Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Warning about Tein

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-07, 07:40 PM
SloGS400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warning about Tein

What's up everyone,

This is simply to serve as heads up to anyone intersted in purchasing Tein products.

I called Tein the other day after noticing a metal to metal clanking sound coming from my driver's side Tein Flex coilover. I was asked initially to find a copy of the receipt to prove that they were purchased within their 12 month warranty period. Well, they were purchased in December of 2006, so defnitely within 12 months, but they weren't purchased at one of their "authorized dealers." The fact they were purchased at a local speed shop apparently gives them a reason to doubt the integrity of the shop as well as their installation abilities.

The fact that the coilovers worked fine up until this point and thus the failure of them abviously wasn't caused by improper installation is being ingnored.

I was asked to drive my car to one of their "authorized dealers" to get checked out. When I got there I was told that eventhough they are an authorized dealer they have no hands on experience with Tein products and couldn't help me. So much for the knowledge of authorized dealers. I'm sure there are plenty of good and knowledgable dealers out there, but for Tein to try to get out of a warrantly claim under that premise alone is just foul.

I had my car checked out locally and it was concluded that there is play in the top portion of my coilover. Could either be caused by a faulty collar, bump stopper or C ring, total cost of those parts around 20 bucks. There is a small chance that it could be the pillowball mount itself, but that's rather unlikely according to them. I simply don't understand why a company as big as Tein would try to wiggle out of warranty claim when the parts to fix the problem are rather inexpensive.

I've decided to simply order the parts and pay for them myself, because it's just to much of a hassle. I love the coilover overall, but I'm pretty dissapointed in their handling of this situation.

I do have to say that Matt at ext. 106 is a great guy and he listened and empathized, but he unfortunately has to go along with what the higher ups decide.

In conclusion, if you are thinking about ordering any Tein products, get them from an authorized dealer and ideally have them installed there as well as you may put yourself in a bad situation later on.
Old 10-10-07, 09:05 PM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SloGS400
What's up everyone,

This is simply to serve as heads up to anyone intersted in purchasing Tein products.

I called Tein the other day after noticing a metal to metal clanking sound coming from my driver's side Tein Flex coilover. I was asked initially to find a copy of the receipt to prove that they were purchased within their 12 month warranty period. Well, they were purchased in December of 2006, so defnitely within 12 months, but they weren't purchased at one of their "authorized dealers." The fact they were purchased at a local speed shop apparently gives them a reason to doubt the integrity of the shop as well as their installation abilities.

The fact that the coilovers worked fine up until this point and thus the failure of them abviously wasn't caused by improper installation is being ingnored.

I was asked to drive my car to one of their "authorized dealers" to get checked out. When I got there I was told that eventhough they are an authorized dealer they have no hands on experience with Tein products and couldn't help me. So much for the knowledge of authorized dealers. I'm sure there are plenty of good and knowledgable dealers out there, but for Tein to try to get out of a warrantly claim under that premise alone is just foul.

I had my car checked out locally and it was concluded that there is play in the top portion of my coilover. Could either be caused by a faulty collar, bump stopper or C ring, total cost of those parts around 20 bucks. There is a small chance that it could be the pillowball mount itself, but that's rather unlikely according to them. I simply don't understand why a company as big as Tein would try to wiggle out of warranty claim when the parts to fix the problem are rather inexpensive.

I've decided to simply order the parts and pay for them myself, because it's just to much of a hassle. I love the coilover overall, but I'm pretty dissapointed in their handling of this situation.

I do have to say that Matt at ext. 106 is a great guy and he listened and empathized, but he unfortunately has to go along with what the higher ups decide.

In conclusion, if you are thinking about ordering any Tein products, get them from an authorized dealer and ideally have them installed there as well as you may put yourself in a bad situation later on.

Sorry to hear that bro. I can cetainly feel your pain.
Old 10-10-07, 10:03 PM
Kuroikaze
Pole Position

The slight savings you get up front for grey market items don't really pan out in the end. Definitely always purchase from an authorized dealer.
Old 10-11-07, 10:01 AM
uplusd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kuroikaze
The slight savings you get up front for grey market items don't really pan out in the end. Definitely always purchase from an authorized dealer.
Old 10-11-07, 01:06 PM
SloGS400
Pole Position

Autorized dealer or not, the product failed within their supposed 12 month warranty period. Trying to get out of providing replacement parts on a rather insignificant technicality simply isn't good customer service. I have been happy with my Tein's up until this point, but that type of approach to a customer complaint simply is reason enough for me to look elsewhere for future upgrades.

