Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Warning To All 2nd Gen Gs Owners

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-09, 12:12 PM
kevin.tran
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mk2tmr2
I guess my point is that there really isn't anything to complain about. Our lower ball joints will eventually fail if not replaced when they need it (hence the "tear" part of "wear-and-tear item"). Those that have broken are just those that were not maintained properly.

Your complaint says that your LBJ's were making creaking noises, you didn't replace them, and then one failed. So what's to complain about? If my brakes were squealing and I didn't replace the pads and then my brakes failed causing damage to my car, is that Lexus' fault? Should I write the NHTSA about it?

I'm not trying to be a jerk. But I do think this whole "It's a Lexus...this shouldn't happen." attitude 2GS owners have about their lower ball joints is a bit ridiculous. Especially if you've read the owner's manual – which tells you precisely how to care for them.

If you had a mechanic tell you that your lower ball joints with over 75k miles on them were fine and then they failed, I'd complain about the mechanic, not the car.
I understand that it's a wear and tear item and all but there was a recall for the '93-'97 GS when they should've recalled all the '93's-'02?. This is what another member wrote in a different thread regarding the recall. I'm not asking them to recall our cars and give us new one or because it's lexus it shouldn't be happening. It seems that because of this "failure of lubrication or ball joint" that this is a serious matter. Not all of us are aware of the ball joint issue but when there is a possiblity of death/serious injury when a family riding in the car down the freeway at 60+ and their ball joint gives out causing them to lose control it is serious concern. Not everyone goes to Lexus for regular checks after their warranty runs out esp. during this time due to the economy when they can go to another shop for their reg. maintance. I just want them aware of the sitiuation so if they can look into the matter.

I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything like that bro and I don't think you are

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I found this on the http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/results.cfm

I would say that since there is only one complaint there is no way that we would get any kind of recall. I think that everyone that has a bad ball joint removed needs to complain to get Toyota to do anything.

the NHTSB also shows a recall for the 97 GS ball joint due to lubrication. HMM.. Maybe this is our issue.

this is the only complaint on their website for 98.
Complaints Summary

Make: LEXUS
Model: GS

Year: 1998
Complaint Number: 10213228
Summary:
ANOTHER LEXUS GS-300 OWNER FILED THIS REPORT ON MARCH 6, 2007: "WE OWN A 1998 LEXUS, MODEL GS 300. THIS SATURDAY MY WIFE WAS DRIVING THE LEXUS AND THE ENTIRE WHEEL ASSEMBLY CAME OFF THE VEHICLE DUE THE FAILURE OF THE LOWER BALL JOINT. IN REVIEWING RECALL INFORMATION FOR LEXUS\TOYOTA, IT IS VERY APPARENT THERE IS AN ONGOING ISSUE OF QUALITY CONTROL RELATED TO THEIR LOWER BALL JOINTS. FOR OUR SPECIFIC MODEL, THERE WAS A RECALL IN 93, 94, 95, 96 AND 97 SPECIFIC TO THIS PART. GIVEN WE HAVE A 98 AND A RECALL HAS NOT BEEN ISSUED (YET), THE LEXUS DEALERSHIP REFUSED TO PROVIDE US WITH ANY ACCOMMODATION TOWARDS FIXING THE FAILED PART, OR THE RESULTING BODY DAMAGE RELATED TO THE VEHICLE TRAVELING DOWN THE ROAD ON ONLY THREE WHEEL. FORTUNATELY, WE WERE NOT TRAVELING ON THE HIGHWAY, BUT A SIDE STREET WHEN THIS INCIDENT OCCURRED. BUT MOREOVER, REGARDLESS OF OUR FINANCIAL LOSS, IN MY OPINION, THIS IS A PUBLIC SAFETY CONCERN..." WE EXPERIENCED A SIMILAR FAILURE WHEREIN THE LOWER DRIVER'S SIDE BALL JOINT FAILED WHILE BACKING OUT OF OUR DRIVEWAY. PRIOR TO THIS EVENT THE WHOLE FRONT SUSPENSION HAS BEEN MAKING A "CREAKING" NOISE DURING SLOW DRIVING WHILE TURNING. *TR

