Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

DIY: IS350 front brakes (w/o removing caliper)

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-11, 12:52 PM
allst4r
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by greg0723
oh yea where can i buy a 2' c clamp home depot?
autozone 2 bucks
Old 04-03-11, 06:39 PM
Wasawat
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can try it with himself...Thank you
Old 06-12-11, 10:24 AM
Focker
Driver School Candidate

Did the brakes yesterday - Easily the easiest brake job I've ever done.

Couple of items I would add - Get yourself a box of disposable blue nitrile gloves, they work awesome, keep hands very clean.

Other one was that from motorcycle racing, I use a brass bristle brush and the brake clean and carefully clean the caliper. Also, I added a thin layer of grease on the caliper where the pads contact the caliper (top and bottom).
Old 06-12-11, 10:36 AM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

Is this the same process for the rear brakes?
Old 06-12-11, 11:18 AM
Focker
Driver School Candidate

Different process. Fronts are a fixed caliper with single pin holding pads. Rears are a sliding caliper with 2 pins and little different springs.

For the rears, I'm in Vancouver but my car is a California car with very minimal corrosion. I would suggest when you do the rears to use anti seize or brake grease on the caliper slide. Always a good idea on front and rear to clean the caliper pistons with brake clean and a brass bristle brush. Be careful of the dust seals, do not use anything more aggresive than brass as you can scratch/score the pistons.

Here's a rear brake link.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...s-of-pics.html
Old 06-12-11, 11:44 AM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

^^^ thanks for the tips
Old 06-18-11, 06:57 AM
IStnr
Rookie

used this thread and the link posted above to do mine the other week and am very pleased with the results. thanks for all the info!

centric premium rotors
oem pads
black caliper paint
Old 07-25-11, 01:02 PM
heybmcgill
Driver School Candidate

Default TSIB OEM high dust output brake pads

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Call your dealer and tell him you're experiencing excessive brake dust on your front brakes, and you've heard there is a TSIB to correct this issue with alternative low-dust pads. Then tell him you'd like to schedule your appointment to have this done.

Voila, low-dust pads, installed by the dealer, free.
When I called my service rep in Bellevue, WA they said a TSIB isn't paid for by dealer since its not a "recall". Does this differ by who I talk to? What are the specifics I'm missing when talking to them? I told them I saw a TSIB about high dust output from factory brakes. I got no love on the free service offer.
Old 07-25-11, 02:07 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by heybmcgill
When I called my service rep in Bellevue, WA they said a TSIB isn't paid for by dealer since its not a "recall". Does this differ by who I talk to? What are the specifics I'm missing when talking to them? I told them I saw a TSIB about high dust output from factory brakes. I got no love on the free service offer.
it's not paid for "by a dealer" it's paid for by Lexus, since it's a free repair under your factory warranty.

If you're beyond the 4yr/50k mile warranty period then you're out of luck on getting it free.

A recall, on the other hand, is free regardless of warranty status.
Old 08-08-11, 06:57 PM
1scGS460h
Driver School Candidate

Hello All!
First and foremost! hi! im new to the thread.. not to the car world, but to the thread and the lexus community!

So let me get this loud and clear?.. this DIY will work on Is250/350 GS300/350/460/ and 460h?..

I've been digging around and found that there has been a lot of break squeling and brake dust madness in the front wheels of my 2007 GS450h. I have all the proper tools just wanted to get clarification.. cause im going to try out a different Aftermarket brake pad set like EBC?.. just because it seems like OEM Toyota/lexus pads have been giving a lot of people problems.. but IF this is the techniques for doing a brake job on my 450h also then awesome!! i will too post something reviews and insight on other brake pad systems!

Well.. thanks for all the help! AND GREAT RIGHT UP!!
Old 11-08-11, 11:42 PM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

Do you apply the anti squeal paste between the brake pad and the shim as well as between the shim and the piston? Also I have read that the brake caliper sometimes seizes on the GS 350 for the rear so what is recommended to lubricate the caliper and how does one do so?

Also how would one tell if the rear caliper is seized.

Last edited by imjohnphan; 11-09-11 at 12:17 AM.
Old 11-09-11, 05:18 PM
Mike_1GO
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

this is why i love is350 calipers, great monoblock design and easy to change the pads!
Old 11-09-11, 05:31 PM
Lexs350
Driver

@ IMJOHNPHAN,

Just did my front brakes for 08 is350. Went with aftermarket pads. New Pads came with one layer of shims secured onto back of pad. I had to use the other shim off of the original pad and used that blue brake quite paste stuff. No noise at all. Worked fantastic. Just put a small bead on the shim and place ontop of the pad.

Hope this helps.....Good Luck
Old 12-12-11, 12:28 PM
m32
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Guys, quick question.

Did you disconnect your battery before you did this? I have a 3GS and some of the other 3GS members were getting error messages on the dash b/c they didn't disconnect the battery (something to do with a reverse flow from pushing the calipers back in?)

Edwin
Old 12-12-11, 01:52 PM
Lexs350
Driver

Never heard of that....No... I never disconnected my battary when replacing pads or Rotors. Once you remove your old pads use a C-Clamp to push the Piston back in. Reason being your new pads will be thicker (new) and it will not fit into the caliper unless you push in the pistons;

Quick Reply: DIY: IS350 front brakes (w/o removing caliper)