Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

BRAke PAds

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-07, 10:48 AM
DUBLEX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BRAke PAds

I have A 2001 GS 430and it needs brakes i've grinded the rotors and pads down to the metal. I'm about to get oem lexus rotors . I was wondering if the EBC redstuff pads were any good I'm really really hard on them
Old 09-02-07, 11:10 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I've heard EBC pads can be pretty brutal to rotors. I haven't used them myself, but that's what the general thought on them.

If you want some bite, you may try to look into some Axxis Ultimate pads or Hawks HPS.

I have Akebono Premium myself, but I dont drive as hard.
Old 09-02-07, 06:45 PM
DUBLEX
Driver School Candidate

it has the stock rotors and pads I was thinking about OEM rotors and the EBC either green or red stuff. What do you think
Old 09-03-07, 02:19 PM
DUBLEX
Driver School Candidate

Default redstuff

THE gs has stck rotord n pads. I am going to do oem rotors but I dont know what pads Either the greenstuff or the red. I am really hard on them.
Old 09-04-07, 09:36 AM
JLAM
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Axxis metal masters and i like them. I tried Axxis ultimates but hated them. I also had Hawk HPS on my other cars with good experience. I never tried EBC though...
Old 09-04-07, 03:32 PM
DUBLEX
Driver School Candidate

Default rstuff

Whats good with oem rotors an red stuff brake pads. I am really hard on theman I cant decide if I should go green or red SOme help please
Old 09-04-07, 04:27 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Can't say about the redstuff but I have used the green EBC pads and I was not that impressed from much any angle, dust, braking power, or noise. I would look elsewhere or use stock or the Akebono's which are a bit better. Try and distinguish what it is you want/need, more stopping power or longer lasting, the two can be different. If you are looking for more stopping power you really need to upgrade almost everything; rotors, calipers, and pads. If you are looking for longer wearing, the pads are inevitable a bit harder, take longer to get heat into them to get reasonable stopping power, and are harder on the rotors. With the stock rotors, I wouldn't expect just the pad alone to make a huge difference in either stopping power or life. I have gotten very good service out of the OEM pads and the Akebono, easily over 40K miles so if you are well under that and not autocrossing or spending a lot of time in the mountains riding the brakes coming down, you might to make sure you don't have some other problem or are a two foot driver who is resting his foot on the brake pedal - not good for wear.
Old 09-04-07, 10:11 PM
Scott1258
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JLAM
I have Axxis metal masters and i like them. I tried Axxis ultimates but hated them. I also had Hawk HPS on my other cars with good experience. I never tried EBC though...
Hey JLAM,

What is it that you like about the metal masters? And what was it that you didn't like about the ultimates?

I'm thinking of both and would like to hear your opinions of each. Thanks!

Scott
Old 09-05-07, 05:34 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

FYI, I drive hard and had Axxis M/M on my oem sized Brembo rotors...they literally ate the crap out of my rotors after 2 years! They stopped pretty good but noticed a good amount of break fade when slowing from high speeds (90+) and from time to time I would hear a slight scraping/squeeking noise since the metal masters are semi-metallics. I currently have Akebono ProAct ultra ceramics on new oem sized Brembo rotors and I absolutely love them! I still drive hard and they stop firmly without any indication of fade or noise ( I had a problem w/noise in the beginning but that was the shops install error). Also, my wheels show no or little break dust residue after several days of driving. Just my $0.02. Hope this helps...GL!
Old 09-05-07, 08:11 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
FYI, I drive hard and had Axxis M/M on my oem sized Brembo rotors...they literally ate the crap out of my rotors after 2 years! They stopped pretty good but noticed a good amount of break fade when slowing from high speeds (90+) and from time to time I would hear a slight scraping/squeeking noise since the metal masters are semi-metallics. I currently have Akebono ProAct ultra ceramics on new oem sized Brembo rotors and I absolutely love them! I still drive hard and they stop firmly without any indication of fade or noise ( I had a problem w/noise in the beginning but that was the shops install error). Also, my wheels show no or little break dust residue after several days of driving. Just my $0.02. Hope this helps...GL!
Great pads those Akebonos
Old 09-05-07, 08:34 AM
Scott1258
Lead Lap

I too have the akebonos - just looking for a little more stopping power. They are good pads.

Anyone have experience with the endless pads? If so which ones they have several models.
Old 09-05-07, 09:23 AM
JLAM
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scott1258
Hey JLAM,

What is it that you like about the metal masters? And what was it that you didn't like about the ultimates?

I'm thinking of both and would like to hear your opinions of each. Thanks!

Scott
I had Axxis MM w/ brembo xdrilled/slotted rotors on my old GS300 for about a year before I sold it and they were great. They have good stopping power with good pedal feel and not too much dust. They do have more dust than OEM but not terrible. I sold it about a year ago and the new owner is still using the same setup with no complaints.

I tried the Axxis ultimates on my GS400 and ditched them for the Axxis MM & brembo drilled/slotted rotor combo again with good results. The ultimates had LOTS of dust and ate up rotors. They were also hard to modulate the pedal...meaning the brakes were pretty much on and off. If you step on pedal slightly, the braking was not that great but if you get on it...they stop on a dime! Not good for daily street driving in my opinion. (good for track/race).
Old 09-07-07, 05:30 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Great pads those Akebonos
I know, you were the main guy that influenced my decision! Thanks! Also with using the Amsoil ATF and Royal Purple for the diff... See I listen I don't know what the hell my girl is always talking about . LOL!!!