Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Oh Lord, please rid me of my Tein CS noise!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-07, 07:45 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Oh Lord, please rid me of my Tein CS noise!!!

I have a noise that sounds like someone litely rubbing two aluminum baseball bats together when I'm driving at any speed over 10 mph. I spent the weekend with Sexy Lexy propped up in the garage where I replaced the sway bushings (Daizen), front brake pads (Hark Ceramic), and front bearing (pain in the &^$). I'm running Michelin PS2, had them balanced this weekend as well to make sure there was no interference.

PLEASE someone help me on this one!!

I've isolated every possible noise I can and still have the baseball bat noise I can't get ride of. I mentioned in one of my post that I was going to switch to Bilstein PSS and take my chances, but I need someone to tell me what up.

Oh, last factor is that it was "cool" in DC this weekend (upper 60's a night, 70's during the day) compared to the normal 90f so you West Coasters might not have all of the issues I'm having.
Old 08-22-07, 03:14 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

how do the sway bar bushings feel? Mine came in from Sewell yesterday..
Old 08-22-07, 06:02 AM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tmf2004
how do the sway bar bushings feel? Mine came in from Sewell yesterday..
The bushings feel great. Not a huge improvement but noteworthy. I purchased but am NOT going to install the control arm bushings after reading a thread on the sqeaking they make in cold temps. How are your CS's working out for you, any noise or am I one of the only ones?

Last edited by ZippyGuy; 08-22-07 at 06:04 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-22-07, 06:17 AM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If the noise is all the time it doesnt sound like its a suspension problem. It sounds more like its brakes. Make sure your emergency brakes are fully released. "Rubbing two aluminum baseball bats together" is an excelent description. But to me that reminds me of the sound brakes make. Or wheel bearings maybe. I doubt its the Teins making the noise if its all the time though.
Old 08-22-07, 06:53 AM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by KiPod
If the noise is all the time it doesnt sound like its a suspension problem. It sounds more like its brakes. Make sure your emergency brakes are fully released. "Rubbing two aluminum baseball bats together" is an excelent description. But to me that reminds me of the sound brakes make. Or wheel bearings maybe. I doubt its the Teins making the noise if its all the time though.
I wish it was the brakes but I replaced them as part of the elimination process. You do make a good point, I should check the tension on the rears and possibly replace those pads.
Old 08-22-07, 05:52 PM
Adam2562
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

howw many miles r on ur cs..... i havent had any issues with mine..... n theyve been thru snow rain n sunny days... but i clen them up a lot .. n they dont see snow or much rain ne more unless im caught in it
Old 08-22-07, 06:00 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Adam2562
howw many miles r on ur cs..... i havent had any issues with mine..... n theyve been thru snow rain n sunny days... but i clen them up a lot .. n they dont see snow or much rain ne more unless im caught in it
Only about 6K on the CS's. I tend to thing it's not the coilovers because they really are high quality, but I can't isolate the problem. I never had issues before the CS's so it must be something that effected by the new set-up. Really confusing.

BTW - I've been watching intake/exhaust conversations to get some ideas. How do you like your SRT and exhaust? What was your less expensive set-up in mind as far as intake (CAI)?
Old 08-22-07, 06:50 PM
Adam2562
Lexus Champion

i love it .... all my friends think my car sounds nuts! scary lol but i also have a lil exhaust leak that makes my exhaust a lil louder so i'm gonna wait till i get my exhaust redone i just need someone that knows someone who does exhaust work to do what i want done... still waiting on that.. my old guy that did everything closed down...
Old 08-22-07, 07:04 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

i love it .... all my friends think my car sounds nuts! scary lol but i also have a lil exhaust leak that makes my exhaust a lil louder so i'm gonna wait till i get my exhaust redone i just need someone that knows someone who does exhaust work to do what i want done... still waiting on that.. my old guy that did everything closed down...
You're up in MD, I'm right outside of the city. If you find anyone that can get things done correctly let's talk. I was working with Curry's had to have EVER SINGLE THING they worked on re-done. Redone coilover height setting with alignment, redone front bearings (BOTH), redone wheel straightening, etc.

BAck to the subject, let me know if you have any noises with the CS's.
Old 08-22-07, 09:34 PM
Adam2562
Lexus Champion

i'll let u kno if i get any noises... although im currently in the market for something stiffer like the tein flex... it just suites my needs better.... if u need ur susp. height adjusted again i can do that for u ... but if u want s guy to do all the other thing my old boss at toyota (shop foreman) is a great reputable mechanic and was a lead tech at lexus for awhile.. he does all my big services on my car... he's at 355 toyota in rockville n will do sidework for u... let me kno if u want his number!!!...
Old 08-22-07, 10:26 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have Michelin PS2 on the front and Toyo T1-S on the rear but those PS2s are THE LOUDEST tires I've ever had. It's almost like a broken hub bearing sound...if I wasn't broke with tuitions, I'd get OEM Bridgestones but I'm stuck with these for now.

anywho, are you sure its not the tires? Mine were so loud to the point I had them balanced twice in a month...and its still loud.
Old 08-22-07, 11:43 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my guess is wheel bearings.
Old 08-23-07, 06:19 AM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

i'll let u kno if i get any noises... although im currently in the market for something stiffer like the tein flex... it just suites my needs better.... if u need ur susp. height adjusted again i can do that for u ... but if u want s guy to do all the other thing my old boss at toyota (shop foreman) is a great reputable mechanic and was a lead tech at lexus for awhile.. he does all my big services on my car... he's at 355 toyota in rockville n will do sidework for u... let me kno if u want his number!!!...
Adam - SOLID!! If you don't mind I'll be in touch soon.
Old 08-26-07, 07:22 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cliffud
my guess is wheel bearings.
Winner, winner, chicken dinner!! After replacing the bearings THREE times over the past 6 months, the noise problem was the bearings again. Fellas, thanks so much for helping out with this one.
Old 08-27-07, 06:26 PM
Adam2562
Lexus Champion

how much did u drop on replacing the wheel bearings? im thinking i could be due to replace mine.. i may have just gotten adjusted to the sound lol

Quick Reply: Oh Lord, please rid me of my Tein CS noise!!!