Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

question for STANCE coilover owners

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-07, 07:52 AM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question for STANCE coilover owners

i'm actually a 2nd gen GS owner lurking here... heh

i recently installed a set of STANCE GR+ into my GS. it's possible i might be the first here on CL to do it in a GS because everywhere i search, only SC owners are posting about STANCE.

i want to ask those of you with STANCE coilovers... are you experiencing any problems or noise issues with your hardware?

i had my right front coilover fail right out of the box... basically, put it on the car, drove out of the shop, and it was already making noise. i tried turning up the settings and the noise (a watery, sucking sound at first), diminished, but it would get loud again until i was at the 14 setting out of 16. finally yesterday going to work, i was hitting a long string of expansion joints on the bridge and *bang* it let go on me... the sucking sound was replaced with banging, crashing, etc.. i went back to the shop and they pulled the coilover out, turned the setting back to 1 and released the preload on the coil, and then tried pushing down on the coilover by hand against the ground... no leaks, no noise. so they put it back in the car and the noise is back. there was no choice but to pull it out and temporarily replace it with my old tein CS, and now the noise is gone. i've already informed STANCE and they immediately said they are shipping me a replacement (3 weeks unfortunately because it has to be shipped from japan), so i'm waiting on that one.

the other three good ones on the car seem to be okay, except for the clunking i get from the springs. the mechanic i went to says it's because the springs are twisting against the bottom of the upper pillowball mount and it's making the noise because there is nothing there to isolate the the metal pieces from each other. my old teins had a rubber ring that kept them apart, but not STANCE. the mechanic suggested getting another thrust washer, similar to what STANCE has for the spring collar at the bottom), but i haven't been able to find anything similar yet.

is anyone experiencing similar noise issues? otherwise, they have been great to me

Last edited by Benjamin T; 08-16-07 at 07:58 AM.