Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Upgrade brake question

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-07, 05:47 AM
nsf0607
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Upgrade brake question

I listened to a rep from Bilstein last night of a local talk radio show and he mentioned that many people are increasing their wheel size without doing anything to their stock brake setup. He stated that when you increase your wheel size you should also take into consideration increase your car’s braking capabilities. I was wondering those of us who want to go from a stock 16 or 17 wheel to a 18, do we need to get a better braking setup? What about 19, 20 etc. Can anyone comment on this or should I move this the the brake forum?
Thanks in advance.
Old 06-20-07, 06:40 AM
Chenzo26
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since you are USUALLY increasing the total weight of the car when you increase wheel size, aftermarket calipers and other brake parts should be considered. Going from 16/17 to 18 is not too big of a deal, but when you increase the size of the wheel by more than that without upgrading your braking system, you increase your stopping time and stopping distance - neither of which is desireable.
Old 06-20-07, 06:51 AM
nsf0607
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Chenzo26
Since you are USUALLY increasing the total weight of the car when you increase wheel size, aftermarket calipers and other brake parts should be considered. Going from 16/17 to 18 is not too big of a deal, but when you increase the size of the wheel by more than that without upgrading your braking system, you increase your stopping time and stopping distance - neither of which is desireable.
Thanks Chenzo26. I was under that impression also; up to 18 should be ok. I just wanted to hear it from someone else.
Again thanks.
Old 06-20-07, 07:09 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

unsprung weight = even more weight.
try changing brake pads and see where you go from there.
Old 06-20-07, 07:30 AM
nsf0607
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
unsprung weight = even more weight.
try changing brake pads and see where you go from there.
Coco-bun thanks for the info. So just an upgrade in brake pads only for up to 18s and maybe better brake setup for above 18s?

Thanks

Thanks Mods for the help with the move.

Last edited by nsf0607; 06-20-07 at 07:37 AM.
Old 06-26-07, 01:45 AM
LexFather

Well another big thing people forget is tires. Great tires can help your stopping distances. After great tires, then start upgrading the brakes.
Old 06-26-07, 04:53 AM
nsf0607
Pole Position

Thanks for all the feedback. The info is greatly apprecaited.
Old 06-26-07, 05:44 AM
Chenzo26
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nsf0607
Thanks for all the feedback. The info is greatly apprecaited.
No Problem, you might also want to beef up your suspension as well. I am pretty sure you will be putting more stress on such components as the ball joints and tie rods as well. You don't want those failing on you. Just a thought.
Old 06-26-07, 10:52 AM
nsf0607
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Chenzo26
No Problem, you might also want to beef up your suspension as well. I am pretty sure you will be putting more stress on such components as the ball joints and tie rods as well. You don't want those failing on you. Just a thought.
Agreed, good point.
Old 06-27-07, 02:45 PM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well another big thing people forget is tires. Great tires can help your stopping distances. After great tires, then start upgrading the brakes.
What are some "good" tires. Also with 20's, would you consider slotted Rotora's and Rotora SS lines as an upgrade? Or is the only real brake upgraded beefy calipers?
Old 06-27-07, 03:24 PM
Lexamatic
Pole Position

Just got back from the Tire shop discussing this very topic. The guy was very high on Michellin PS2s. I pressed him on Toyo Proxies, which he also spoke well of. He made a good point that its not just an issue of grip, but also ride quality and noise as the tires wear. He was ribbing me about my Goodyear Eagle F1-GSD3s. I do so love the grip of the F1s, but man so noisy when they're worn out. Only tire I think is worse for noise were my Bridgestone S03 Pole Positions.
Old 06-27-07, 05:54 PM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The factory GS brakes are very very good as long as your pads are not worn. No need upgrade them just because of a wheel size increase unless you want to for looks. If you take your car on a road racing track then you might want to look at a Big Brake Kit.

I was never a fan of Goodyear tires. I always laugh when my dad said "Goodyear can't make a round tire"
Old 06-28-07, 07:26 AM
nsf0607
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CDW91
The factory GS brakes are very very good as long as your pads are not worn. No need upgrade them just because of a wheel size increase unless you want to for looks. If you take your car on a road racing track then you might want to look at a Big Brake Kit.

I was never a fan of Goodyear tires. I always laugh when my dad said "Goodyear can't make a round tire"
Thanks for the headsup about stock brakes. I will do some more research before any brake mods. Will update with findings.
Old 06-28-07, 10:49 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Lexbox
What are some "good" tires. Also with 20's, would you consider slotted Rotora's and Rotora SS lines as an upgrade? Or is the only real brake upgraded beefy calipers?
THe Tire Rack's site has the best info on tire reviews. I think th eGOodyear F1s are the best thing out now and most expensive tires are good.

Cheaper tires simply do not provide the same grip in corners, thus if you brake very hard, they won't grip the road as well to stop the car.

Slotted Rotora's and SS lines are a brake upgrade but did you change the pads?
You start with Pads, they are the first and usually can help with most braking situations.

BBKs do not shorten stop distances. What they do is eliminate fade, so your 100th stop is as good as the 1st one. With stock brakes, they simply cannot dissipate the heat in time.
Old 06-28-07, 10:51 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by CDW91

This is true, stock the GS have some of the shortest stopping distances around, 112-118ft. That is very very good and was SUPERB back in 1998.

Quick Reply: Upgrade brake question