Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Warning To All 2nd Gen Gs Owners

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-07, 05:02 PM
kevin.tran
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cpone: How many miles do you have on your GS?

I have 118k on my GS right now

edro925: Sounds like its time for me to change my ball join. I just bought the car about 2 months ago and it is making crackling loud noise on the right front end. I wasn't sure what it was but now I should check the ball joint. Does anyone know if its a good idea to change both left and right? Or just the one that is needed to be replaced?

It's always a good Idea to replace both at once; If one is going bad the other one will be soon.

Micdizo: Yeah luckly mine went out backing out of the parking space at work. But I still messed up the fender getting in on and off the tow truck. It sir was a pain to get the old ball joint off though. But my gs has real high miles.

Yea my fender is still messed up from it landing on the tire...My bumper got pulled out a little bit when they towed my car, so I have to get the bolt to rebolt it back on. It sucks...

kaaalvy: oh geeez ive got the creekings...how much does this cost to replace? and where do you think i can get it done at

I think the lower ball joints are around 60 bucks for one from autozone and places like that. As for getting it replaced, any repair shop should be able to do it or if you want to do it yourself there is a DIY write up on it somewhere on here if I find it i'll post. If you plan on replacing it yourself or having someone else do it watch out for you ABS sensor it is easy to pull on it/ rip the wiring inside of it. If that happens there is a DIY on here how to fix it.
The following users liked this post:
bullhog (12-31-16)
Old 10-07-07, 05:25 PM
Kuroikaze
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I changed mine not too long ago. Go ahead and get the ball joints and outer tie rods from sewell lexus whom is a vendor here. Get it all replaced at one time. I'm sorry to see your misfortune man. I hope you get the car back on the road soon. Glad you didn't get hurt.
Old 10-07-07, 05:55 PM
DHRP
Lead Lap

Dang that sux man. After reading all the stories I ordered the ball joints and tie rod ends from Sewell. Took about an hour and a half to do them in my garage. Looks like this is starting to happen more often with our cars getting older.
Old 10-07-07, 06:31 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those pics seriously disturbs me man even though I've read a lot posts about this issue. Even more so, I've been hearing noises from my front end mainly when I'm pulling out the driveway after the car sat overnight. My noise is not squeaking but more of a couple of knocks and I won't hear it again unless I turn the steering wheel really far like if I'm coming out of a parking space.
Old 10-07-07, 06:45 PM
milky
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

where is the best place to buy ball joints at?
Old 10-07-07, 06:48 PM
DJ TANTRA
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by edro925
Sounds like its time for me to change my ball join. I just bought the car about 2 months ago and it is making crackling loud noise on the right front end. I wasn't sure what it was but now I should check the ball joint. Does anyone know if its a good idea to change both left and right? Or just the one that is needed to be replaced?
tou should change both!

you can get both for about 140.

you might want to go ahead and change ur tie rod ends too! ull notice a huge difference!!
Old 10-07-07, 07:36 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by milky
where is the best place to buy ball joints at?
Sewell Lexus using coupon code CL911M for 10% off.

I dont know any aftermarket company that makes balljoints for our cars. Besides the Balljoint is a critical part of our suspension (obviously). I would not trust an aftermarket company.
Old 10-07-07, 07:42 PM
LexFather

Is there a TSB for this? Is Lexus aware of this issue?
Old 10-07-07, 09:24 PM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

I do not recall a grease fitting on the factory ball joint.
The noises are most likely coming from a dry ball joint due to a cut, torn or rotten boot.
I have seen this conditions on IS models as well.
Old 10-07-07, 09:24 PM
BlackoutGS
Lead Lap

bummer man. thanks for the warning. i can hear mine creek every once in a while when i turn slowly. it looks like i will be doing a little DIY next weekend. thanks again for the heads up
Old 10-07-07, 09:28 PM
kevin.tran
Lead Lap

I doubt lexus is aware of the issue, even if they were, they're just going to say it's a wear-and-tear item so that wouldn't be covered under warranty for anyone who still has factory or extended warranties on their cars, and even if our warranty do cover it there are those of us who had lowered and added 18+ inch rims on our cars and they'll just say that by lowering and adding rims it puts added stress on the factory ball joint and it wasn't designed to take all that stress... but we can always try if we can get enough people who have, had this problem and bring it to their attention, also with the whole headlight condenstation problems. I had other cars before this and it was lowered all the way down and never ran into a problem. What do you guys think?
Old 10-07-07, 11:21 PM
VipDout
19x11.5 -51

Ouch ! sorry to see this !
Old 10-08-07, 01:01 AM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

HAPPENED TO ME TOO!

I also made a thread about this warning people. PLEASE go out and fix this every1! Just get it replaced even if you dont hear anything!

98 GS400 @ 90k miles
Old 10-08-07, 01:03 AM
kevin.tran
Lead Lap

MrG4Life, I would check your lower ball joints for any play. Just like another member said, if you haven't changed it or don't know rather spend a 160 something to go ahead and replace it than like me to pay a lot more to fix it later in the long run. I still need to fix my bumper and right fender
Old 10-08-07, 01:18 AM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

when is a good time to get them replaced or should they just be checked periodically? i am closing in on 50k miles

Quick Reply: Warning To All 2nd Gen Gs Owners