unplug it and re-route it so that nothing touches the tire.

My Air Bag wire is chopped into two. I have a hunch that if I wire them back together my Air Bag light will remain on still. Also be careful with the hood release wire. I had bad experiences with that one. And its kind of a pain to replace.
Old 06-25-08, 04:09 AM
buffalosoj
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ScottURnot
You did read all this thread right?
Yeah, thanks. I was really just looking for some better pictures.
Old 06-25-08, 09:52 PM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

are these on the pre 95's only or are all SC's prone to this....cause i have a slammed 95 and i cant see where it would rub any wires....
Old 06-26-08, 09:38 AM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

im pretty sure its every sc, there are some 97 sc with this problem too i think.
Old 06-26-08, 10:34 AM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As far as I know this problem was prevalent throughout all the years of SC production

OLT- Now I understand the basis on how suspensions should be set up and what you say is true. In the case of our SC’s how would you recommend, or better yet what setup would you recommend that would allow the car to be slammed and not eat through the fender cover. I have seen tons of trail rigs use the correct calculations and products to achieve more articulation and flex in certain spots with their suspension, but I cannot see any other way to get around the fact that if you lower these cars you will rub into that liner. If one were to extend their bump stop then you will just bottom out regularly, and now have a different problem to deal with.
Old 06-26-08, 12:09 PM
mr2tosc4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lexiss_sc430
As far as I know this problem was prevalent throughout all the years of SC production

OLT- Now I understand the basis on how suspensions should be set up and what you say is true. In the case of our SC’s how would you recommend, or better yet what setup would you recommend that would allow the car to be slammed and not eat through the fender cover. I have seen tons of trail rigs use the correct calculations and products to achieve more articulation and flex in certain spots with their suspension, but I cannot see any other way to get around the fact that if you lower these cars you will rub into that liner. If one were to extend their bump stop then you will just bottom out regularly, and now have a different problem to deal with.

I have the Gixxer_Drew Bilstein-hypercoil setup and I tried to go into the lowest possible setting for a day and it did not rub at all. I would scrape the bottom of the car going over speed bumps and all but when I went in to readjust my settings the fender lining was not touched at all. The lowest setting on this setup makes you sit on the bumpstop (very stiff ride) but at least it protects you from rubbing into the fender liner. Now I have it adjusted so that I have an inch of travel and a more comfy daily rider. A bit unrelated but just an fyi.
Old 06-26-08, 12:11 PM
mr2tosc4
Lexus Test Driver

my specs btw are: et +38 18x8x40. Figured the info i posted won't be complete without this.
Old 06-28-08, 03:56 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mr2tosc4
I have the Gixxer_Drew Bilstein-hypercoil setup and I tried to go into the lowest possible setting for a day and it did not rub at all. I would scrape the bottom of the car going over speed bumps and all but when I went in to readjust my settings the fender lining was not touched at all. The lowest setting on this setup makes you sit on the bumpstop (very stiff ride) but at least it protects you from rubbing into the fender liner. Now I have it adjusted so that I have an inch of travel and a more comfy daily rider. A bit unrelated but just an fyi.
How low are you? is that a custom setup, I do not remember that type of coilover setup being available when I use to have my old SC. If you are able to slam the car and not have the rubbing issue then thats great, but my point was that when I had my SC all the options available had you slammed so low that you would rub the hell outta the fender.
Old 11-05-08, 04:13 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by benxd
My car is so low I couldn't see that the wires were chewed through until I removed the tire... It would make a few of the air suspension guys jealous (a bit of an exaggeration, but you get the point). Since relocating the harness, it hasn't rubbed once and I ran through Ortega Highway pretty friggen hard on Sunday. Kenny will vouch for me on that part.
holy crap old thread! i was still on stock suspension back then.

i think i'd rather have my ECU in the interior and my battery behind the headlights rather then battery next to the turbine and ecu behind the headlights.
Old 12-31-08, 06:59 PM
ekrebs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
So, eh.......... you know that harness unplugs on the other side of the foot well - fire wall in the kick panel, right? Rather than cut every single wire to move it, you can ...... unplug it.
Sorry to bring this thread back, but can anyone go more into detail as to where I can unplug the harness from??

Thanks
Old 01-02-09, 11:34 AM
soaringsc3
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ekrebs
Sorry to bring this thread back, but can anyone go more into detail as to where I can unplug the harness from??

Thanks
It is right in the footwell of the drivers side which is by the brake pedal right to the left of that but you may have a little problem with the boot theat protects the harness...but still the process is very simple
Old 01-02-09, 11:42 AM
ekrebs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by soaringsc3
It is right in the footwell of the drivers side which is by the brake pedal right to the left of that but you may have a little problem with the boot theat protects the harness...but still the process is very simple
Thanks!
I just finished mine and your right that boot is a PITA!! Thanks for your reply!
Old 01-05-09, 10:07 AM
soaringsc3
Pole Position

your welcome fellow sc driver

Quick Reply: DIY: How to relocate the wiring harness your tire had for lunch v. LOL