Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Coilover debate please…Bilstein PSS, Tein CS or VIP Luxury Vehicle Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-07, 07:36 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Coilover debate please…Bilstein PSS, Tein CS or VIP Luxury Vehicle Coilovers

Please see below, this was posted twice by mistake.

Last edited by ZippyGuy; 07-31-07 at 08:47 PM. Reason: duplicate
Old 07-31-07, 07:38 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Default Coilover debate please…Bilstein PSS, Tein CS or VIP Luxury Vehicle Coilovers

Fellas (and ladies if there are any on here ),

I’ve posted before and got some incredible feedback on direction for the "whip", I need your help again. In January I had Tein CS’s installed on my 1999 GS300 with 82K miles on it and have not been pleased with the ride. There’s transfer road noise (most likely from the aluminum strut mounts) bump-pops when I go over an unavoidable pot hole or bump (most likely the control arm hitting), needless to say I’m making a change. My big question is, and please ring in on this one, which is the best coilover for a luxury ride, ride height adjustment, and handling, in that order:

- Bilstein PSS (http://www.bilstein.com/autos.php#systems)
- Tein CS (http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=202)
- VIP Luxury (http://www.jic-magic.com/ViewProduct1.aspx?ProductID=34)

I know, I know, I’m probably not the ballers most of you are but hey, I like it a little smoother. I’m changing out my set up in less than two weeks and want to make sure I buy the right thing.

Feedback?

Last edited by ZippyGuy; 09-26-08 at 05:38 AM.
Old 08-01-07, 08:53 PM
bugeyeGS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VIP luxury have the best spring rate from what i see for the smooth ride but doesnt show how low the car can go with them
Old 08-01-07, 11:49 PM
Scott1258
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ZippyGuy
Fellas (and ladies if there are any on here ),

I’ve posted before and got some incredible feedback on direction for whip, I need your help again. In January I had Tein CS’s installed on my 1999 GS300 with 82K miles on it and have not been pleased with the ride. There’s transfer road noise (most likely from the aluminum strut mounts) bump-pops when I go over an unavoidable pot hole or bump (most likely the control arm hitting), needless to say I’m making a change. My big questions is and please ring in on this one, which is the best coilover for a luxury ride, ride height adjustment, and handling, in that order:

- Bilstein PSS (http://www.bilstein.com/autos.php#systems)
- Tein CS (http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=202)
- VIP Luxury (http://www.jic-magic.com/ViewProduct1.aspx?ProductID=34)

I know, I know, I’m probably not the balers most of you are but hey, I like it a little smoother. I’m changing out my set up in less than two weeks and want to make sure I buy the right thing.

Feedback?

Hey Zippy - Great question you're asking. But I'm confused about something -you state that you installed the Tein CS's back in January, and you do not like the ride. Why would you be asking imput on them if you don't like them? Do you have the version 1 CS's and are wondering about the version 2's? Let us know.

The JIC's have a front spring rate of 12kg's and I would think this is a little too stiff for a comfortable ride. If the valving is soft maybe not. Anyone know about these or ridden in a car with them? Stiff? Comfortable? The regular fla2's are very stiff from what I've read - how are these different? And how do the JIC's hold up in terms of longevity? And can you get them with a softer spring rate? Any noises with these?

Also, HKS RS coils have gotten some good reviews. The only part that makes me a little skittish on them is the solid upper mounts (worried about harshness and noise witht that mount). If they had the rubber in them I would be all over these babies. I'm thinking about the CS v2's myself, but your review of them having noise also has me concerned about this option. Anyone else experience noise from the CSv2 from the upper mount or from anywhere else?

I hope we get some feedback from other members with their thoughts on these systems. Please post any problems you may have had with noise or harshness or road noise with the systems you've tried. Thanks all!

Scott
Old 08-02-07, 07:54 AM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

another option:

http://www.stance-usa.com/plus.php

i ordered a set. hoping to get them in the mail next week. i'm replacing my tein cs v1.0's with these in hopes that i can maintain a low ride height without all the bottoming out my teins are experiencing.
Old 08-02-07, 08:25 AM
Scott1258
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Benjamin T
another option:

http://www.stance-usa.com/plus.php

i ordered a set. hoping to get them in the mail next week. i'm replacing my tein cs v1.0's with these in hopes that i can maintain a low ride height without all the bottoming out my teins are experiencing.
Did you order those with the 18k front spring rate or did you go with a different rate? Those seem pretty stiff for street driving. What else can you tell us about them? They look interesting - where are they made?
Old 08-02-07, 08:35 AM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

yes they still have the 10k/18k spring rates, much higher than the 8k/9k i have now with the tein CS. they told me it's not all about the spring rates, and that it's the valving inside the coilovers themselves that will make the difference. i'll know more once i have them installed.

