Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

TEIN HA or L-Tune?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-02, 03:28 PM
kevs
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TEIN HA or L-Tune?

I know everyone's initial reaction to this question would be to go for the TEIN HA's, BUT, here's my position:

I've heard that once you put in your coilovers, you pretty much don't really mess with them again. Does anyone here change their heights regularly?

I'm not going to be hookin' up my engine at all and don't anticipate to do so in the future, so would L-Tunes be suffice for my driving? I won't be racing. I won't have a bodykit.

The only things going on my car right away are sways, strut bars, dropping an inch or so, and rims.

Any thoughts?
Old 01-17-02, 03:44 PM
CSHFLW
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: TEIN HA or L-Tune?

Originally posted by kevs
The only things going on my car right away are sways, strut bars, dropping an inch or so, and rims.

Any thoughts?

And theres the problem....can't drop it an inch or TWO with the L-Tuned....1" Max is all you get and thats nothing if you don't have a body kit....I would want a 2" drop if I didn't have my kit.......The coilovers are for guys who want to lower there car more then 1.75" which is the max for just springs (there may be a 2" spring)...When I lowered my car 1" I was disipointed...in fact 5 minutes after it came out of the shop someone walked up and said "wow, nice lexus....when are you going to lower it?"
Old 01-17-02, 07:34 PM
RacingAristo

Kevin,

This is the 2nd TEIN HA I've owned so the quality speaks for itself. Since you don't go to track, why would you change the heights regularly? It's messy to try to change the heights (read my review on TEIN HA). You have to jack up the car, remove 4 tyres (whew~), use the wrenches to adjust (very tight and I hurted my fingers couple times), put the tyres on, put down your car. Repeat the whole process until the car is balanced and reaches to your desire height. It took me hours to adjust the height. Right now I lower my car 1.50" or 1.75". I forget.

The reason I got this coilover kit is because (1) the look. since I'm going to get a bodykit, it'd be hella ugly if I only lower 1". (2) I go to tracks so I really appreciate the adjustable stiffness and height.

We will talk about it more on AIM.
Old 01-18-02, 04:49 PM
gsintensive
Lexus Test Driver

This is my second set of L-tuned already, so quality speaks for itself as well. I previously have tried kg/mm (which is more stiff/performing than Tein HA) I just cannot stand the stiffness, the car rides like it has no shocks.

Look wised, I have 20''s the L-tuned provides just perfect height with 1.25 front and .9 in the back. i really like L-tuned, it looks perfect with great balance of comfort/performance, and it is Dealer warrenty.

I would go for L-tuned, if you want serious performance/handling, just go for TRD LCB/Sways bar/STB or Tom's 6 pieces suspension.
Old 01-18-02, 06:24 PM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

kevs,

Aside from the height adjustment, there's the stiffness adjustment. If the L-Tuned suspension is firm enough for you, stick with that. If you want something firmer w/o adjustment, try the Bilstein/Eibach combo. Others are trying the Bilstein PSS, which is height adjustable only, but less expensive than Tein HA.
Old 01-18-02, 06:42 PM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

Originally posted by RacingAristo
Kevin,

This is the 2nd TEIN HA I've owned so the quality speaks for itself. Since you don't go to track, why would you change the heights regularly? It's messy to try to change the heights (read my review on TEIN HA). You have to jack up the car, remove 4 tyres (whew~), use the wrenches to adjust (very tight and I hurted my fingers couple times), put the tyres on, put down your car. Repeat the whole process until the car is balanced and reaches to your desire height. It took me hours to adjust the height. Right now I lower my car 1.50" or 1.75". I forget.

For those looking, RA's Tein HA review is in the articles section of main CL.

Also RA, removing the wheels are not necessarily required. I have adjusted the height on my rears without removal in my garage.
Old 01-18-02, 08:57 PM
RacingAristo

Wei,

I thought you use coilovers before.

Q,

No? Um.... I have big arms and fat fingers.
Old 01-21-02, 08:12 AM
dru
Driver

RacingAristo,

I'm curious why you're on your second set of Tein HA's?
Old 01-21-02, 09:53 AM
RacingAristo

Andrew,

One TEIN HA on one GS. We used to have two GS so go figure.
Old 02-02-02, 04:13 PM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well here are some pics of the L-tuned there before and after pic the car has 18" rims on it so it will give an idea of what it looks like, the tires are 245/45/18 dunlop sp9000's

before:
Attached Thumbnails TEIN HA or L-Tune?-__hr_my-baby.jpg  
Old 02-02-02, 04:14 PM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

and after :
Attached Thumbnails TEIN HA or L-Tune?-my-pictures0002.jpg  
Old 02-04-02, 03:21 PM
SandRock
Lead Lap

biggie27 ,

How do you like that Borla exhaust...is it loud quiet or what. How much of a drop is that? How does it compare to stock?
Old 02-04-02, 03:31 PM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

the borla's sound great there not loud at all unless you give it full throttle, even then there not that loud. As for the drop its the L-tuned suspension if Im not mistaken its 1.25" up front and 1" in the rear and the ride is a little harsher than stock but not really that noticable, but the car corners flatter than before ( not alot of body roll ) especialy if you ad strut bars to it
Old 02-05-02, 03:14 PM
SandRock
Lead Lap

biggie27 ,

How did your hp change after the SRT and the Borla did you get them one at a time or at the same time? That L-tuned drop looks almost perfect for 18"s.Check out this thread and let me know what you think.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=34737

Last edited by SandRock; 02-05-02 at 03:17 PM.
Old 02-08-02, 11:19 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what is the best deal on L-tuned shocks? and do you have to get both shocks and springs?? what's the difference? I only want looks, but I don't wanna damage my car in any way by getting one thing and not the other? do I have to have both??

thanks for answering

Quick Reply: TEIN HA or L-Tune?