Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Appearence VS riding stiffness

Old 04-12-07, 11:18 PM
Hectorm
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Appearence VS riding stiffness

Folk, I thing eveyone of us make the modifications to our cars thinking in the appearence but beside this, how a mod to the suspension, (coilovers, lowering springs, bigger wheel/tires) how this change the behavior...the riding comfort to our vehicles??
I w'd like to have a beautiful car but would'nt like to loose the comfort...

Some people here take photos & notes of the time to make mod... but have any of you have make a comparison of the topic I'm taking about??

The "before & after" beyond the modification...
Would like to hear your voices...
thanks
Old 04-12-07, 11:48 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Anything you do to your suspension will alter the ride, and its usually for the worse. The stock suspension is probably the most comfortable ride you can get (and no, not even Tein CS can match it).

If you want to have a comfortable ride, look for a springs that have spring rates as close to stock (espelir, eibach, and l-tuned springs), and shocks with softer rebound.

I've noticed that even with my L-tuned springs, you do feel more of the road, but it's nothing unbearable.
Old 04-13-07, 05:37 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

Yes the CS are nice but if your worried about stiffness than coils or springs may not be for you.. A Lot of us sacrifice a little softness for the look that we want to achieve. When adding sways, strut bars, and rear bars it makes the car more stiff.. Do a search and read others thought and what they did.. There's tons of articles on this subject.. GL...
Old 04-13-07, 05:44 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

there is little compromise between comfort and perf and looks

once you lower the car regardless of spring type and rate you are reducing the strut travel considerably , remember spring rate has more to do with controlling the motion of the body whereas struts/shocks control the ocilation of the said springs . once you shorten the travel of the damper your rebound to bumps and the like quicken so you have more road feel.
Old 04-13-07, 06:37 PM
o2GS43o
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to sacrifice one for the other, with my Tein CS, i do have the look, not to agressive, but still retain some of the comfort...
Old 04-13-07, 09:19 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i honestly hated riding stock, the supension was all floty at higher speeds, like cadilac. like some of the post here said, try to get lowering springs that are close to stock on spring rate. check out NF210 by Tanabe, people here claim they are the most comfortable springs around. Also, remember tires make a diffrence in road feel. the bigger the tire's side wall, the less your suspention has to do all the work.
Old 04-15-07, 12:52 PM
jaymil31
Driver

Cool re

Okay I hear everything the guys are saying but a beg to differ with some of your thoughts on colovers. There are coilovers that come real close to a stock ride but they are expensive (HKS 36 way adjustable LS SERIES) . The teins are good but the only thing they lack because of construction is the way how they adjust vehicle height. The more expensive coilovers adjust the ride height by way of the monotube instead of the coilover spring. Having the adjustment at the base of the tube does not take away the full strut or shock travel. So there is away to acheive the ride comfort you desire. First find out what is the stock spring weight and custom order your coilover spring to the stock spring maybe a little stiffer. Make shore there is a adjustment on the lower end of the coilover monotube to lower you vehicle. By doing this the only thing that you are changing is the ride height not the spring tension or suspension travel......
Old 04-15-07, 01:01 PM
LexFather

If the spring rate is the same or close to the OEM spring rate, you can keep the stock ride pretty much with a lower drop.
Old 04-15-07, 10:25 PM
Hectorm
Pole Position

Will like to see some examples. Lead me to a site that describe one of these.
Its better to figure out when I'm seing what I'm looking for.
thks
Old 04-16-07, 12:37 AM
suprandsc
Lead Lap

I heard espeilr springs have same rates as stocks.
Old 04-16-07, 01:15 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Keep in mind, you want less suspesion travel(stiffer suspension) when you lower the car. You're gonna be bottoming out all day if your car is low and the suspension is really soft.
Old 04-16-07, 01:27 AM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jaymil31
Okay I hear everything the guys are saying but a beg to differ with some of your thoughts on colovers. There are coilovers that come real close to a stock ride but they are expensive (HKS 36 way adjustable LS SERIES) . The teins are good but the only thing they lack because of construction is the way how they adjust vehicle height. The more expensive coilovers adjust the ride height by way of the monotube instead of the coilover spring. Having the adjustment at the base of the tube does not take away the full strut or shock travel. So there is away to acheive the ride comfort you desire. First find out what is the stock spring weight and custom order your coilover spring to the stock spring maybe a little stiffer. Make shore there is a adjustment on the lower end of the coilover monotube to lower you vehicle. By doing this the only thing that you are changing is the ride height not the spring tension or suspension travel......
TEIN HA, FLEX, and a few other ones are both ride height/damping adjustable. people dont want to spend the money, or think that they are too stiff to deal with. oh welll, i prefer being low/not blowing out my shocks, and still having a good coilover setup.
Old 04-16-07, 08:45 AM
Scott1258
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jaymil31

Jay,

Are you saying that the HKS coilovers have this ability? And is this one of the differences between the HKS LS and LS+ and the Tein CS coils is that the ride hight is adjusted differently?

I've wanted to know what the big difference is between the HKS LS and LS+ coilover system and the Tein CS system is. Are there any other differences between the two? And is the ride similar or different in the HKS and the Tein systems? Has anyone riden on both? Chime in!

I'm considering both so I'd love to hear peoples opinions on each.