Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

L-Tuned Shocks & Springs

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-02, 04:31 AM
Mr GS400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question L-Tuned Shocks & Springs

I'm planning to install L-Tuned shocks and springs this weekend. Anyone know of a DIY Step-by-Step procedure and/or hints/tips to ensure a smooth change-over.

Shock/Spring installation is typically a fairly straightforward procedure but any help would be appreciated. I suspect the only 'special tool' needed is a spring compressor; is there anything else I need on hand?

I've seen a number of old postings regarding using the 'stock' shock bumpers (rubber bushings) to avoid any chance of bottom out noise. Is this the preferred practice?

I only want to do this once, hence the call for information.

Thanks in advance to any member offering advice.
Old 01-16-02, 07:14 AM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Let me start by saying that I've never done this on a GS, but have on other cars, and I'd imagine that it is very similar. I would also have a torque wrench on hand. Air tools are a real time saver especially where the spring compressor is involved. Several folks have commented on creaks & groans after installing L-Tuned and other brands, primarily when sharp slow turns are made and over some transitions. In the past, to avoid this I have purchased some thin rubber or flexible plastic sheeting material, and made some doughnut shaped pieces to isolate the coil spring from the shock/strut mount, and it has worked very well. Others have also recommended buying some clear tubing to wrap the first top and bottom coil with. This should work also, but depends upon the end of the coils not being welded to the next coil which some are. Hope this helps.
Old 01-21-02, 07:33 PM
BkInBlk
Rookie

Default L-tuned

If you haven't already installed your L-tuned equipment, I would take it over to Todd at TM Enginering in Carson. I just picked up my L-tuned shocks, springs and TRD sway bars from Steve at Carson Toyota Saturday morning. Steve recommened TM as the place to go, so I took it to Todd. Even with all of the tools, including a lift, this was still a four hour job, and I was able to watch the whole process. It was a couple of hundred dollars well spent.

It is not just a matter of taking off the shocks and springs and replacing them. There is a fair amount of other items that must be disassembled to do it properly.

Todd is incredibly meticulous and double and triple checks everything. End result - no squeaks or rattles, as some people have mentioned with the L-tuned. Todd feels that the squeaks and rattles come from installers that are not as careful as they should be in putting all of the parts together. (He also has a little secret when he installs them that he asked me not to share-sorry.)

PM me if you want any additional info.

Good luck!
Old 01-21-02, 08:49 PM
Mr GS400
Pole Position

Talking

Installed my L-Tuned Shocks/Springs (from Steve @ Carson Toyota) this past Saturday. We (my son & I) very methodically went through the removal, assembly and installation.

As all of you must know the real tough part (and I mean tough) is removing the springs w/ a 'manual' spring compressor. We had to compress 8 springs (4 old and 4 new). I think the pros use a hydraulic compressor that certainly would cut the time by half and reduce the physical energy. We had to remove the rear calipers (no big deal) and torsion bar linkage to allow removal of the shock/spring assembly. One of us simply stood on the rotor to push the swing arm down far enough to slide the shock/spring assembly out. The fronts didn't require caliper removal but we did have to remove the lower bracket that the shock mounts on in order to allow clearance for removal/replacement.

It took us about 8 hours (mainly due to our precision and spring compression time) to get the job done. We used the stock bumpers (black) on the rears as suggested by many members to avoid any bottoming out 'thuds'.

I'll cut to the chase: No noise, squeaks, groans or any negative obervation compared to what I've seen posted on this board. The car tracks perfect and handles 100% better than the stock set up. It should be a Lexus factory option. How can you claim a 300 hp performance ride if you can't use that power in any mode other than a straight line. I haven't had much chance to exploit the handling yet but I can tell it's a lot more fun entering/exiting a circular freeway ramp.

To be honest I would have forked out a couple hundred to get the job done but I'm the kind of guy that gets satisfaction DIY.

I plan to get the alignment checked out this week but I'll be surprised if anything has really changed. The L-Tuned setup is not a radical deviation from stock components.

ps. Thanks to Miguel for the torque values.
Old 01-22-02, 06:57 AM
BkInBlk
Rookie

Default L-tuned install

Mr GS400

I would agree after watching the install that the compression of the springs would be a lot of work if you don't have an air compressor. Glad it all worked out OK. It sounds like you are as happy as I am with the set-up.

I am also going to get an alignment, but Todd at TM recommending waiting about 3 weeks as he said the springs may settle in and compress an additional 1/4 in, or so, over that time.
Old 01-22-02, 09:41 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: L-tuned

Originally posted by BkInBlk
He also has a little secret when he installs them that he asked me not to share-sorry.
That is the wrong kind of attitude to have in this public forum. We usually like to share information here.
Old 01-22-02, 10:47 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally posted by Mr GS400
Installed my L-Tuned Shocks/Springs (from Steve @ Carson Toyota) this past Saturday. ...

The car tracks perfect and handles 100% better than the stock set up. It should be a Lexus factory option. How can you claim a 300 hp performance ride if you can't use that power in any mode other than a straight line.
Congrats! And I agree 100%! I think the stock handling is basically unsafe.
Old 08-27-02, 01:54 AM
ShowGSLuVv
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: L-tuned

Todd is incredibly meticulous and double and triple checks everything. End result - no squeaks or rattles, as some people have mentioned with the L-tuned. Todd feels that the squeaks and rattles come from installers that are not as careful as they should be in putting all of the parts together.
PM me if you want any additional info. [/B][/QUOTE](He also has a little secret when he installs them that he asked me not to share-sorry.) Good luck!

Can you share it now? LoL, I think it's better to help "us" out rather then the lexus techs

ShOwGS
Old 08-27-02, 06:53 AM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why even mention that you guys "have a secret" to start with. plus, it can't be anything all that special

but i do understand that Todd asked you not to share it, so i guess its Todd that should be getting my heat, as you're just keeping a promise.