Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Comparison of Bilstein HD/Ltuned combo to Tein Flex

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-07, 11:39 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Comparison of Bilstein HD/Ltuned combo to Tein Flex

Ok I though you guys might want to read and have a comparison of Bilstein HD shocks with L-tuned springs compared to the Tein Flex system. I recently had an opportunity to drive both back to back. There might be some misconceptions on this forum.

The Cars.
2001 GS430 Bilstein HD Shocks and L-Tuned springs, stock 17' rims.
1998 GS300 Tein Flex Coilovers, stock 17' rims.
2001 GS430 KYB GR2 Shocks and L-Tuned springs, stock 17' rims.

The Tein Flex coilover system at the softest setting is actually softer than the Bilstein HD and L-tuned combo. There is not doubt about it. 3 people were witnesses to this, and everyone agreed that the Flex is actually more driver friendly. When I first did my Bilstein HD/L-tunes combo, I couldn't find anything to compare it too but stock. I always felt that it was an improvement in ride and handling, but damn, a $500 - $600 more and you could have a much better, adjustable system.

The only thing I am still debating is if all my other mods are making my ride more harsh. I have TRD LCB, Carson STB, Tom's 6-Link, Daizen Steering Bushings, and Daizen Control Arm Bushings. I am 100% sure that this makes my car a stiffer ride, but not sure if that is enough to make the Flex seem softer. Two clicks up on the Flex and it is stiffer than my setup.

KYB GR2 with L-tuned shocks is a lot softer than both systems. It did not seem like it performed anywhere close to the other two. The car was still floaty and borderline unstable on highway bumps/dividers.

Conclusion: If you got the money, go for coilovers. If you want a really close to stock ride, with a little drop, go with KYB GR2 shocks and L-Tuned spring setup. If you want a stiffer more performance oriented ride, and don't have the lettuce to buy coils, go with Bilstein HD or Sports with L-tunes springs.

P.S. I recant my previous belief that Bilstein HD was close to stock ride. I would guess it to be around 20%-30% stiffer than KYB GR2 (L-tuned) shock.
Old 05-29-07, 11:50 AM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

slickgt1, question-i'm on the fence between bilsteins vs kyb's. i've ridden on a espelir/kyb combo, stock, but none others.

so my question: would you say when riding on bilsteins, when you hit bumps, do you feel soft or hard bump in the car?
also, performance, on the bilsteins, is there still a stock/floaty feeling (less than the kyb's)?

thx for your input.
Old 05-29-07, 01:31 PM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

See the Bilsteins perform really well. Especially when the roads are nice. Here in NYC there are times when the ride is rattling your entire car. On nice roads, they feel great, way better than KYB. KYB is really good if your daily drive is on pothole roads. And no, bilstein have a much more controlled feeling than the KYB, there is no floating around, and great responce.
Old 06-03-07, 09:02 AM
movinquick
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

i use to hate the way the flex's drove. it was rough and i felt a bang on every pothole. i wanted to get rid of the coilovers until slick drove my car. he told m the lower ball joints were broken. he helped me change them and the tie rods (which one was leaking) and now my flex's ride 100% better.

before i had my flex's on the softest setting, now i prefer them 4 clicks from the hardest setting. with the flex set the way i have it now, i definitely notice that there is almost no body roll. i take turns pretty quickly and i don't experience "float" on the highway either.

the flex is also pretty good on smooth roads, once the roads get bumpy, you start hearing a clunk sound when passing thru the bumps. but i do believe if your into performance, the flex is best for you.

someone also told me that i need to send in the coilover for service at around 30k-40k. i don't know if i like that but there are only about 11k on mine so i guess i have time. i might still switch to springs and shocks so i can put them on and forget about them.

btw. the other day a nut or bolt or whatever is on top of the front right coilover came loose (under the hood). it made a crazy sound like it was going to fall a part. i went to a mechanic, he tightened it and the problem was solved. just in case any of you coilover people hear a sound like that, check to see if something came loose.
Old 06-05-07, 06:08 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Oooh, look who responded. Did you get your bushings yet?
Old 06-05-07, 11:20 AM
movinquick
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

nah man, still on back order.. still waiting..

you moved yet?
Old 06-05-07, 12:31 PM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Nah closing is next week. So holding my breath till then. It is a much nicer place to work on cars.