Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

L-Tuned Suspension Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-01, 02:12 PM
Grush
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

The L-Tune springs/shock set-up is very tempting, based on your feedback re its performance/comfort compared to stock 17". So what type of problems have people encountered...both functionally and annoyances?

Heck, my new '01 front suspension already sqeeks, and the cost of the L-Tune is close to the cost of a new air intake!

Even for mere daily commutes in Orange County, your comments are making the TC and the L-Tuned suspension sound like affordable improvements that raise the fun/performance factor, without diminishing the Lexus comfort factor.

Thanks for the input, Steve
Old 03-04-01, 07:10 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

No problems, except I can drive faster more confidently, which could be a problem .
Old 03-05-01, 01:19 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up l-tuned

Only 1 complaint about L-tuned (true of any lowering kit too though) if you have a front spoiler you have to be EXTREMELY careful on steep hills/driveways, you have to try and take it at an angle. I have slightly rubbed the bottom of my spoiler on a few hills, luckily at a crawling speed, but you need to watch it.
Old 03-05-01, 10:13 PM
Grush
Rookie

Question L-Tune under a Load

Any problem with carrying a car full of adults and the extra weight causing bottoming?????
Old 03-07-01, 09:51 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Wink Steve my man!

No qualms as of yet! But I've only had em' in 2 weeks! But the difference was worth every nickel! Of course I added the TRD strut tower bar at the same time. Can you say " NO BODY ROLL!"
Old 03-07-01, 08:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts
Default Re: Steve my man!

Originally posted by TXSTYLE
Can you say " NO BODY ROLL!"
hehe - and if you get the TRD front/rear sways, you can really say NO BODY ROLL - they're the icing on the cake.
Old 03-07-01, 09:46 PM
Grush
Rookie

Watch those curbs and dips now!! :eek:

Last edited by Grush; 03-11-01 at 06:05 AM.
Old 03-11-01, 12:40 AM
CJGS4
Rookie

Is there really a diff. between the TRD sways and the Intrax ones? Has anyone done a comparison betwen the two? Also for some reason it looks as though one side of my car is higher than the other after putting in my L-Tuned suspension.. I've had 2 front shocks replaced already from Longo.. They were squeaking after 1 month of use...

-Chris Y.
Old 03-11-01, 06:03 AM
Grush
Rookie

Question Installation

How difficult is it to replace the front sway
It goes through a plastic wall thru to the wheel well.

Chris, a little sqeak after it rains could be expected but should go a way, I would imagine. Try a little silicon spray on the bushings to quiet it down.
Old 03-13-01, 09:33 PM
RacingAristo

There is no sig quality difference between TRD and Intrax. TRD runs $150 to $200 more expansive than Intrax. What you get for the extra money is the name brand. I mean it's TRD. If you don't push your car to limit and plus money is one of the factor, by all mean, choose Intrax sway bar. I'm gonna pick one up myself once I save enough money.
Old 03-13-01, 11:02 PM
gmendoza
Driver School Candidate

Since I have the stock 16s currently on my 1998 GS300, how much will the L-Tuned package lower my car once I go with 18/7.5s on 245/40 18s all around? How will this look?
Old 03-13-01, 11:12 PM
Grush
Rookie

Best way to see comparison is looking at pics on the board.Heres some:
http://www.higginbottom.com/paul/cars/gs400.htm
Old 03-20-01, 06:34 PM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

Originally posted by RacingAristo
There is no sig quality difference between TRD and Intrax. TRD runs $150 to $200 more expansive than Intrax. What you get for the extra money is the name brand. I mean it's TRD. If you don't push your car to limit and plus money is one of the factor, by all mean, choose Intrax sway bar. I'm gonna pick one up myself once I save enough money.
I would have to disagree on your statement on the quality of the TRD vs Intrax. The TRD is much beefier and the bushings are high quality especially made for the car. Take the word of Bruce Nomura, who has seen both set-up and recommends the TRD. For the slight price difference, I would take TRD anyday.
Old 03-22-01, 09:32 PM
Grush
Rookie

Thumbs up L-Tuned installed!

Just installed the shocks/springs Fri nite with a mechanic buddy of mine. Great ride. Agree with all the prior comments by Scott. The biggest change for my '01 GS3 was 16" to 17" tires. The L-Tuning made it a little stiffer over bad road surfaces. It's worth the change hands down. I left off the rear badging.

OK. Now for the question. I do experience a small ping/knock sound from 2 wheels over small pot holes, speed bumps and entering a driveway (1" lip).

If I lift up on the wheel well, it would reproduce the sound. On the front it was pronounced and with some grinding I could feel by putting my finger on the top of the shock piston retaining nut. Steve Ganz sent me a new shock w/o thinking twice and it arrived the next day. Steve is to be commended. Installing the new shock eliminated the felt knock and grind, although a ping sound is still heard when entering the driveway, etc.

The right rear also started making this knock/ping that is heard when pulling into the driveway, and can be felt and reproduced by lifting up on the wheel well. All connections were rechecked and appear to be to spec.

Is this a normal occurrance? Is it just the tight suspension and high pressure tires ? Go try lifting up on the wheel well of your cars and see if you get a knock/ping. This just doesn't make too much sense to me or my mechanic, who has 20 years experience and used to work for Toyota. Any input would be appreciated and probably helpful to all.

Thanks
Old 03-22-01, 10:03 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default based on my memo....

if memory serves me correctly, what you are experiencing may be the way your shocks are not sitting correctly. i am no expertise in the field. but i have read from the old, old forum where some members experienced the exact same sound as you described.

i am certain your buddy mech. is nothing but the best. however, there were members who heard the same sound as you described and took it back to their tech and was told that even a slight off in the way the shocks are set can be the diff of night and day. hence the ping sound.

there were several members encountered the same probs. and there are also ones who installed either the l-tune or bilstein/eibach who heard nothing of this sort.

Quick Reply: L-Tuned Suspension Problems?