Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.
Old 01-07-15, 12:33 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension
Print Wikipost

DIY Lower Ball Joints for the 2nd Gen GS. - Step by Step Instructions and Pictures

Old 07-02-07, 04:03 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One ? Where did you get the tie rods and how much? Already got the ball joints
Old 07-02-07, 04:04 AM
Chenzo26
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GS300Rich
One ? Where did you get the tie rods and how much? Already got the ball joints
I got mine at Sewell, and they cost $50 bucks each I think.
Old 07-02-07, 07:55 AM
David1969
Pole Position

Wow that's a great write up. I just paid $100.00 bux to get them swapped out 2 weeks ago. For me, it was worth it cuz i hate working on anything...especially in Texas heat. .....not to mention i'm almost mechanically retarded.
Old 07-02-07, 11:43 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Chenzo26
I got mine at Sewell, and they cost $50 bucks each I think.

Not a bad price, and it sounds like it makes a huge difference. This will be next on my list but I will let my mechanic handle these chores. Maybe I will stick around and watch though so I can do it myself next time
Old 07-02-07, 12:25 PM
migitymark
Driver

I did mine this past friday..really easy. I think it took an hour working really slowly, washing my hands a few times & stopping to cool off.

Anyways, my tip for everyone: if you have a 17mm open ended wrench, then you dont even need to touch the brakes to get the bolt off the tie rod end. There's not enough room for a socket to fit without removing the brakes, but I know if i had a regular wrench, it would have saved me a little time.

Also I used a long twist-tie to hang the caliper. I ran the wire through the hole where the caliper bolts to the spindle & through the coil spring & twisted a couple times.

And yeah, your alignment wont be perfect afterwards (mine's not) because the tire sits differently on worn balljoints than on new ones I guess. I think it throws off your camber. and I didnt replace the tie rods so it;s not the toe. Its not bad enough for me to need an alignment, but you be the judge once you get yours replaced.
Old 11-21-07, 04:28 PM
MikeM
Driver School Candidate

Good thread. Thanks. When ordering parts I have noticed most people are buying the lh and rh as separate items. They are available as a set.

Part # 43340-39415 (thanks to MarkMAcGS$ for saving me bucks) it does not show up on the parts sheet as a pair. Go to sewell and do a search for this part number. Be sure to change the "search by" to part number.

Sewell also has nuts and bolts that go with the ball joints. I have not seen anybody else list these with the parts they bought. Any comments on whether or not this is a good idea would be a good add to the thread. I am going to buy them because they are cheap.
Old 02-02-08, 06:24 PM
NastyIS
Driver

Chenzo26, thanks for the time and effort you put into this thread. I used this along with the other thread in the sticky and tackeled my outer balljoints and tie rods end this weekend. No walk in the park due to stubborn bolts and a small issue with one of the tie rod ends but got it done! Thanks again.
Old 03-02-08, 03:58 PM
tommyjaix
Lead Lap

great write up, I just did the balljoints and tie rod ends DIY yesterday and steering feels like the car is new. the steering is very stiff, like race car stiff, it's great. Too bad I didn't have a torque wrench, I just tightened everything as much as I could, and its pretty damn tight, my body was turning 360 degrees on the floor when i was tightening those bolts.
Old 03-02-08, 04:01 PM
tommyjaix
Lead Lap

i also want to add that my steering wheel is off by a very noticeable amount after the bj and tie rod replacement. But i'm also planning to replace my steering rack and sway bar bushings soon, should I wait and get an alignment then or would the bushing replacements wont affect my alignment since removal of sway bar or steering rack is not required for their bushings replacment.
Old 03-02-08, 08:27 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Just do the alignment last to make sure everything is in spec.
Old 03-03-08, 02:06 PM
tarnut77
Driver

FYI*** you will need 2 open ended wrenches to remove the tie rod ends. A 14mm to hold the shaft above the lock nut, and a 19mm to turn the tie rod end. A great DIY.
Old 03-03-08, 03:15 PM
ShaneC
Lexus Champion

whats symptoms that the balljoint and tie rod need to be changed? just slippy steering or does it fix some car vibrations?
Old 03-03-08, 03:25 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

for balljoints, you get a clicking/clunking noise when you turn the steering wheel, or entering a driveway. Or you can just jack up your car, take out the wheel, and lift the rotor assembly to see if you have any freeplay.
Old 03-04-08, 06:33 PM
tommyjaix
Lead Lap

^^ definitely the clicking/clunking noise, mine was so bad the night prior to changing my bj's that the clunking was echoing through my campus streets at night, was just glad no one was around or else i'll be getting weird stares...

and yes, definitely 2 wrenches for replacing the tie rod ends
Old 03-04-08, 06:34 PM
tommyjaix
Lead Lap

actually, my old tie rods were so loose that I was able to twist them off more than halfway prior to the replacement..talk about a close call

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY Lower Ball Joints for the 2nd Gen GS. - Step by Step Instructions and Pictures