Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Brake dust TSB for is250 owners (TSB now released, attached) merged threads

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-07, 08:43 AM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by javyLSU
Lexus does reimburse the dealership for any warranty work done, but why would they get reimbursed for a part that wasn't replaced? That doesn't make any sense at all to me, and sounds like a story they're using just to make people go away.

Javier
I don't think they are getting reimbursed for the rotors. As I said in my post, the rotor part #s are there for the purpose of outlining what parts are related to the brake system. I believe it's for reference only. He said the main thing is the OP Code description is only for the brake pads and/or shims. Now if someone can explain what OFP stands for, maybe we can understand better.
Old 05-16-07, 09:35 PM
GordoNx3o9
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone here from NYC went to the dealer for this? I'm going to call Lexus of Queens and Manhattan this Thursday see what they say. I have 12,500 miles on my car, should I wait?
Old 05-16-07, 10:16 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

i just dont get why you guys are arguing to get new rotors for.. maybe cause its free.. but i thought the tsb came out just for the excessive brake dust and the brake pads were the only thing causing it.. therefor you only get your brake pads replaced..
Old 05-16-07, 11:34 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by javyLSU
The dealerships can deny this all they want - the proof is in the pudding. If I were getting this TSIB done, which I'm not, I would certainly ask them to explain to me why the TSIB specifically lists the rotors (by part number) as pieces to be replaced. Be nice, but be firm to get what you want.

Javier
You're missing out Javy. The new pads are way better IMHO. Far easier to modulate than the original ones. I really think they chose the original pads so the under 5' female crowd would be able to brake hard with very little pedal effort. Even with the new pads, I have to recalibrate my foot when going from the tC or the Supra to the IS. Both those platforms ask for more pressure than the IS even with the new pads.

Still, the new pads are quieter, smoother, and far more progressive than the original ones. I still had over 70% of my pads left when I had them changed, and I would not choose to go back for anything.
Old 05-17-07, 04:13 AM
w4rjd
Pole Position

I have had the new pads since the end of April (yes before the TSB was official. my SA is outstanding and picked up on the new pads when they first arrived at the parts department). These are great. I would not go back tot he old ones for anything.

Ollie
Old 05-17-07, 07:20 AM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Originally Posted by M1sTa801
i just dont get why you guys are arguing to get new rotors for.. maybe cause its free.. but i thought the tsb came out just for the excessive brake dust and the brake pads were the only thing causing it.. therefor you only get your brake pads replaced..
I don't think anyone here is arguing to get new rotors. We are just trying to understand why they list the part #s for them in the TSB. I for one don't care for new rotors as long as the original ones will be fine with the new pads.
Old 05-17-07, 07:33 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Since my car only has 1700 miles on it im not really worried about the rotors being changed anyway. All I want is to get rid of the damn dust!!! Its gross and could ruin my chrome!
Old 05-17-07, 07:45 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
You're missing out Javy. The new pads are way better IMHO. Far easier to modulate than the original ones. I really think they chose the original pads so the under 5' female crowd would be able to brake hard with very little pedal effort. Even with the new pads, I have to recalibrate my foot when going from the tC or the Supra to the IS. Both those platforms ask for more pressure than the IS even with the new pads.

Still, the new pads are quieter, smoother, and far more progressive than the original ones. I still had over 70% of my pads left when I had them changed, and I would not choose to go back for anything.
Haha, thanks, but I've never really had a problem modulating the brakes on this car. I like the aggressiveness the original compound offers, and I'm not getting near the levels of brake dust that others have posted, so I'm happy with these pads for now. Now if I had a MKIV like you, then I'd definitely get the new pads because my foot would be VEEERRRY tired...

Javier
Old 05-20-07, 11:17 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Okay, just got back from the dealership and had the brake pads changed. They did not replace my rotors, and as far as I know did nothing else except a really crappy wash job that I asked them not to do! Its about a 30 minute drive home on freeway and surface, so I go to get a good feel for them and I like them MUCH better! They feel smoother somehow, and IMO stronger. Ill have to post later about the dust....
Old 05-20-07, 11:22 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

spoke with my sweet service advisor at Lexus and she said that in order for Lexus to honor the TSB, there must be AT LEAST 4-5/32 left on the pad.
Old 05-22-07, 05:13 AM
syn1313
Rookie

went to my dealer with TSB in hand, cool attitude and asked , "can you change my brake pads for the less dusty ones" (trying to be nice here).. first came the "did you know you lose 3 feet of stopping with these pads?" , uhm yeah (still playing stupid) "thats fine, but the brake dust. Sat me down and then looked in my records, "You came here about 3 months ago for brake noise" Yeap.. that's me,, i told you something was wrong but you did not help me the first time. (starting to get upset) "well we can order you the brake pads, ohh i see you need rotors too" " these brake pads cost about $75 each and the rotors are" Wait a F^%$ second .. i have a TSB in hand.. "Yeah but you came here before with a brake probelm and we told you you need brakes, you have to buy these pads, you have to many miles on your car." ahhhhhhhhhh "what ever" kiss my >>>>>>>> (all in my head) o.k sir, can you order me the pads and call me when they come in.
Old 05-22-07, 05:15 AM
syn1313
Rookie

What do i do now,, just bite the bullet and bend over?
Old 05-22-07, 12:59 PM
rroy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by syn1313
What was your original brake problem? When I brought mine in, I had a history of complaints regarding the squeaking; but I had never mentioned anything about the dust until the day i brought in the tsb. I guess i just dont understand why so many dealers are raising the red flag with ths issue. If you are unhappy with the brake dust, then they should have to change the rotors and pads. Done deal right?? (apparently not). The only exception I can see is if your pads are completely worn out and you had never complained about the dust in the past. Then I can imagine the dealer thinking you're trying to pull a fast one and attempting to get a free brake change.

It shouldnt be an "if your dealer likes you, you'll get new rotors too" type of issue...Have any of you with difficulties getting this done asked your dealer to look up the part numbers listed on the tsb to prove to them that it's a pad/rotor combination part number? (I think this is how it is listed--correct me if im wrong)

Last edited by rroy; 05-22-07 at 01:04 PM.
Old 05-22-07, 02:36 PM
inecstaz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by syn1313

I suggest you go to another dealer. I've had my car for about a year now, and the dealer I went to replaced my brake pads no question. They did however suggest I resurface my rotors, which I declined. (They just want to make money).

You do not have to pay for the new pads. You should call another dealer or complain to headquarters about their service.
Old 05-22-07, 07:38 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rroy
What was your original brake problem? When I brought mine in, I had a history of complaints regarding the squeaking; but I had never mentioned anything about the dust until the day i brought in the tsb. I guess i just dont understand why so many dealers are raising the red flag with ths issue. If you are unhappy with the brake dust, then they should have to change the rotors and pads. Done deal right?? (apparently not). The only exception I can see is if your pads are completely worn out and you had never complained about the dust in the past. Then I can imagine the dealer thinking you're trying to pull a fast one and attempting to get a free brake change.

It shouldnt be an "if your dealer likes you, you'll get new rotors too" type of issue...Have any of you with difficulties getting this done asked your dealer to look up the part numbers listed on the tsb to prove to them that it's a pad/rotor combination part number? (I think this is how it is listed--correct me if im wrong)
Highway miles?

Quick Reply: Brake dust TSB for is250 owners (TSB now released, attached) merged threads