Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

steering wheel free play?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-07, 10:58 PM
510alex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering wheel free play?

i own a 99 gs3, lately my steering wheel column is "loose" or has a a lot of free play. when i hit a uneven road or a bump on the freeway my car rocks left to right up and down like a boat. steering wheel rocks left and right so car ends up swaying left and right like im tugging on the wheel side to side or like my shocks are dead. i recently changed my driver side ball joint when it started making this squaking squeaky clicking noise. my alignment is kinda off because i never realigned it since changing the ball joint. would that be the reason? i even sold my 20s because i thought that was the cause of all this. everything is stock besides riding on the 02 gs3 wheels. tires has a slight camberwear on the inside but more on the driver side, now i have to deal with this problem anybody have any remedies to solve this? makes me want to give up owning a lexus cause of this irritating problem. please help
Old 03-28-07, 01:11 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

It could be your tires. I know when i had the same problem, changing to new tires helped tremendously. Also if you're having alignment problem, that could be part of it because the car isn't tracking correctly.
Old 03-28-07, 04:37 PM
510alex
Driver School Candidate

ok ill see what i can do but heres a little more detail info on the car and the symptons i got 140k, no accidents cars been fine up until when i replaced the driver side ball joint after experiencing the "symptons". but one thing i should of done was done a alignment after cause since then my steering wheel sits at a slight angle. so for one i know i need to do an alignment but even without it it was driving fine up until recently it just feels like i have no control of the steering wheel at time when the car hits a wave or bump on the road. the car rocks then the steering wheel rocks with it. i also noticed theres alot of "play" in the steering now also. feels like my rack is busted or something. i would just take it to the dealer but im more of a diy type of person. any suggestions or opinions would be aprreciated
Old 03-30-07, 09:31 AM
boosted-gs
Pole Position

Go get an anlignment....that why its squeeking~
i had the exact same problem changed the ball joints and the squeeking started and the ride was very rough~had anlignment and now its all good except the steering wheel thing where it chucks you one way and then the other from bumps
Old 03-30-07, 09:32 PM
510alex
Driver School Candidate

well i got the noise to go away when i got my ball joint replaced, but now im just trying to fix that steering wheel problem where the wheel turns or moves with the road, i know before it used to stay straight regardless of what bumps or waves i hit on the road. it just seems like the steering wheel has a mind of its own now. i dont know how to explain it but i know its not normal and i need it fixed asap. i know im going to get the daizen bushings like alot of people has suggested but im also wondering if thats exactly whats wrong with it
Old 03-30-07, 09:36 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

if your tire wear indicates that one side is wearing out faster than the other, you have an alignment problem.

Also, how much tread is left in the tire?
Old 03-30-07, 09:45 PM
sick_86
Driver School Candidate

I have the exact same problem! I own a 98' GS300 with 110k and everytime I go over a bump or any rough road my steering wheel goes crazy! I know for a fact it is "free play" because on the freeway over smooth road I can quickly jerk my steering wheel left and right and my car will still track straight. Question is ... HOW DO I FIX IT?
Old 03-31-07, 08:17 PM
510alex
Driver School Candidate

theres still a good amount of tread left i would say about 70% but the driver side is cambering worse than the passenger side. i have a feeling its really just my rack bushing going out OR it might have something to do with the tie rod? damn i wish someone knew exactly what was wrong with my car so i can get it fixed already!
Old 03-31-07, 09:47 PM
GoFaSSter
Driver

When my toe was not set just right, I had similiar issues with bumps and the wheel jerking. Once I got that sorted out it was all good.
Old 04-01-07, 03:31 PM
510alex
Driver School Candidate

whats a toe? haha sorry im a noob. i used to love being in my car and now i hate driving it. id really like to get this done but i want to pinpoint the problem before i go paying for everything to replace. please help me out so i can once again go proud of being a gs owner. as soon i as i get this fix im buying me another set of wheels that i ended up selling cause i thought was the cause of this problem