Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Quest For Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-02, 01:21 PM
888GS430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quest For Coilovers

THE BEST & PROSPEROUS '02 TO EVERYBODY!!!!! JUST WANTED TO KNOW, WHAT'S THE BEST COIL OVER FOR THE PRICE & QUALITY FOR AN '01 GS430 ????? I'M GOING TO TAKE MY L-TUNED STUFF OUT. THANK YOU GUYS!!! 888GS430
Old 01-02-02, 01:25 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for value and quality, either the Bilsteins PSS system for ~$900, or TEIN HA for ~$1050
Old 01-02-02, 01:34 PM
888GS430
Driver School Candidate

Default QUEST FOR COIL OVERS

I CALLED TEIN USA & THE GUY SAID I SHOULD BE LOOKING AT "TEIN CS" FOR MY GS HAVE YOU HEARD OF THEM????
Old 01-02-02, 01:39 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

of course,...the tein CS is their comfort series designed more for the luxury cars like our lex,..but they cost ~$1400-1500..if your budget allows, the CS is excellent as well as the HKS hyper damper II
Old 01-02-02, 01:41 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

btw, your all capital casing is making my eyes kind of sore..mind down size a bit thanks
Old 01-02-02, 02:13 PM
888GS430
Driver School Candidate

Default QUEST FOR COILOVERS

Sorry for the caps... I was quoted for hks c\overs by a place in the so. bay, they priced them @ $1600 but I'm still looking since I'm not really pleased w\my l-tuned(sounds coming from them). This is really an AWESOME site! I found people that know what they are talking about. Not to stray from our topic but is there any way that I can chk about my membership @club lexus? Thanks.
Old 01-02-02, 03:07 PM
davezaristo
Lead Lap

I am planning on getting the Bilstein PSS. Anyone interested in a group buy? The best price is $899 for now since everyone online is selling for that price.
Old 01-02-02, 04:03 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

i am not sure about your question on checking your membership?

on the hks, make sure that you get the new generation hyper damper, the 1st gen was good , but the II gives more adjustability(i read from jap mags). so if you plan to spend over $1k, make sure that you get a good one...the place that quoted you $1600, is it toyosoprt? if so, they were trying to sell me the 1st gen model at $1600...
Old 01-02-02, 05:17 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

davezaristo - Not to ignore you but if I did coilovers, I would do Bilstein. Just pretty pleased with the bilsteins (Hi gs4will) and the stock springs (TRD sways when I get the enthusiasm to put them on). I would watch activity on a group buy but it would have to be a heck of a deal in order to justify putting them on the shelf for the future. Guess you need to start a unique thread to see what interest there is.
Old 01-02-02, 10:01 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

hey Ron,

i also would like see more lex guys give the bilsteins coil a try...i would but i am quite happy with my current set up...but i think bilsteins might have arrived at the whole lex tuning scene a bit late, esp on the coils..i mean they focused too much on the european segment in the past...when i tried to get you guys those shocks, the wait was just too much...

if they had introduced the coils long ago, i am certain many current coil owner/users would also have considered the bilsteins..
Old 01-02-02, 10:22 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Hi William - Corporations often have their own agendas. Anyone who spends more than a few minutes on this site realizes just how much GS owners are spending on their cars, even new. Don't want to beat a dead horse as I am sure there are other good shocks out there but to me, bilsteins are something special. We talked in the past about getting coilovers right and I am impressed that it might take some very good engineering to get working right. I have no doubts bilstein started late and then wanted a good product (and obviously figure bimmer owners were a better initial target) so they are late to the party. To tell you the truth, if I were to drop at all it would probably be very little, probably less than an inch just for looks, not handling. I haven't checked into the minimum drop that the PSS can handle but I do like the adjustability of ride height. I can't quite believe how much I am thinking about tinkering with a car with 6K miles on it but if the PSS were the right price I probably would pop for a set and put them on the shelf for the future. I went up and down on the GS but with the bilsteins and driving it more, I am really growing to appreciate it. I no longer think about trying to match bimmer handling, I now think the GS can achieve a better real world balance than bimmer with actually minor mods (shocks, tires, etc.) and that is saying something. Wouldn't want to decide to do the PSS and have them no longer available. About the time I think I will just leave it alone for a while or finally get into the stereo, Steve Ganz posts another new shipment and there is another box in the garage. Still, I do like the look of those blue sways....
Old 01-02-02, 10:41 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

ron,

i am just glad that you are enjoying the bilsteins as you said, the name itself speaks tons for us car dudes.. they were actually making the coils for TTE of germany for a long time( i think close to 2 years), and the pss was also available in japan a whiel back, just wonder why it took them so long to release the pss for the gs here in the US

nonetheless, bilsteins warranty coverage, and handling is top notch.
Old 01-03-02, 04:42 PM
Ag02M5
Lexus Test Driver

Default TTE

Is Bilstein no longer making springs for TTE?

If they are, is the Bilstein shock a better match than the L-tuned?

Thanx.

Ryan
Old 01-04-02, 09:52 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Ryan,

check your email
Old 01-05-02, 11:15 AM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

I am interested in the Bilstein PSS, also, especially after talking to Rodney at MAS. As far as a group buy, I am also interested but only from a local [bay area] shop that will back the product. I hate mail order hassles and I like to support local businesses [that will stand behind what they sell].

Quick Reply: Quest For Coilovers