In regards to slight savings, it's not even necessarily about that. I happen to have several great custom shops in the area and just because they aren't authorized dealers doesn't mean that they are any less competent in ringing up a purchase or installing any given product.
Old 10-11-07, 03:12 PM
Kuroikaze
Pole Position

Autorized dealer or not, the product failed within their supposed 12 month warranty period. Trying to get out of providing replacement parts on a rather insignificant technicality simply isn't good customer service. I have been happy with my Tein's up until this point, but that type of approach to a customer complaint simply is reason enough for me to look elsewhere for future upgrades.

In regards to slight savings, it's not even necessarily about that. I happen to have several great custom shops in the area and just because they aren't authorized dealers doesn't mean that they are any less competent in ringing up a purchase or installing any given product.
I'm not discrediting nor implying that the shop you purchased from is incompetent. The problem with warranty is this. Japanese companies are tired of the grey market over here. Flooding North America with cheap JDM parts avoiding customs and duties they have to pay by lying to customs which is why they just say no warranty. In other words, if you do not buy it through an approved dealer then you take your chances.
Old 10-11-07, 04:47 PM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

"authorized" only means that the shop ordered X amount of products from them in order to carry the brand. it doesnt not mean that they are "qualified" installers.
Old 10-11-07, 04:51 PM
SloGS400
Pole Position

Read below, messed up on my reply.
Old 10-11-07, 04:52 PM
SloGS400
Pole Position

I'm not discrediting nor implying that the shop you purchased from is incompetent. The problem with warranty is this. Japanese companies are tired of the grey market over here. Flooding North America with cheap JDM parts avoiding customs and duties they have to pay by lying to customs which is why they just say no warranty. In other words, if you do not buy it through an approved dealer then you take your chances.
I see your point, but it still doesn't justify the lack of customer service. If you called Nike today and told them that you have a pair of their shoes that were genly used and not abused and they just lost the cushioning in one shoe for whatever reason, there is a very good chance that they'll be sending you a new pair of shoes. They'll do so regardless of where you purchased their shoe, it's their shoe, their workmanship, their name, and their promise of quality.

It should be rather easy for Tein to identify their product and see that it hasn't been subjected to any abuse or improper installation. Regardless of how their product may have gotten into the US, it's still their product and they should stand behind it, especially since it involves rather inexpensive parts that can wear out even with authorized dealer install.

As I said before, I'm going to spend the couple of bucks to get the parts that I need to fix the issue I'm having, but I'm simply in awe of their lack of customer service.
Old 10-11-07, 05:54 PM
Kuroikaze
Pole Position

I see your point, but it still doesn't justify the lack of customer service. If you called Nike today and told them that you have a pair of their shoes that were genly used and not abused and they just lost the cushioning in one shoe for whatever reason, there is a very good chance that they'll be sending you a new pair of shoes. They'll do so regardless of where you purchased their shoe, it's their shoe, their workmanship, their name, and their promise of quality.

It should be rather easy for Tein to identify their product and see that it hasn't been subjected to any abuse or improper installation. Regardless of how their product may have gotten into the US, it's still their product and they should stand behind it, especially since it involves rather inexpensive parts that can wear out even with authorized dealer install.

As I said before, I'm going to spend the couple of bucks to get the parts that I need to fix the issue I'm having, but I'm simply in awe of their lack of customer service.

I feel your pain, man. I'm a consumer myself and would be pissed as well. Seems like a technicality but I was oblivious to this until it was pointed out on other forums. I hope you get it fixed and get back on the road again.
Old 10-11-07, 06:12 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you called Nike today and told them that you have a pair of their shoes that were genly used and not abused and they just lost the cushioning in one shoe for whatever reason, there is a very good chance that they'll be sending you a new pair of shoes. They'll do so regardless of where you purchased their shoe, it's their shoe, their workmanship, their name, and their promise of quality.
sorry, but not true. The US is flooded with knock off products, that's the reason why companies only authorize some shops, stores, ect... to sell their product. I feel your pain and they should fix your damaged coilover, but life is not always fair

Last edited by GS FONZy; 10-12-07 at 02:56 PM.
Old 10-11-07, 06:16 PM
SloGS400
Pole Position

I feel your pain, man. I'm a consumer myself and would be pissed as well. Seems like a technicality but I was oblivious to this until it was pointed out on other forums. I hope you get it fixed and get back on the road again.
Thanks, man.
Old 10-11-07, 06:19 PM
SloGS400
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GS FONZy
sorry, but not true. The US is fluded with knock off products, that's the reason why companies only authorize some shops, stores, ect... to sell their product. I feel your pain and they should fix your damaged coilover, but life is not always fare

Trust me I know all about knock off's, I used to be a big time sneaker head and can recognize fakes from a distance. As long as you have an authentic Nike product I'm quite sure that they would hook you up.