Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Installing Supra TT brakes, questions...

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-07, 03:08 AM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Installing Supra TT brakes, questions...

I searched and didnt find the answer i needed so i hope im not retarded and missed it

My question is.. I bought Supra TT calipers, and want to upgrade to stainless lines at the same time i install them. Im probably going to buy the lines from Tirerack.com, but my question is, do i order lines for a GS400, or lines for a Supra? Will the Supra line kit bolt up front and rear on my GS400?

Also, i was probably going to go with Hawk HPS pads, as i have had good luck with them in the past on my Camaro... is this pad a good choice? They are also available from tirerack.com.

Lastly, im still looking for a set of front rotors for my TT kit. I found a numbers of rotors available on tirerack.com and a bunch of noname rotors on ebay. What should i go with? I only need front rotors, and the kits on ebay are front and rear. I already have drilled/slotted rotors in the rear of my car, so id like to match that up front. What do you guys recommend??

Is there a DIY writeup somewhere? I know you have to cut the shield, just wondering where, and what else might be involved

Thanks
Old 08-11-07, 06:10 AM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

well the shield has to be cut where the holes are for the caliper to attach to. Then when u put the rotor on te top and bottom of the shield will be touching so you have to bend it out slightly. The lines for the gs fit on the supra calipers that is what i got installed. And according to gsoup the line for the supra should fit as well. If you buy the lines for the gs the head with the angle on 2 of the lines are for the back. The rotors that I purchased are nice they can with brake pads already so you dont have to spend money on brake pads right now save a little and purchase better ones later. they do have bite so dont think that they are crap.

Here is a picture of my rotors.

Old 08-11-07, 08:43 AM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im using hawk pads right now. they are not the race version but the street version and they are great. not too much brake dust.

as for front rotors, i have the TT rotora drilled i believe in 13".

for brake lines, i have the ones that fits the GS and they are fine. i hear the supra lines are a bit long, about an 1" longer than the GS.

bottom line, the supra TT brakes are a night and day difference compared to stock.

as for the shield, yes, cut it and toss it. i hear some members just tweaking it back so it's up to you. i live in so. cal so we don't much rain here so it stays clean in this area.

good luck.
Old 08-11-07, 09:41 AM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Just ordered a set of stainless lines (for a GS400), and a set of Hawk HPS pads (for a supra), from Tirerack.com... Cant wait to get everything and get it all installed! Now i just gotta get rotors. Thanks guys!
Old 08-11-07, 11:54 AM
uplusd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brembo discontinued the rotors for the Supra TT. So the next best choice would be Rotora. That is what I just ordered for my brake upgrade
Old 08-12-07, 03:41 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

I found Brembo blank rotors for the Supra TT on tirerack.com, so i think im going to order those. I dont need cross drilled rotors anymore... Ive noticed that they make a lot of noise as the car is rolling not applying the brakes. So since i have cross drilled rear rotors, im going to go ahead and order the Brembo rear blanks as well (for the GS) Paired with some Hawk HPS pads.. i think it will be pretty sweet
Old 08-12-07, 10:17 PM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RTGS400
I searched and didnt find the answer i needed so i hope im not retarded and missed it
Missed it or not, you were retarded even before all this. Tuhd taa daaah!!!LOL
Good luck with the brake upgrade. Gonna have to swing by the shop and check it out when you get it done.
-Will
Old 08-13-07, 12:37 AM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

haha, Will.. you never cease to crack me up.

So a quick update. Heres what i have ordered for my brake upgrade.

98 Supra TT Calipers OEM Refurbished (black and they say "Supra" on them)
Brembo Blank Rotors (Front and Rear)
Hawk HPS pads (Front and Rear)
Goodridge Stainless Steel lines (for a GS400)

Should be a sweet upgrade... I didnt like the idea of eBay rotors, as i had previously bought a set for my GS (currently on my car), and they warped pretty quickly. So i went with a name brand, Brembo, and crossing my fingers
Old 08-13-07, 08:53 AM
uplusd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice Ryan.

Here is what I ordered:

Brand new Supra TT calipers
Shim Kit
Rotora slotted all 4
Toyota pads front, Axxis deluxe rear (kind of wondering if I should have gone non-OEM in front)
Goodridge Lines all 4
Old 08-13-07, 04:21 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

make sure that you guys get a fit kit and shim kit.
Old 08-13-07, 04:24 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Originally Posted by Spyder78
make sure that you guys get a fit kit and shim kit.
hmm.. what is included in the fit kit and shim kit? i ordered hawk pads, im pretty sure they have shims attatched to the pads.. and the fit kit? the calipers came with the rod the holds the pads to the caliper and the piece of metal that holds the pin in place.. what am i missing?
Old 08-13-07, 11:14 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

the anti rattle spring in between without it the pads will be hitting the rotors. Sounds like the car is falling apart. Trust me I learned the hard way.
Old 08-13-07, 11:16 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Originally Posted by Spyder78
the anti rattle spring in between without it the pads will be hitting the rotors. Sounds like the car is falling apart. Trust me I learned the hard way.
have a toyota part number for the kits?
Old 08-14-07, 09:27 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

I'll get it for you tomorrow.
Old 08-16-07, 05:32 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

toyota part numbers

04945-14110 shim kit
04947-14010 fit kit

Quick Reply: Installing Supra TT brakes, questions...