i do like my teins, but there is no stroke left when at their lowest ride height setting, which is why i want to try the STANCE coilovers because of the independent height adjustment and spring preload. my only other option was air suspension (air runner was my dream setup), but it's big $$$ just for the basic kit, and having to deal with the tank and compressor means major install hassles, and it's too soft (IMO) if i want to drive more agressively.
Old 08-02-07, 09:58 AM
JLAM
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have HKS hipermax LS on my GS400. I like the HKS a lot more in comparison to the Tein HA I had on my old GS300. They ride very well, even on low setting. And like BenjaminT said...it's not only about spring rates, the valving makes a difference also.

I had experience with Tein HE and Apexi N1 coilovers on a 240sx. The apexi N1 are a race/drift coilover that have a very stiff/high spring rate but are still bearable on the street because of their design and good valving.
Old 08-02-07, 10:09 AM
JLAM
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scott1258
Also, HKS RS coils have gotten some good reviews. The only part that makes me a little skittish on them is the solid upper mounts (worried about harshness and noise witht that mount). If they had the rubber in them I would be all over these babies. I'm thinking about the CS v2's myself, but your review of them having noise also has me concerned about this option. Anyone else experience noise from the CSv2 from the upper mount or from anywhere else?

I hope we get some feedback from other members with their thoughts on these systems. Please post any problems you may have had with noise or harshness or road noise with the systems you've tried. Thanks all!

Scott
I have HKS LS on my GS and love them. (not sure if same upper mount design as HKS RS) I don't have any complaints regarding harshness or noise. I would say they are the best coilovers I had in comparison with others I experienced in the past.
Old 08-02-07, 12:00 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JLAM
I have HKS LS on my GS and love them. (not sure if same upper mount design as HKS RS) I don't have any complaints regarding harshness or noise. I would say they are the best coilovers I had in comparison with others I experienced in the past.
glad to hear that b/c I'm installing HKS Hipermax LS in a few weeks
Old 08-02-07, 12:11 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Bilstein PSS.. How do they say it here?.. ah... "FTW"

This suspension is not harsh at all, and will give the GS a European ride with a nice stance. This is one coilover set-up you will not have to worry about removing from the car to be rebuilt. Having a lifetime warranty unlike the others should be a testiment to the quality of this setup. No complaints here with 2yrs plus of useage
Old 08-02-07, 06:20 PM
Euphoric
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER

This suspension is not harsh at all, and will give the GS a European ride with a nice stance. This is one coilover set-up you will not have to worry about removing from the car to be rebuilt. Having a lifetime warranty unlike the others should be a testiment to the quality of this setup. No complaints here with 2yrs plus of useage
Do you know how low they can made to go?
Old 08-02-07, 09:50 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the reply Scott. I'm asking for comments becuase I'm wondering if this is as good as it gets with coilovers learning and from all the great members of this site that have some good insight. To answer one of your questions, I have the second generation CS's so that might be a HUGE reason I'm having road transfer noise (to the point I can't hear my cell on speaker) and "bumping" noise when going over anything but a small road deviation. I hope I'm not conveying that these are not a uality product, just not luxurious enough for me. Again, thanks for the reply.

Last edited by ZippyGuy; 09-26-08 at 05:41 AM.
Old 08-02-07, 09:55 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER

Excellent statement, just what I need to make a decision. The lifetime warranty speaks VOLUMES to this product. I thinkg this may have just pushed me over the edge. By the way, did you use the lower bump stop?
Old 08-02-07, 10:00 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Scott1258
Hey Zippy - Great question you're asking. But I'm confused about something -you state that you installed the Tein CS's back in January, and you do not like the ride. Why would you be asking imput on them if you don't like them? Do you have the version 1 CS's and are wondering about the version 2's? Let us know.

The JIC's have a front spring rate of 12kg's and I would think this is a little too stiff for a comfortable ride. If the valving is soft maybe not. Anyone know about these or ridden in a car with them? Stiff? Comfortable? The regular fla2's are very stiff from what I've read - how are these different? And how do the JIC's hold up in terms of longevity? And can you get them with a softer spring rate? Any noises with these?

Scott
- I have the vr. 2 and am wondering feedback on this version and/or if vr. is a more sound product

- Nosie...most people would be ok with the noise but it's a big difference from my shock/spring set up and loud enough that I can't hear my conversations on my cell phone. Replaced the barrings twice thinking that was the problem. Again, not extremely bad, just not something I want to deal with.

Quick Reply: Coilover debate please…Bilstein PSS, Tein CS or VIP Luxury Vehicle Coilovers