Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Disappointed in brakes on GS400!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-07, 04:41 PM
David GS400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, I agree with your first impression; the GS brakes in stock form SUCK. Yes the tests show the stopping distance is one of the top in class, but most of these are luxury type sedans that potentially can be great performance cars. I tried many things for my brakes; the first I switched to the "green pads" from Tire Rack. The braking improved, but it coated my wheels with thick black dust all the time so I'm not recommending them. Switching to the SS brake lines did greatly reduce the mushy pedal feeling and braking feel was greatly enhanced. But after I started modifying my engine, drivetrain and suspension, the car got much faster and handled so much better, the shortcomings of the brakes became much more obvious. I ended up switching to the Rotora 4-piston big brake kit up front and the Stillen rear rotors and brake pads (standard size) for the rear. The stillen rotors perfectly match the drilled and slotted Rotora's and look good together. The braking power is so much better now, I found myself driving into corners much deeper just to test the braking power.

So my recommendation, if you're looking for better feel the SS lines are your best bet. If you want better braking power on a budget, go with Stillen sport rotors and pads. The pads are metal matrix and the sport rotors are reasonably priced. If you have the budget and larger wheels, look into some of the big brake kits such as Rotora and AP Racing. I don't recommend the Supra TT conversion as the Supra calipers stick out farther than the Rotora or AP and often rub the wheels if spacers aren't used. Some might not agree, but these were my experiences. I drover Manaray's GS and he had the AP 6-piston calipers on the front. I thought my eyes were going to pop out as the brakes were so strong. Probably don't need that much power for the street but to each his own.
Old 08-02-07, 12:21 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

hey david do you have any pics of your brakes setup i want to know how the stillen rear rotors/calipers look with rotoras that is if you changed the rear calipers? i have brembo rotors all the way, and ebc pads after putting 20s on, the car dont stop at all, i am picking up a 4 pot rotora kit myself ..was wondering i have to change the back brakes /calipers too? thanks
Old 08-02-07, 09:29 PM
Panerai127
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also have a question. I swapped my rotors and pads about 6 months ago to iRotors slotted/drilled and Axxis pads front and back. For last few months my breaks became louder and I hear winning down sound as I stop and espacially when I almost come to full stop, I feel no shimmy just that they are noisy now. It sounds like a dull numb low winning down sound. Any idea guys? Can it be that my rotors need to be resurficed or I need new pads? something does dound wrong? Anyone experienced something like this?
Old 08-02-07, 11:28 PM
PineGreen
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dlomonosov
I also have a question. I swapped my rotors and pads about 6 months ago to iRotors slotted/drilled and Axxis pads front and back. For last few months my breaks became louder and I hear winning down sound as I stop and espacially when I almost come to full stop, I feel no shimmy just that they are noisy now. It sounds like a dull numb low winning down sound. Any idea guys? Can it be that my rotors need to be resurficed or I need new pads? something does dound wrong? Anyone experienced something like this?
I read a thread here way back when...as I was researching on what kind of rotors I wanted. Some said that the cross drilled and slotted rotors are a little loud because you hear the heat gases that are built up from braking exiting the slots and drill holes. Not sure if that is what you hear, but that's what they said. I ended up getting just slotted rotors and have had no noise.
Old 08-03-07, 10:15 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

i am brembo rotors, drilled, ebc pads,all way around in the rain they are outright annoying i feel like i am driving a tractor..they are loud, not to mention the clikcing noise i was getting it went away from the rears when i put a shimmy kit on
Old 08-03-07, 11:11 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This guy switched the brake booster to a 01+ and says it improved the feel a lot.

http://www4.plala.or.jp/takefumi/parts/out/supra5.html
sorry its in Japanese
Old 08-03-07, 11:25 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

those EBC pads are pretty aggressive. They'll make more noise than regular OEM pads.
Old 08-03-07, 11:27 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
This guy switched the brake booster to a 01+ and says it improved the feel a lot.

http://www4.plala.or.jp/takefumi/parts/out/supra5.html
sorry its in Japanese
yes!! I knew the 01+ had break booster, but I didn't know if it could be retrofitted in our 98-00. That explains why when I test drove an 01 GS430, the brakes felt better. Less mushy.
Old 08-03-07, 12:04 PM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my 2000 has the brake boost. maybe the 98 and 99 didn't have it.