Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Final coilover questions...

Old 08-19-07, 07:10 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Final coilover questions...

I have NEVER had or been in a lowered car before! (I know sounds crazy right). Since I live in NY what minimum level should I be looking at to lower my car? I am still tossing up the Bilstein PSS and now the Tein Flex (Eventually maybe EDFC). I felt these are more comparable to one another than the Tein CS (seem softer than these other setups based on my readings). I don't know and can't picture what a 1.8" drop all around on a 2GS (This is the Bilstein PSS max lowering spec). I only hear "1 finger gap" or "no finger gap" which I understand, but how many inches is that...approx? I like the Bilsteins but after searching through "old" threads many CL members that had and LOVED the Bilsteins now have the Tein Flex setup with EDFC...why the switch? Is a 1.6" - 1.8" drop not really a noticable drop? I would like to achieve almost a "no finger gap" all around; will the Bilstein PSS meet this request? I want to make sure that if I'm getting a nice set of coilovers it will be noticable from both me and others...please help on my final decision!!!
Old 08-19-07, 11:08 AM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what size tires are you running?
the only set up i know in drop inches is 2" front and 1.5" rear
this puts the fenders right on the top of the tires side wall, perfect in my opinion.
wheel and tire total diameter is 26.5" or close to it. Depending on the diameter of wheel tire combo you have, you will need a 2" plus drop on the front to bring the fender down to the tire.

BTW, if you do and even drop, meaning 1.8" front, 1.8" rear. the car will look lower in the back than the front .5" diffrence between the front and rear will provide an even looking drop to the car
Old 08-19-07, 04:52 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Got it...the diameter of my tires is exactly 25.5", I just measured. I think I can fit 3 "fingers" in each corner.......ewww gross 4X4; I know. I need to drop this thing and fast! If I go Tein...I'm now leaning a little more towards the Flex. Sounds to me like your not crazy about the Bilstein PSS; is it because it doesn't drop low enough???

Oh, BTW keep in mind I will never be tucking or want to tuck my tires in the wheel well. So if there is a coilover setup that just brings me to no gap or a slight gap at the last setting...that is fine by me.
Old 08-19-07, 09:13 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if i were you, i would go with tein and get your self the edfc. you can contol the dampering at the push of a button. soft around town and stiff on the highway, like you want. i think with the wheels you have and the drop you want can be achieved by the flex just fine.

Last edited by GS FONZy; 08-19-07 at 10:03 PM.
Old 08-19-07, 09:40 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

hey rock-a-lex give it a lil bit of time before you decide on the type of coilovers you want. Wait for a meet and than take a ride in someone's car. I would suggest gsoups cause his is slammed on teins and handles great I think that you will probably pick them up with any hesitation.
Old 08-20-07, 07:03 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Here is a pic of the Bilstien PSS coilovers on DaveGs4's beautiful ride Look at the stance
Attached Thumbnails Final coilover questions...-ph-10043.jpg  
Old 08-20-07, 07:11 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Nick,

Just come through and go for a ride on my Tein CS, I have a one finger gap (only because of driveway height issues) and no rubbing whatsoever. With my front and rear strut bars, body roll is minimal and anyone who has seen me drive knows I throw that big body weight across the highway during a drift with no problem.