Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Warning To All 2nd Gen Gs Owners

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-07, 05:50 PM
Methodical
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So ball joints are not covered under warranty? My GS has 44k miles and I'm already starting to hear a creaking sound whenever I pull in and out of driveways or I take a turn.
Old 10-08-07, 05:59 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Sorry to see this. I think we can gather some more info on folks impacted (I've read of only five or six here on CL I think since 2001), but honestly I think its not going to get a lot of attention from Lexus Corporate for a couple of reasons (I just noticed others have posted the same in this thread).

1) Its a normal wear item that needs service and replacement much like tires or brakes. If you dont' take care of your car (and know the symptoms described in this thread) it can cause problems.

2) I have to believe aftermarket suspension and plus sized wheels can significantly accellerate stress and wear on this item. This is probably one of the 'valid' cases for a dealership to say "your modification caused this problem".

3) Not to minimize the concern at all - this is a serious concern - for all the discussion I do not believe an actual failure has happened to a lot of people

The plus side for getting attention - if it goes there can be substantial damage or injury.

If you've had this problem (an actual failure, not 'creaking'... if you have that go get it fixed), please post a picture here in this thread of the issue and the circumstance including your mileage and suspension / wheel modifications. We'll take stock in a week or two how many we have and I'll try to search through the archives as I have time this week.
Old 10-08-07, 06:07 PM
Sceptre
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kevin.tran
Scepetic: you have to take the wheels off so that ramp wouldn't work. Another great tool to have for this DIY is a pitman's puller. There is a DIY on this site somewhere that list all your needed tools and step by step instructions with pictures. Good luck.
Thanks. i'll do a search for it.
Old 10-08-07, 06:12 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You are very lucky to walk away from that. The ball joints are truly a weak link in this car. I beleive it has a great deal to do with the suspension geometry as these cars were not designed with sport in mind. Even the non-Toyota balljoints made by Moog ( a reputable company)http://www.moog.com/Industrial/Newsl...013/story_667/, can wear out quickly on GS's as well. I know because I replaced the oem ball joints with Moog. had them on my car and there was noticeable play after just 15k of driving. I currently have the Toyota ball joints, and so far so good.
Ball joints are designed to serve as pivot between the tires and suspension, as well as to support the auto weight. Some joints are also used in wheel alignment settings. Lowering the suspension on the GS makes things worse. Negative camber and stiffening the suspension with added components will result in more stress to the ball joints as it is the weakest link in the suspension system. For an added level of safety, you guys have to check the ball joints at every service interval just to be safe. In the mean time, this is a concern to owners of these cars. You guys can complain to the NHTSA to get Lexus Corporate to issue a recall. Your safety should be their #1 priority. This should do it http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/
Old 10-08-07, 06:16 PM
kevin.tran
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Methodical, no I don't think ball joints are covered. They are a wear and tear item along with brakes and tires like davegs4 had said.

With that being said if anyone here know or heard that any CL member have had an incident where their ball joint gave out on them, like how mines did please refer them to this thread so we can take them into account and try to do something about it. Thanks
Old 10-08-07, 06:31 PM
kevin.tran
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is the DIY forum on CL for anyone whos intrested.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...wer+balljoints
Old 10-08-07, 06:38 PM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my extended warranty covers "wear and tear" items minus brakes i think... i should check if these will be covered
Old 10-08-07, 06:43 PM
BCP43002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought I read in this forum that this mainly applies to 01 and older GS's??? What was the newest year of someone who had this problem? I've seen mostly 99 and older in the posts.
Old 10-08-07, 07:09 PM
David1969
Pole Position

That pic is the reason i got mine changed. Sorry to hear that this has happened to you, but at least you'll get it repaired and you'll be back on the road. Think of it as a $900 lesson that will benefit many many others.
Old 10-08-07, 07:34 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kevin.tran
MrG4Life, I would check your lower ball joints for any play. Just like another member said, if you haven't changed it or don't know rather spend a 160 something to go ahead and replace it than like me to pay a lot more to fix it later in the long run. I still need to fix my bumper and right fender
It's like I don't want to believe that I may have an issue with my ball joints. Your pics still do make me worry somewhat

Originally Posted by Methodical
So ball joints are not covered under warranty? My GS has 44k miles and I'm already starting to hear a creaking sound whenever I pull in and out of driveways or I take a turn.
I hear a knock or a couple of them when pulling out and during sharp turns
Old 10-09-07, 01:28 PM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No brainer..replace ball joints after 90K! So glad I did...that's ugly.
Old 10-10-07, 04:32 PM
Mike-GS400
Driver School Candidate

Is an inspection of the lower ball joints a standard part of each 5,000 mile Lexus service? If so, is it just a visual inspection or something more substantial? I just had my 85K service done at a Lexus dealership and I recall seeing the inspection of the ball joints being listed on the invoice.
Old 10-10-07, 05:21 PM
rl9010
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

just had 90k service done and my gs300 had the ball joints replaced. Now I won't have to worry about it
Old 10-10-07, 05:35 PM
Neo300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BCP43002
I thought I read in this forum that this mainly applies to 01 and older GS's??? What was the newest year of someone who had this problem? I've seen mostly 99 and older in the posts.
Thats what I was going to say... this seems to be happening to the 98-00 GS's. Was this problem 'fixed' in the 01-05 GS's?

The reason I ask is my GS300 is a 01 with 35K miles. I DEFFENTLY don't want this happening to me.
Old 10-10-07, 06:22 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

the 01+ are suppose to have the 'updated' balljoints. Supposedly they are now built stronger.

Come to think of it, I do remember the new balljoints looking slightly different than the original balljoints....

Quick Reply: Warning To All 2nd Gen Gs Owners