Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

$400 for a power steering repair??? no.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-07, 07:41 AM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $400 for a power steering repair??? no.....

The other day my PS pump was making a loud whining noise as i left form work. I pop the hood, chech PS fluid, it was low so i topped it off. I figured there was a leak somewhere in the system, so i turned the wheel back and forth until i got to full lock where a geyser of PS fluid shot out form under the hood. Good news is it appears to be just the return hose to the PS has a small leak from one of the connections. Then i called the local Lexus dealer and say it would be $400 for parts (wtf...) they said they needed to replace a bunch of sensors, but it really sounded like they wanted to sell me a new rack. Is there a simple solution around this problem at all? Can i just replace the hose on my own? Thanks..
Old 11-06-07, 09:51 PM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

EDIT,

Depends on what you call simple. Sounds like you have a leak in the high pressure side of the return and those fitting are not something you can work with. I know this because I recently dealt with both over a few weeks. You described your leak as a "geyser" and it would take pressure to set that off.

I had a high pressure hose fitting to the power steering rack burst. The part alone was $330 at Lexus locally and $285 @ Carson Toyota. I removed the entire assembly (two ~22mm bolt on two banjo fittings together with a few support brackets) and took it to an industrial hydraulic hose supply/commercial repair shop and they fixed and replaced the fitting and hose for $38 with radically better quality steel reinforced hydraulic hose rated at something like 5,000 psi.

I did not have any real difficulty removing and reinstalling this. I have only what I'd call just above average ability to work on stuff.

Last edited by SCoupe; 11-07-07 at 09:41 PM.
Old 11-08-07, 08:42 AM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

is there a site where i can order the hose? this sounds like a much better solution...
Old 11-08-07, 10:18 AM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

No, absolutely not something you can order. The shop uses a massive machine to crimp on a 3/4" metal compression style fitting, this is all custom work.

Brought them the complete hydraulic supply line that extends from the p.s. pump to the power steering rack. It comes off as one unit. There are several rubber to metal crimped on metal couplings to provide the fexibility needed to handle suspension travel. Thats were my failure was. Toyota Lexus sell only the entire assembly as one piece.

I physically removed the entire setup and drove it to a commercial hydraulic hose and fitting repair shop and they did a while you wait repair for $38. Understand this is commercial repair shop that I located 45miles from my house in San Jose. They had the metric fitting necessary to make the repair.

Find yourself a New Jersey equivalent. Try this: http://www.thomasnet.com/products/hy...6140611-1.html

Call some of the places and ask if they offer while you wait hydraulic hose fitting repair. To give you an idea of what a shop and services might look like, here's where I went: http://www.rbisj.com/

Here is a pix of some of the P.S. couplings seen in the lower left side near the "last edited by..." note:

Last edited by SCoupe; 11-10-07 at 05:56 PM.
Old 11-08-07, 11:15 PM
Sc dRifta
*****Do not buy from this member until further notice *****

lies you can repair the dont be buying no $400 powersteering line where do you live at man. we are all race car drivers here in cali and custom work is where its at. i got my ps line repaired for a case of TECATE. all they do is cut the ends then weld on a clamp fittin and add a rubber hydrolic line to it and bam you got a new line. hell ask em to put a stainless steel line in there. 2 birds with 1 stone bling factor and new ps line lol. here are my homies.

http://www.hose-man.com/sys-tmpl/door/

bring your nice lexus they'll know who sent ya!!!!
Old 11-08-07, 11:17 PM
Sc dRifta
*****Do not buy from this member until further notice *****

im pretty sure you can send em some core ends and they will send you back a new line via mail. i just had him put in 3 feet of line