Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Cross Drilled Rotors for IS

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-07, 10:33 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350PRO
16 or 17 inch wheels with more sidewall would compromise performance. I agree that 18 inch wheels are fashionable but if you wanted performance {less side wall flex} from smaller wheels you would have to go lower profile and you'd still get the road noise.
Stop reading the magazines. They are hurting your ability to make good decisions without the marketing hype. Look at the examples posted above. Minimising sidewall flex is SOOOO over-rated...
Old 04-27-07, 11:14 PM
jurutera
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the most interesting performance thread that i've read so far. My oem rotors warped at 10000 Kilometres because of god knows what and the brakes starts making cracking noises wenever i make turns. Its replaced for free but now its starting to make that cracking noise again with only 1000 Kilometres on the rotors.

Anyways, now im starting to appreciate my 16's lol
Old 04-28-07, 12:40 AM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by javyLSU
It's not just rotors, it's a full BBK. Let's just say MSRP for both axles is gonna be pricey (more expensive than any BBK I've seen so far). I have no idea when they plan on releasing them.

Javier
ohh i see... i just wanted rotors...
Old 04-28-07, 06:51 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by al503
Gern, I was actually referring to cross-drilled rotors, not slotted. I started the paragraph and the numbers with "When you cross drill the rotors..."
I realize that you were talking about cross drilled rotors, but I still disagree about them always reducing surface area. The cross drilled rotors I had on my car years ago actually increased surface area to the air. However, the cross drilled rotors on my motorcycle did reduce the area. It just depends on the thickness of the rotors, and the shape / size of the holes.
Old 04-28-07, 09:27 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
I realize that you were talking about cross drilled rotors, but I still disagree about them always reducing surface area. The cross drilled rotors I had on my car years ago actually increased surface area to the air. However, the cross drilled rotors on my motorcycle did reduce the area. It just depends on the thickness of the rotors, and the shape / size of the holes.
If the holes are very, very small, in very thick rotors then yes, you can increase the surface area but they would have to be tiny. However, the aftermarket bbk/rotor manufacturers want to show off the holes and I don't know of any that make them with function over form besides possibly DBA.
Old 04-28-07, 09:44 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

If the holes are very, very small, in very thick rotors then yes, you can increase the surface area but they would have to be tiny. However, the aftermarket bbk/rotor manufacturers want to show off the holes and I don't know of any that make them with function over form besides possibly DBA.
They wouldn't necessarily have to be tiny holes on thick rotors either. Larger chamferred holes like the ones I had could have the same effect (ie. increased surface area).
Old 04-28-07, 10:09 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
They wouldn't necessarily have to be tiny holes on thick rotors either. Larger chamferred holes like the ones I had could have the same effect (ie. increased surface area).
I guess if you want to get into the theoretical since there isn't a manufacturer (that I know of) that does this....

You're still going to have reduced heat capacity with less rotor mass to deal with. Even if we take your hypothetical rotors with the chamferred holes as an example, the rotor will invariably reach a higher absolute temperature compared to the same rotor that is not drilled.

Whether it provides better cooling or not in between braking stints, the goal is to keep the absolute temperature as low as possible to prevent pad fade and to keep the fluid from boiling. No?
Old 04-28-07, 10:17 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

I guess if you want to get into the theoretical since there isn't a manufacturer (that I know of) that does this....

You're still going to have reduced heat capacity with less rotor mass to deal with. Even if we take your hypothetical rotors with the chamferred holes as an example, the rotor will invariably reach a higher absolute temperature compared to the same rotor that is not drilled.

Whether it provides better cooling or not in between braking stints, the goal is to keep the absolute temperature as low as possible to prevent pad fade and to keep the fluid from boiling. No?
I agree completely about the higher temperatures. At best, the drilled (or even slotted) rotors would reach higher temps, then hopefully cool down quickly enough on the straight before getting heated back up again. That is why I mentioned earlier in the thread about them having increased heat cycling.

However, the chamferred holes weren't theoretical. The drilled rotors I had on my '91 Integra were Brembo OEM blanks with chamferred holes.
Old 04-29-07, 05:34 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

The benefits of improving airflow to the brakes far exceeds any other modification for track use. None of these mods provide a measurable mechanical performance improvement for street use.

It is not difficult to improve brake airflow on the 2IS platforms. We already have ducts from the bumper into the wheel well, so fitting some kind of ducting would be pretty straight forward. I just wouldn't consider it for a street vehicle.
Old 08-14-07, 10:48 AM
phatboyc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
There are a lot of people who don't know much about brakes.
I was one of them brainwashed by aftermarket brakes marketing. Hey, if it looks more aggressive it must give better performance right? Wrong. Thanks to this thread and the Pulp Friction article I have been schooled. I like the way they start by saying "Your brakes do not stop your car." Sure got me interested to keep on reading. I'm not going to spoil it by posting what actually stops our cars. You have to read the article if you didn't already. It was written by an anti-lock braking engineer who races in the SCCA ITA class for fun.

Thanks for the link lobuxracer!
Pulp Friction Article
Old 09-07-07, 11:16 AM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

Bump up for a good thread....
Old 09-13-07, 12:30 PM
syn1313
Rookie

Damm... i just got schooled.. i love this Forum
Old 09-13-07, 02:06 PM
lexy250
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol i bet a lot of ppl who read that pulpfriction will be suprised....i know i was. thanks for that great info.
Old 09-19-07, 12:38 AM
weesped
Lexus Champion

humm, so im still wondering if any one has got these (purely for cosmetics). i do wonder how it looks on our cars
Old 09-19-07, 05:57 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

I'm sure they look very "exotic" to the uninformed.

Quick Reply: Cross Drilled Rotors for IS