Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

What to do with my suspension? air ride

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-07, 12:51 AM
na4now
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do with my suspension? air ride

My car is on stock suspension, now. Im going for the low and wide, sort of vip styling. I have a complete air ride set up, using Parker cylinders., that Ive pieced together.

Now, Im having second thoughts about using the cylinders. Theyre supposed to be horrible, even when used with accumulators (whick I have).

Im going for an exact, lowered height. I want the rim to be in a certain place in relation to the fender. I was going to achieve this by shaving the fenders, maxing out my stock camber adjustments, using wheel spacers, and I was going to make the brackets for the cylinders, adjustable.

Now if I dont use the cylinders, and use bags, ...I would have to put them on high dollar adjustable coilovers to get my lowest height, JUST right. That would cost a couple grand!, ...compared to my slightly used cylinders that I got , for $40.

Should I try running the cylinders?
Should I scratch wheel fitment/ height goal, and just run coilovers? Or put the bags on the factory struts?
Old 07-08-07, 07:47 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

two options - do it right and spend the cash on your air bag setup and get the look you want OR run coilovers and live with what you get...

you will blow up the factory shocks running a really low airbag, and everything else sounds like it'd be hacked together...

one final note - you can't VIP a SCX00... the very term VIP requires a big body sedan...
Old 07-08-07, 03:48 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
one final note - you can't VIP a SCX00... the very term VIP requires a big body sedan...
Not to the full extent, but pretty close.

EDIT: Hi-res version
Old 07-08-07, 05:01 PM
na4now
Lexus Test Driver

I KNOW. Im not calling my car VIP. I said that to give an idea of how Im wanting my wheels and suspension to be. You can make any car have any style you want, anyway.

and everything else sounds like it'd be hacked together...
Nothing hacked is going on my car. My air suspension parts Ive pieced together is all high quality. I have nicer stuff than those $4000 kits. In fact, Ive seen cylinder setups on some really high end cars.
Old 07-08-07, 07:01 PM
t70 supra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

coil overs
Old 07-08-07, 10:31 PM
ramblux
Rookie

Cylinders are junk when used on cars. I've had a few air cylinder setups and have always had problems. Keep in mind that I know lots of people who own suspension shops and have had adjustable suspensions on many, many cars. First off, they will leak -- not from the fittings, but from the seals. Maybe not the first week, but soon after. Even oiling systems don't work that great.

Air accumulators (which as you know are just empty mini air tanks) will soften the ride, but the car will feel floaty and uncontrollable on the highway since you're replacing your shocks with cylinders that have no actual damping characteristics. It will be similar to riding on springs with no shocks, or pogo sticks if you will.

You are much better off with an Airrunner setup, or even a hydraulic setup with nitrogen-charged bladder-type accumulators. The difference with hydraulic accumulators is that you can fine-tune the pressure in them, which will allow you to adjust rebound. I can honestly say that the best riding cars I've owned have had hydraulics on them. Plus, if you run a Streetcharger, you can run only two batteries and never have to recharge them since your alternator and the charger will take care of that.
Old 07-08-07, 10:47 PM
na4now
Lexus Test Driver

Id love to do hydraulics, but I dont know much about them. Ive done other air setups, ....just not cylinders. Ive already sent a good bit of money on this setup, but Im sure I could make my money back.

Im thinking of just doing coilovers. Plus Im considering doing a 1jz swap, and cylinders wouldnt be good for lots of power, or any cornering.