BP

Last edited by kevin.tran; 02-05-09 at 12:16 PM.
Old 02-05-09, 12:27 PM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well...I always say "It never hurts to ask." I suppose there is no harm in bringing it to the attention to the NHTSA in an attempt to get some free new ball joints I'm going to be needing them soon so hopefully they'll put a rush on it!
Old 03-28-09, 10:46 PM
ek9max
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKoosh
so... just to clarify, there's not a single 01+ 430 that's got this problem right? everyone in this thread that's reported problems has had a 98-00. never heard anything side-to-side or at full steering lock like some people have suggested.

I'd like to know this too.

I bought a 2001 gs430 last week. Rides super smooth with no noises..... but now i'm paranoid.
Old 04-10-09, 08:38 AM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my friend has a 01 gs430 @ 150k miles and has never changed the ball joints. i checked it a few months back and it seems fine. i changed my '01 @ 105k just to be on the safe side. remember most of you bought your car pre-owned and you don't know what the car's been through in terms of driving style.

the '01 joints are a lot stronger, and all the new joints you buy from the dealer is the 01+ joint.
Old 04-30-09, 10:52 AM
1conbaba
Rookie

Holy cr^p! Kevin you are ok! oh ******! my 200 gs just turn 100K and all kind of noises. brakepump, pumps very 4-5 pedal steps, exhaust leaks, winshield cracked, oilpan leaks, wife hit the garage banked up left side bumber, been through theft recovery, but the car is a demon, still pulled strong, all electronics works, that why i still love driving it. can't say i'm ready for that, thanks Kevin, if any car need new balljoints, it is mine. Glad you're came out of it!
Old 07-25-09, 01:23 PM
tonysgs300
Lead Lap

my front end makes a poping noise? do you guys think that could be a ball joint? its mainly when i come to a stop and turn the wheel a little? or could the poping be a warped rotor?
Old 07-25-09, 01:28 PM
Lexizm
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I heard that same poping noise too Tony and I changed mine on the 430. Now I don't hear that sound anymore. Same thing with the black GS3.
Old 07-30-09, 03:32 PM
BobbyBlaze
Driver School Candidate

Question:

My car shakes as I am going 60+ in it. When I turn I hear the pop/thump you guys are talking about. My mechanic said I need to replace my lower control arms and my caster arm on the passenger's side. Should I ignore his advice and just get the ball-joints? Or should I replace everything and send my debt into a bigger hole?

Thanks
Old 07-31-09, 03:04 PM
Emil
Pole Position

start with ball joint's i say as chance's are they shoud be replaced by now anyway..
while your at it,maybe get the daizen control arm bushing kit to fit aswell,although it's on back order
Old 08-05-09, 01:02 AM
ekivtec
Rookie

mine just started making noise today...changing them out this weekend
Old 08-07-09, 01:20 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

For those of you who have replaced your ball joints, has anyone had to replace them for a second time? 99 GS4 with 136,000 miles. I replaced the ball joints at 80,000 (as well as the stock shocks all around), so it's been 56,000 miles. It's hard to explain, but my front end feels and sounds loose. When I drive slowly over uneven pavement, I hear this soft, hollow clunking noise. Could the ball joints need replacing again?

e
Old 08-10-09, 01:58 PM
BobbyBlaze
Driver School Candidate

It might be your Caster Arm bushings.
Old 08-10-09, 03:47 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyBlaze
It might be your Caster Arm bushings.
How much are those to replace? I assume they're at the bottom of the suspension. It definitely feels loose at the bottom.
Old 08-10-09, 05:59 PM
tonysgs300
Lead Lap

Hey Lexizm thanks. I thought it may be the ball joints but not sure? Does anyone know where you get replacement ball joints? and are they a DIY or do you have to have some special tool? Now Im kinda freaked to drive my baby for the sake of hurting my son and wife?
Old 08-11-09, 06:04 AM
esolo98
Advanced

if you look in the stickys there is a DIY for lower balljoints

Quick Reply: Warning To All 2nd Gen Gs Owners