Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

The IS250 brake dust is just as bad as the IS350's, proof inside.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-07, 02:17 PM
r4z0r3ck
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the 350 is worst than that. After a 50 mile commute it sometimes gets BLACK! around the corner of the spokes.
Old 04-03-07, 02:23 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by r4z0r3ck
the 350 is worst than that. After a 50 mile commute it sometimes gets BLACK! around the corner of the spokes.
Mine were black at the corner of the spokes. The dust likes to collect on the corners more because the dust can't escape as easily around the corners. I just didnt take a picture of that.

There is no difference in brake dust btw IS250 and IS350's. The difference is in driving styles on how much dust you collect on the rims.
Old 04-03-07, 02:54 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I can hear the BMW boys laughing and rolling around on the floor about the namby pamby Lexus owner's who are emotionally scarred about brake dust appearing on their wheels. C'mon, do IS owners want performance or not? Or do we trade off something as distinctive as braking performance for a possibly less efficient replacement in a supposedly PERFORMANCE CAR? And we wonder why Toyota doesn't want to offer things like manual transmissions and AWD in their higher performance platforms. Sheesh.
Old 04-03-07, 03:29 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not too many of the people screaming and demanding for new brake pads here even mention what other possible tradeoffs there are. There might not be much, but it's curious that nobody is even asking.

You know, I bet if you removed the front brakes, you'd get much less brake dust on the front wheels. There are still brakes on the rear wheels, so that'll be fine! Worked fine on my bicycle...
Old 04-03-07, 04:09 PM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL............. yeah who needs front brakes. they are overated
Old 04-04-07, 06:37 AM
gassman
Pole Position

So far I have not had this problem. After a day or 2 the dust is noticable, but not like everyone is reporting. Is this unusual to not have exess brake dust?
Old 04-04-07, 07:25 AM
tt061880
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Evitzee
I can hear the BMW boys laughing and rolling around on the floor about the namby pamby Lexus owner's who are emotionally scarred about brake dust appearing on their wheels. C'mon, do IS owners want performance or not? Or do we trade off something as distinctive as braking performance for a possibly less efficient replacement in a supposedly PERFORMANCE CAR? And we wonder why Toyota doesn't want to offer things like manual transmissions and AWD in their higher performance platforms. Sheesh.
I doubt they're laughing, they're just complaining about it as much as we do but it just sad that BMW doesn't do anything about it. My gf drives an E46 330CI and she cry about brake dust all the time. Her car's braking performance is nowhere near as good as the IS350 I have. Even after I use the TSB to change out the brake pads, I still get better braking performance than hers. For thsoe of us that drive a lot like myself(22k in 9 months), brake dust is a pain in the neck. You can count on washing your wheels amost every two days if you drive a lot, if you dont' the brake dust gonna stick to your wheels and destroy it and I don' have time to do that.
Old 04-04-07, 08:02 AM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by IS_Mine
All you guys can do is call Lexus corporate. If enough people call with the issue they will do something about it. Look at the IS350.
EVERYONE DO THIS SO WE CAN GET A TSB FOR OUR CARR!!
Old 04-04-07, 08:09 AM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
I washed my car, cleaned all the wheels. No brake dust in site. Then I went for a drive to Laguna Beach and Newport Beach from North OC.

I just drove 54 miles round trip. No heavy traffic at all, no stop and go, etc. Just a normal drive.

This is how much brake dust I get just after 54 miles of driving!! This sucks.

Us IS250 owners need a TSB too.

i know the 250 is bad but to tell you the truth... i have two friends that have the 250 ... and it really can't compare to how bad the brake dust is on the 350.... i've seen both cars many times.. it really doesn't compare...

yes your 250 brake dust is bad, but in comparison to the 350... it's not all that bad..you have to understand that for the 350 .. it actually turns really really dark gray .. close to blk...
Old 04-04-07, 08:29 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

You could say ANY car in Cali need the TSB then. Every car on the road there has the problem.
Old 04-04-07, 09:07 AM
Dj Rando
Pole Position

Originally Posted by M1sTa801
Ok, I am in the dark here. I don't quite know what everyone is saying that there is an option with lexus to fix the dust on the 350? I know nothing about it. Please inform.
Old 04-04-07, 11:20 AM
linh811
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
I washed my car, cleaned all the wheels. No brake dust in site. Then I went for a drive to Laguna Beach and Newport Beach from North OC.

I just drove 54 miles round trip. No heavy traffic at all, no stop and go, etc. Just a normal drive.

This is how much brake dust I get just after 54 miles of driving!! This sucks.

Us IS250 owners need a TSB too.

54 miles???

My roundtrip to work and back is less than 2 miles and thats how mine look after a clean wash then going to work and home... Admittedly there are about 10 stop signs and 3 lights in those 2 miles...
Old 04-04-07, 11:29 AM
flyfl1pguy

Originally Posted by M1sTa801
im calling them right now. . .
Phone: 1-800-255-3987
Old 04-04-07, 11:41 AM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flyfl1pguy
im calling them right now. . .
Phone: 1-800-255-3987
With the barrage of complaints Lexus is going to get about the brake dust, they are going to assume that they got the sport/luxury balance of the car wrong.

They are going to take these data points and figure out that even their youngest buyers of the IS250 only care about their car appearance and/or getting a free set of brake pads. With this data in hand, can you blame them if they assume that upping the HP on the IS250 will not be a priority? After all, these TSBs will have to be paid for somewhere. Whether its via R&D for an upgraded engine in the future, or price increases on IS's, the people complaining run the risk of Lexus further going away from sporty intentions for the IS car.

Just clean your wheels if you care that much or grow a pair!!! Stop being so prissy about your shiny wheels.
Old 04-04-07, 11:54 AM
G35TOIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kilo6_one
yeah its pretty redicoulous how much dust is emmited, im thinking of getting some EBC pads soon.
wont be much better with an EBC pad. will have red/clay colored dust instead of black.

Quick Reply: The IS250 brake dust is just as bad as the IS350's, proof inside.