Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Help! Strange noise coming from Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-01, 06:48 AM
Shinchan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Help! Strange noise coming from Suspension

While on the road to Montreal on Thanksgiving, I hit a nasty pothole on the stupid Vermont highway, noise are coming from the suspension. Every uneven surface of the road can be heard with “clonk clonk”. Felt like something was loose somewhere. Althought the rims did not get damage nor did the tires… (The wonder of the 16” High Profile stock tires”) the noise made me worry. I have crow on the ground to check the car while on the highway stop. I could not spot anything that was loose.. ie I check my TRD Sway and LCB. They are undamaged nor are they loose.. the only thing that I could not check is the suspension. Oh.. by the way, I have trunk full of luggage and 4 adult. The back of the car felt like its been lower with the aggressive spring of 2” inches.. which by the way looks really really cool..

But now, every cracks, lines, minor hole on the road, the suspension will have the “clonk clonk” noise.. help.. help…. I have Bilstein Sports Shock and Eibach pro spring.

I know that the TRD Sway will make you felt every imperfection on the road, but I don’t remember that It been clonk clonk..

I am going to get the car fix on Thursday for some unfinished task that was left from the last service by dealer..also get the snow tire install. And as some of you seen my previous post, I also need the antitheft lug nut removed…. Oh boy.. everything happens at the same time.
Old 11-26-01, 10:37 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

shin,

have the shop check to see if the spring/ shcoks are being "seated" properly. also, are you using the fcatory bump stop?
Old 11-26-01, 01:38 PM
Shinchan
Lead Lap

the bump stop?? I told my original shop to install it.. but never know.. I guess, I will open up the the old spring and shock package and check if the bump stop is there..

Thanks Will
Old 11-26-01, 10:11 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sure...hate those annoying noise..some cl guys use the l-tuned shock bump stop, and had noise prob when they go over spped bumps. for the ones who use the old, stock factory one, no problem at all.
Old 12-01-01, 02:19 PM
lex430
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by gs4will
sure...hate those annoying noise..some cl guys use the l-tuned shock bump stop, and had noise prob when they go over spped bumps. for the ones who use the old, stock factory one, no problem at all.
When I bought my L-Tuned from Steve, he said this only applies to 2001+ cars, so it's ok to use the lTuned bump stop for earlier ones.
Old 12-01-01, 05:56 PM
Shinchan
Lead Lap

I found my problem after spending 2 hours at early morning (6:00AM)... F the dealership. I will do my own diag. I am going to post my finding in a new post. Its farily important for everyone with TRD Sway bar to take a look and feed back. ( Root cause of the problem).

thank